Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting prediction from Mike Reiss

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by ctpatsfan77, Mar 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +696 / 12 / -5

#3 Jersey

In his chat on ESPN.com:

:popcorn:

2. Off The Grid

Off The Grid Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +287 / 5 / -0

#3 Jersey

3. the wrothbroughterer

the wrothbroughterer On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I really like McElroy as a developmental QB. The prototypical height and weight is a nice base. Add in that he's a gamer, plays hard, and is a high character guy and he's defined himself as a legitimate draft candidate. Then, when you consider the fact that he got a 49 on his Wonderlic and you've got the makings of a potential draft day steal.

You can develop arm strength and accuracy, you can't develop a brain like that. With a couple years of digesting NFL defensive schemes and conditioning under NFL style guidance, McElroy could be a serious player down the road.

4. jays52

jays52 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -1

#91 Jersey

Vereen makes a ton of sense for need. Bursty homerunntype back who can plant and cut in the zone game and the patience to be good in the directional game as well. Fumbleitis concerns me, but a nice scheme fit with experience in the spread.

5. Sciz

Sciz PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +294 / 1 / -0

I'm a big Vereen fan. He makes sense as an "in-between" guy for Benny and Woody, giving the Pats three legitimate weapons at RB. There was talk of bringing back Faulk and having him on the field at the same time as Woodhead. Well, imagine Brady in the shotgun with Woodhead on one side and Vereen on the other. That's a matchup nightmare.

6. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +55 / 1 / -4

I don't see us going to that set often because our tight ends are too valuable as mismatch weapons. Gronk and Hernandez are both beasts. I could certainly see a speedy back as a change of pace guy for BJGE though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  7. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I love both of those guys.

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

I agree also. The real answer tho, is what round for those two?

9. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,131 / 9 / -2

#11 Jersey

Same here. Very savvy picks from Mike -- I like when reporters look beyond the first round.

10. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +52 / 8 / -3

Chris Carter - olb - Fresno St.

Position of need. Coached by Pat Hill. Working out with Willie McGinest. Hmmmm. I know he's not ideal size. But, I'd like to get 2 olb's. Brooks Reed at 33 and Carter in the 3RD.

11. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +15 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

Vereen is a very interesting RB. on the one hand he can be a three down back with speed and sneaky power. On the other hand he runs and spins and the ball leaves his body, he is a potential future fumbling machine and we all know ball security is job #1 for BB's RB's.

McElroy is interesting as well. He really didn;t get to sling it around too much in college because Alabama was a running team, but when he did, I saw decent accuracy and decent decision making, but a pop gun arm.

12. sg14

sg14 On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Are you saying Vereen fumbles because he spins into trouble,
    In other words, if he did not spin, but run under control he would not be a fumbler???

Agree on McElroy also,,

13. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

Along with D Carter, I think Vereen is going to provide the best bang for the buck of this year's RBs

Accuracy and decision making are the two qualities I look for in college QBs. I wouldn't call his arm pop-gun though. He'll never be a great arm, but I think he has the minimum requisite arm strength to be an NFL quarterback, and certainly in a system like NE's

14. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +132 / 13 / -10

Agreed on all points, but poise is my other major competency for a QB, I like McElroy, he doesn't quite have the binky tstaus of someone like Stanzi but I'll certainly be pleased if we grab him.

15. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,001 / 10 / -7

#24 Jersey

IIRC--Reiss 'predicted' the 3rd rd for the RB, and a late rd pickup for the QB. You can review his latest chat to double check, but I'm sure of the 3rd for the Cal RB.

16. AzPatsFan

AzPatsFan Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +260 / 22 / -12

I agree. I think it is a virtual certainty that BB is going to take a QB, at some point. I would not even be very surprised if BB did the "unexpected" and took one very early.

It is time to start to groom one, and you need candidates. With all his picks, and the rebuilding about completed, it it one of the few spots that has a uncontested vacancy. Especially if BB and his Buddy at 'Bama confer and concur.

IMHO, QB is played 90% between the ears, despite the scouts infatuation with size, speed and rocket arms. McElroy has slightly above average starting size, poor but certainly acceptable QB speed, and a slightly better than average NFL arm. But he shuffles around the pocket very well and si accurate. He thinks though; and possesses leadership and above all POISE. So I predict that he will do well in a BB offense.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.