Status
Not open for further replies.

Dufflebagz

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Mark on twitter:

"Headed to the airport, off to Boston... Another week living in the airport."

He then says....

"Everyone is assuming I'm visiting New England, maybe i have a connecting flight in Boston? Lol who knows"

Well, it's obvious he's visiting.....where's the Ingram haters and lovers?

PFT, investigative reporting you can trust to find the change in your couch. :cool:

I'm not totally sold on PFT either, but to their credit, they have gotten a lot bigger with Florio's guest spots on SNF, and the NBC buyout. They certainly have their ear to the street as much as anyone else.

The whole thing with Ingram is that we have reportedly heard this now from several sources...Peter King/SI, PFT, ESPN. All of them are not on the level that we'd like, but there is chatter regardless. It could very well be possible that BB is looking at him with the 1b pick at 28, or just considering all options.

Let me pose this question to you Box--What exactly makes you NOT think that we would take a RB in round 1? In a draft where there does not seem to be a clear cut winner, (and if he's there, he very well may be gone) I think the options are kind of narrowed down to be honest. Offense indeed needs addressed, as well as you know. Just b/c we had a high PPG average LAST yr really probably does not mean much to Belichick. In order to continue with that trend we need players at the skill positions...faster and younger.

It may very well be a difference of opinion, but I am not seeing DE with the first overall pick (for us.) I believe that will be addressed with 1b at 28, or maybe a trade up to achieve both in the early--mid 20's.

It's hard to predict anything with BB, especially this year with the labor situation and 3 high picks etc. One thing I can predict, if I may be so bold, is that we are exploring the RB option somewhere earlier than later. Just an opinion though.

Last edited:
Mark on twitter:

"Headed to the airport, off to Boston... Another week living in the airport."

He's staying for a full week? Right up until the Pats draft him? And why is he living in the airport? He definitely isn't getting the Tim Tebow and Jake Locker treatment!

He's staying for a full week? Right up until the Pats draft him? And why is he living in the airport? He definitely isn't getting the Tim Tebow and Jake Locker treatment!

They secured him a nice little cardboard box under the baggage claim area. Not to worry though, Belichick will be springing for the Ground Round again, and they will both have a laugh at our expense when he's trying out for OLB tomorrow.

I'd rather the Pats target LeShoure in the later rounds myself. If we go offense with one of our picks in the first round, I'd rather it be for a RG.

A first round RB. one with a low ceiling, I'll pass.

Taiwan Jones is the man!

I just can't see the Pats taking a first round running back; it doesn't make sense. They should take a RB in a later round but not in the first. It seems that according to reports Ingram is dropping in the draft and might be a good second round value.

Let me pose this question to you Box--What exactly makes you NOT think that we would take a RB in round 1?
I'm sure you can point to where I expressed hope NE would NOT take a RB in round one, but I'm pretty sure I've never said they wouldn't. ;) As to PFT, Adam Schefter retweets an item from Ingram, everything else is idle speculation and PFT's hard charging investigative reporting on this was a fresh breath of fetid air.

I'm leaning away from the DE theory myself, OT seems more likely, but NE is also sitting in the middle range where top picks commonly find themselves slipping amidst draft day chaos, at this point the only thing I'm not putting much faith on is ILB and P.

I just can't see the Pats taking a first round running back; it doesn't make sense. They should take a RB in a later round but not in the first.

Yes, your opinion is shared by the majority of Pats fans.

I was hoping Ingram wouldn't make the Pats pre-draft contacts list -- but now he has.

I suppose now is as good a time as any to finally reveal who sits atop my Pats Prospects list. And he has for two years.

Yes, your opinion is shared by the majority of Pats fans.

I was hoping Ingram wouldn't make the Pats pre-draft contacts list -- but now he has.

I suppose now is as good a time as any to finally reveal who sits atop my Pats Prospects list. And he has for two years.
Jake Locker?

If someone takes Ingram before 17 because they think BB will grab him there and he is not BB's primary target. Well, so much the better for us..........

If someone takes Ingram before 17 because they think BB will grab him there and he is not BB's primary target. Well, so much the better for us..........

Most likely the case, but I also have a feeling that Belichick would take a hard look at #28 if he were still around. I am not really sure why he shouldn't, as it is obviously a matter of opinion, but are we really supposed to think that BB wouldn't take a look at him? Most draft rankings have him in at least the top 10 overall talent rankings.

I am not sure why everyone assumes that his knee is so bad off. Is it? He missed all of TWO games in 3 years. There is obviously some information that I am admittedly missing (which frankly does not surprise me ;) ) He had a minor knee procedure almost a year ago, and missed all of 2 games.

He also never fumbled in his college career, just FWIW. Not once.

He has averaged 5.1 ypc, 6.1 ypc, and 5.5 ypc in his 3 yrs.

He scored 42 TD's in his 3 yrs, for an average of 14 a year. And it was consistent too, 12--17--13.

He can catch balls out of the backfield, having averaged 10.4 yds per catch and 13.4 yds per catch in his sophomore and junior yrs.

He is very athletic, having proven himself as a 2 time All-state track star in high school. He also played Cornerback in HS, and did it very well.

He does not have character issues whatsoever, and earned his degree a year ahead of schedule--proving his intelligence. He has bloodlines to the NFL with his dad having been a WR.

----

I am missing why most are not considering him as a possible NE Patriot? He certainly sounds like a Belichick type guy to me.

Most likely the case, but I also have a feeling that Belichick would take a hard look at #28 if he were still around. I am not really sure why he shouldn't, as it is obviously a matter of opinion, but are we really supposed to think that BB wouldn't take a look at him? Most draft rankings have him in at least the top 10 overall talent rankings.

I am not sure why everyone assumes that his knee is so bad off. Is it? He missed all of TWO games in 3 years. There is obviously some information that I am admittedly missing (which frankly does not surprise me ;) ) He had a minor knee procedure almost a year ago, and missed all of 2 games.

He also never fumbled in his college career, just FWIW. Not once.

He has averaged 5.1 ypc, 6.1 ypc, and 5.5 ypc in his 3 yrs.

He scored 42 TD's in his 3 yrs, for an average of 14 a year. And it was consistent too, 12--17--13.

He can catch balls out of the backfield, having averaged 10.4 yds per catch and 13.4 yds per catch in his sophomore and junior yrs.

He is very athletic, having proven himself as a 2 time All-state track star in high school. He also played Cornerback in HS, and did it very well.

He does not have character issues whatsoever, and earned his degree a year ahead of schedule--proving his intelligence. He has bloodlines to the NFL with his dad having been a WR.

----

I am missing why most are not considering him as a possible NE Patriot? He certainly sounds like a Belichick type guy to me.

I also think BB will take a hard look at Ingram. But there is more information to consider than just his knee.

As to the fumbling question, you're right that he fumbles infrequently but he does have 2 fumbles. His first against Tenn. set up a Vol TD & almost cost Bama the game in 2009. His 2nd against Auburn in '10 cost Bama 7 points as the Tide was ready to make that game a blowout. That fumble gave Auburn hope & shifted momentum for the balance of the game.

In '09, Ingram ran for 1658 yards and won the Heisman. But in '10, Ingram's yards fell to 875. That's a huge drop in production. His avg/carry went from 6.1 to 5.5. Why? Auburn had a lousy D in both '09 and '10, yet held Ingram to a 4.0 yd/carry avg. Could it be that Ingram is a product of Bama's great (or at least very good) OL and that his stats were padded to a degree against the lesser teams?

It's easy to point to his Heisman and to the 1658 yards he picked up as a junior, but you can't dismiss the drop to 875 yards last season, the knee injury or his lack of top end speed. BB has well known ties to Saban and I won't be totally surprised if BB drafts Ingram because of it.

Maybe it's because I've been reading this thread, but I thought of Ingram when I saw this comment from Belichick from his Sirius conversation, via Reiss:

Weeding through misinformation. Belichick said teams can gather information right up until draft day, but he stressed that the “most important thing that a player has is his 3 or 4 years of production and performance. That carries a lot of weight and that’s already in the books. That plays the biggest role in where the player’s actual value [ends up].”

Belichick talks draft with Sirius Radio - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

the guy is coming in so the patriots doctors can get a complete check up on him. they have to do their due diligence with that.

I also think BB will take a hard look at Ingram. But there is more information to consider than just his knee.

As to the fumbling question, you're right that he fumbles infrequently but he does have 2 fumbles. His first against Tenn. set up a Vol TD & almost cost Bama the game in 2009. His 2nd against Auburn in '10 cost Bama 7 points as the Tide was ready to make that game a blowout. That fumble gave Auburn hope & shifted momentum for the balance of the game.

In '09, Ingram ran for 1658 yards and won the Heisman. But in '10, Ingram's yards fell to 875. That's a huge drop in production. His avg/carry went from 6.1 to 5.5. Why? Auburn had a lousy D in both '09 and '10, yet held Ingram to a 4.0 yd/carry avg. Could it be that Ingram is a product of Bama's great (or at least very good) OL and that his stats were padded to a degree against the lesser teams?

It's easy to point to his Heisman and to the 1658 yards he picked up as a junior, but you can't dismiss the drop to 875 yards last season, the knee injury or his lack of top end speed. BB has well known ties to Saban and I won't be totally surprised if BB drafts Ingram because of it.

I've posted these links before, but I figured this might be a good place to consolidate the 2.

Ingram has 3 fumbles in 630 career touches. Which is excellent.

2011 NFL draft: Ball security is paramount for running back prospects - ESPN (insider content).

In terms of him vs. the OL, according to the article below, he had almost 1100 yards after contact in 2009. I would say that puts an end to the theory that he's a product of his OL. I do think that his worse year was probably a combination of his injury, worse OL, and having to share time with another excellent back.

Breaking down Mark Ingram | National Football Post

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes