Welcome to PatsFans.com

Interesting move for Hobbs, is he #1 CB?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PatsRI, Aug 9, 2006.

1. PatsRI

PatsRI PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=152043

Felger: And that means Ellis Hobbs’ work at left corner so far this training camp deserves mention. It may very well mean the Patriots expect him to be their top corner this season.
    Since most offenses are “right-handed,†meaning the tight end usually lines up on that side and the right-handed quarterback generally makes his first read on that side, marquee corners typically play on the left. It’s where Ty Law held down fort in New England for a decade.

---
    Probably means nothing this early in TC but maybe he has progressed this offseason to the top spot.
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

A lot of people have huge confidence in Hobbs, from my perspective the jury is still out on him... if he is the starting CB and it appears he is, we will find out very soon how good he actually is.
  3. broadwayjoe

broadwayjoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Well its worth a try maybe Samuel will do better on the right corner and lets see what Hobbs can do on the hot corner in preseason.
  4. Brady-To-Branch

Brady-To-Branch Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 11 / -1

According to KC Joyner, Hobbs was the Pats best corner across the board in 2005.
  5. Remix 6

Remix 6 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Samuel has been working there too..just when Wilson came in, Geno was #2 and whoever was with him was #1
  6. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

C'mon NEM, you'd run quick slants and crossings on every play, let alone every corner.

Speaking of NEM, I nearly had a heart attack this afternoon when I saw a large truck with NEM on the side in big bold letters. It turned out to be some sort of shredding service, which fits somehow, and not the personal NEM-mobile rolling through Podunk, USA en route a Patriots' event. Just shocked the Borges out of me.

As for Hobbs, I'll cast my vote against NEM's position. From the time he took over the starting slot to the end of the season, he became the CB teams went away from. If he gets the start on the offense's right side, then good for him, he earned it last year - now what have you done for me lately?
  7. Brownfan80

Brownfan80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

According to Brownfan80 also.

But NEM has had it out for Hobbs for quite some time (namely over the size issue).

I guess NEM thought that Poteat or Samuel (or whoever else it is we played at CB after all our CBs got hurt) played better last season. I didn't see it that way. Apparently neither did Joyner.
  8. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Then the answer is obvious. Play him every other game. That way he can be a shut down corner in games 2,4, 6, etc, but not be picked apart because he is playing regularly :D
  9. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

I hate it when you start making sense! :eek:
  10. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hobbs is our best (emerging) corner. Why wouldn't we put him there?