Status
Not open for further replies.

jczxohn1

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
From MLBrandow at OTC Draft.com
21. New England Patriots - DeMeco Ryans, OLB Alabama
Scouts Inc. Team Needs: DC, LB, SS, RB, QB // AskTheCommish.com Salary Cap Status: Even
The Patriots naturally need playmaking Linebackers to make their defense run (remember when Tedy Bruschi came back from injury?). Ryans is a general on the field and a leader in the locker room. Supposing Bruschi won't be around forever, Ryans could be groomed to replace him in a few years. If this isn't isn't a Bill Belichick player, then I suppose he'll take someone else--honestly, we might as well just leave a New England-sized hole in our mocks, because this is the most impossible franchise to read. How many of you saw Corey Dillon to the Pats? How many saw Logan Mankins in the first round? These guys are nuts. I'm just going to concede defeat and quit speculating. Still, Ryans would be a solid addition to a linebacking corps that could always use more playmakers.
Other Options: Sinorice Moss, Trade Down, Tye Hill, Bobby Carpenter

Sometimes a view from the outside is refreshing.:D

jczxohn1 said:
From MLBrandow at OTC Draft.com
21. New England Patriots - DeMeco Ryans, OLB Alabama
Scouts Inc. Team Needs: DC, LB, SS, RB, QB // AskTheCommish.com Salary Cap Status: Even
The Patriots naturally need playmaking Linebackers to make their defense run (remember when Tedy Bruschi came back from injury?). Ryans is a general on the field and a leader in the locker room. Supposing Bruschi won't be around forever, Ryans could be groomed to replace him in a few years. If this isn't isn't a Bill Belichick player, then I suppose he'll take someone else--honestly, we might as well just leave a New England-sized hole in our mocks, because this is the most impossible franchise to read. How many of you saw Corey Dillon to the Pats? How many saw Logan Mankins in the first round? These guys are nuts. I'm just going to concede defeat and quit speculating. Still, Ryans would be a solid addition to a linebacking corps that could always use more playmakers.
Other Options: Sinorice Moss, Trade Down, Tye Hill, Bobby Carpenter

Sometimes a view from the outside is refreshing.:D
I love his frustration, [evil grin].

Let's start with his team needs: DC - we have one, Dean Pees, why do we want another already, did Buffalo sack Jauron?

LB - Is this a "need" or just an attempt to build depth?

SS - We're in good shape at S, depth all around.

RB - Again, "need" or a depth building exercise?

QB - ?????????????

Between Ryan, Moss, Hill, and Carpenter he lists one player whose measurables and skill set fits in the Pats' system, poor guy, no wonder he's frustrated

Last edited:
does Hill not have the size to fit our system? I think if Hill is there at 21 we would have to take him.

thecrazyeye said:
does Hill not have the size to fit our system? I think if Hill is there at 21 we would have to take him.
I'm not too worried about his size, the question was raised in another thread about how physical he is. I just think he isn't developed enough as a player to be a first round pick, he relies on his speed to bail him out, which is a nice tool, but is going to get you burned in the pros.

Box_O_Rocks said:
With McGinest being cut... it looks like it is creeping into the "needs" section.

Box_O_Rocks said:
I love his frustration, [evil grin].

Let's start with his team needs: DC - we have one, Dean Pees, why do we want another already, did Buffalo sack Jauron?

SS - We're in good shape at S, depth all around.

RB - Again, "need" or a depth building exercise?

QB - ?????????????

Between Ryan, Moss, Hill, and Carpenter he lists one player whose measurables and skill set fits in the Pats' system, poor guy, no wonder he's frustrated

I agree that we dont need a quarterback. We have Brady (Todays Joe Montana) and Cassel (The preseason game when he ran alot reminded me of Steve Young, just right handed). We may need to pick up a free agent, but we shouldnt be wasting a draft pick on a quarterback (unless vince young drops down long enough for the pats to pick him up).

My pick? Grab a linebacker, a young WR, and a CB.

I agree with Box, it's really hard to project Ryans at 215-220 lbs, playing OLB and taking on OTs and TE's in the running game; let alone sealing the corner on sweeps.

And while I would never say never with BB, just because I remember someone wrote that BB was all gung ho on Vilma a while back (which still baffles me to this day) , I can't believe BB would over work the doctors and training staff like that by putting a smallish guy out there.

Even with the release of Willie, which hopefully is very short lived, I still believe that through either FA or the draft our greatest needs are a playmaker in the secondary and the upgrading of the OL. Brady can not take that much punishment again next season.

drew4008 said:
With McGinest being cut... it looks like it is creeping into the "needs" section.
"Creeping" is the right word, it isn't desperate yet, we still have Chad Brown for a veteran OLB; we have Vrabel, our designated Superman; we have Banta-Cain who showed me some positives in the Miami home game and may be ready for more rotation time; we have Beisel who looked like some of the lights were coming on for ILB near the end of the season. If Willie doesn't come back or Chatham isn't re-signed, BB has 10 picks to sift through a pretty strong DE tweener draft for a player(s) to develop. And that isn't taking into account some under the radar free agent Pioli has been tracking - does Pittsburgh have any UFA reserve LBs this year? :singing:

Box_O_Rocks said:
"Creeping" is the right word, it isn't desperate yet, we still have Chad Brown for a veteran OLB; we have Vrabel, our designated Superman; we have Banta-Cain who showed me some positives in the Miami home game and may be ready for more rotation time; we have Beisel who looked like some of the lights were coming on for ILB near the end of the season. If Willie doesn't come back or Chatham isn't re-signed, BB has 10 picks to sift through a pretty strong DE tweener draft for a player(s) to develop. And that isn't taking into account some under the radar free agent Pioli has been tracking - does Pittsburgh have any UFA reserve LBs this year? :singing:

Yeah, "creeping" was the charge against me if I remember right....wha? uhhh...nevermind. :D
Just to be devil's advocate here...O line seems to draw a lot of attention here. With the recent cut and blatant begging by Mawae to wear a Flying Elvis, and the lack of guards in this draft (lots of tackles, few guards), the talk is of moving Koppen to guard....can we pass on the high profile O lineman in the 1st, and look to a late first day developmental type if we do indeed sign Mawae? And then go after that guard next year? IMO guard is the most important position on the line, and not one you try to "convert". You can convert guards to tackles but it is harder to convert tackles to guards.

Then lets use the traded down #1(now top of 2nd) on a CB (lots of these) or DE/LB(lots of these, too, lots of value at that spot for either pos.)

shirtsleeve said:
Yeah, "creeping" was the charge against me if I remember right....wha? uhhh...nevermind. :D
Just to be devil's advocate here...O line seems to draw a lot of attention here. With the recent cut and blatant begging by Mawae to wear a Flying Elvis, and the lack of guards in this draft (lots of tackles, few guards), the talk is of moving Koppen to guard....can we pass on the high profile O lineman in the 1st, and look to a late first day developmental type if we do indeed sign Mawae? And then go after that guard next year? IMO guard is the most important position on the line, and not one you try to "convert". You can convert guards to tackles but it is harder to convert tackles to guards.

Then lets use the traded down #1(now top of 2nd) on a CB (lots of these) or DE/LB(lots of these, too, lots of value at that spot for either pos.)
What makes you rate the OG class in this draft so highly? I'm inclined to believe BB can land himself a decent OG in just about any round.

I can't get too excited about Mawae in Patriot colors. Koppen could be moved to G, but I doubt it, I see Gorin there, contrary to your T to G pessimism. :D

Top to bottom this years draft by all accounts is "defense" draft. I'll trust BB/SP to get good value players with the plethora of picks they have to manuever around the board. My one great hope is they land Bobby Carpenter in round 1. I just have a hunch about this kid. :rocker:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes