PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Interesting fact IF we go to Indy in the playoffs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be honest, a rematch and a win against Indy would be my Super Bowl. This team, while "never say never" doesn't have the look of a championship team. But I do think they're capable of putting it all together for one game and making 18-1 a footnote to 16-1.

To me, it's looking like a Chargers/Saints SB this year. Rivers is playing like the Brady of old and the Saints, while vulnerable, are better than any team in the NFC, especially with the dome field advantage.

I'm sure that's the favorite with the sports bettors right now, the matchup that you mentioned. Or the Colts of course.

As some other's noted, teams who are ranked #1, and teams coming off of the bye in the AFC do not have a positive record this particular decade, so at least we have that to fall back on.

Last edited:
I'd be cautiously optimistic too, for sure. As a matter of fact, I'd be concerned.

I agree that there is a fine line between optimism and realism, and I will also say that when the ink hits the books, they have had the better of the rivalry lately. I will agree that they seem to have evolved some, while we have stayed the same in some regards. It would be great to go back to confusing defensive schemes, because, IMO that's what it would take to win. I am not sure if this yr's defense has the pieces to do that as effectively as we'd need them to.

Maybe we'll simply get lucky, and a lower ranked seed can take one of those top 2 teams out, that's what I'm hoping. Regardless of whatever happens, the team needs to improve in several areas to make a run this year.

I think I am letting some of the more pessimistic people who claim it's already over get to me a bit.

I agree with you 100%. It's discouraging and frustrating how the Patriots have fallen short of their goal so often, and in such epic, disastrous fashion, particularly against a common foe like Indy. But I'm also with you in that this franchise has rewarded our faith so many times that it's only fair that we not be the ones to drive the nails in their coffin so prematurely. It may not be likely that this team has what it takes to go the distance, but it's not a foregone conclusion that they can't make it happen somehow. The SB champion every year, regardless of how the regular season plays out, is the team that gets hot at the right time. All the Patriots need is that opportunity, and despite the odds, everything is in play. At the risk of sounding like Yogi Berra, this team isn't eliminated until it's eliminated. And one thing that is consistent with the Brady/Belichick era Patriots, is that they are never an easy out in their most important games.

Last edited:
I agree with you 100%. It's discouraging and frustrating how the Patriots have fallen short of their goal so often, and in such epic, disastrous fashion, particularly against a common foe like Indy. But I'm also with you in that this franchise has rewarded our faith so many times that it's only fair that we not be the ones to drive the nails in their coffin so prematurely. It may not be likely that this team has what it takes to go the distance, but it's not a foregone conclusion that they can't make it happen somehow. The SB champion every year, regardless of how the regular season plays out, is the team that gets hot at the right time. All the Patriots need is that opportunity, and despite the odds, everything is in play. At the risk of sounding like Yogi Berra, this team isn't eliminated until it's eliminated. And one thing that is consistent with the Brady/Belichick era Patriots, is that they are never an easy out in their most important games.

Well said.

10 char

Apparently you aren't aware of the term 'vice versa' either, as you still cannot read a post correctly.

That is why I included the term 'vice versa' next to the 2005/2006 games, because I was not sure off the top of my head which game it was, and did not feel like looking it up.

If that is the best you can do (not understand what vice versa means) then it is pointless to go back and forth with you. You have now pointed out multiple things that I myself, already stated several sentences into the posts, and you've actually done it more than once now. Once again, I will question your ability to read and comprehend the sentences correctly. Why would you go on and on about me not knowing the differences between the games of 05/06, when I was the one who used the term 'vice versa' to begin with??? It seems illogical, as I've already proved that I didn't remember which game it was.

------

Once again, the thread was meant to spread some hope and optimism in a season where I have heard many, many posters (never claimed it was you) say that we consistently get clobbered in the dome at Indianapolis. I provided a cold hard fact that stated otherwise. If you were not one of the posters who claimed such a thing, then I am not sure why you even posted a negative message in the first place (???)

You were the ONLY person who had any kind of problem with it, and I am not the least bit surprised--as I have noticed your excessive whining regarding this year's team in many other posts.

Most were pleasantly surprised by the fact, and I hope I may have instilled a bit of confidence for some who may have needed it.

When some of the classy posters don't have anything of value to add, they simply do not respond. Your eyeroll, etc, over something that was meant to be positive shows your true colors, as do many of your posts that have knocked the team down this year.

Occasionally, people talk past each other out here when they are actually agreeing; maybe that happened here. To the extent that I have been responsible for that in our exchanges, I'll accept that responsibility.

The reference for the "vice versa" wasn't clear to me; it's also easy to check these things before we post (just as I should have more carefully edited the other post to which you make reference). Nonetheless, I'm sorry if that was your intent.

The use of "20" vs. "10" in the other post was a typo which I went back to correct, but after I was no longer allowed to Edit. This board would be a lot better off if we all called each other on our data and so I accept the criticism.

As for the rest, if you're point is that we still play the Colts tough despite multiple losses in recent years, then we clearly agree.

My only problem with your post, now amply and overstated, was your use of the spread as a point of reference; my view is that we don't need the spread to tell us that these are two evenly matched teams. The main use of a word to which I took exception was your description of the "trend" as "positive", as the "trend" in terms of game outcomes since 2005 has not been good, despite even matchups.

Otherwise, :deadhorse:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes