PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting move for Hobbs, is he #1 CB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsRI

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=152043

Felger: And that means Ellis Hobbs’ work at left corner so far this training camp deserves mention. It may very well mean the Patriots expect him to be their top corner this season.
Since most offenses are “right-handed,†meaning the tight end usually lines up on that side and the right-handed quarterback generally makes his first read on that side, marquee corners typically play on the left. It’s where Ty Law held down fort in New England for a decade.

---
Probably means nothing this early in TC but maybe he has progressed this offseason to the top spot.

Last edited:
A lot of people have huge confidence in Hobbs, from my perspective the jury is still out on him... if he is the starting CB and it appears he is, we will find out very soon how good he actually is.

Well its worth a try maybe Samuel will do better on the right corner and lets see what Hobbs can do on the hot corner in preseason.

NEM said:
I, certainly, hope not. He will get eaten alive if he has to play corner on a regular basis. Especially on inside routes and quick slants.

Good player, hard hitter, but not a starter...IMO, of course. Good nickel back.

According to KC Joyner, Hobbs was the Pats best corner across the board in 2005.

Samuel has been working there too..just when Wilson came in, Geno was #2 and whoever was with him was #1

NEM said:
But, he didnt have to play on a regular basis...I think he is a fine player, works hard, does a nice job, but I think that he can be taken apart by opposing offenses if he has to play on a regular basis...his sixe is a major negative, expecially on inside routes.... I would run quick slants and crossings on him all afternoon.
C'mon NEM, you'd run quick slants and crossings on every play, let alone every corner.

Speaking of NEM, I nearly had a heart attack this afternoon when I saw a large truck with NEM on the side in big bold letters. It turned out to be some sort of shredding service, which fits somehow, and not the personal NEM-mobile rolling through Podunk, USA en route a Patriots' event. Just shocked the Borges out of me.

As for Hobbs, I'll cast my vote against NEM's position. From the time he took over the starting slot to the end of the season, he became the CB teams went away from. If he gets the start on the offense's right side, then good for him, he earned it last year - now what have you done for me lately?

Brady-To-Branch said:
According to KC Joyner, Hobbs was the Pats best corner across the board in 2005.

According to Brownfan80 also.

But NEM has had it out for Hobbs for quite some time (namely over the size issue).

I guess NEM thought that Poteat or Samuel (or whoever else it is we played at CB after all our CBs got hurt) played better last season. I didn't see it that way. Apparently neither did Joyner.

NEM said:
, does a nice job, but I think that he can be taken apart by opposing offenses if he has to play on a regular basis....
Then the answer is obvious. Play him every other game. That way he can be a shut down corner in games 2,4, 6, etc, but not be picked apart because he is playing regularly :D

spacecrime said:
Then the answer is obvious. Play him every other game. That way he can be a shut down corner in games 2,4, 6, etc, but not be picked apart because he is playing regularly :D
I hate it when you start making sense! :eek:

Hobbs is our best (emerging) corner. Why wouldn't we put him there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News