PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I'm hoping for the 4th seed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh I hope we play the Broncos first round. I have this weird feeling we may play PIT. Please someone tell me this is not the case. This could get interesting guys.

A very likely scenario next week

NE beats HOU, gets the 3 seed and eliminates HOU at 8-8

PIT wins at MIA, Denver loses tiebreaker to PIT at 9-7 based on head to head, so PIT is 6 seed

PIT loses tiebreaker to BALT on division record, so BALT is 5 seed at 9-7 after beating OAK in week 17

:eek::

So is it gonna be (6) PIT at (3) NE?

More things would need to happen for Pitt to get in.

Head-to-head doesn't come into play unless Den and Pitt are the only tied teams.

Does it really matter who we play guys?

IF we play out best, we can Beat anyone. If we don't, anyone can beat us.
I say play the starters a bit next week and than REST em all.

I'm not sure if this is correct since the tie-breakers are a little complicated, but I think the Pats could be in position to choose their wildcard opponent. If things play out like they should, the Pats may face the choice of:

- Beat Houston, face the Steelers the next week
- Lose to Houston, face the Broncos the next week

That is absolutely a no-brainer. Why would anyone want to face the Steelers with a healthy Troy P. in the secondary?

If the Jets beat the Colts and then beat the Bengals (nothing to play for) at home next week, they get the 5 seed and the Pats game next week is irrelevant. In that case the Pats would get the Ravens as the 6 seed.

I'm not sure if this is correct since the tie-breakers are a little complicated, but I think the Pats could be in position to choose their wildcard opponent. If things play out like they should, the Pats may face the choice of:

- Beat Houston, face the Steelers the next week
- Lose to Houston, face the Broncos the next week

That is absolutely a no-brainer. Why would anyone want to face the Steelers with a healthy Troy P. in the secondary?

If the Jets beat the Colts and then beat the Bengals (nothing to play for) at home next week, they get the 5 seed and the Pats game next week is irrelevant. In that case the Pats would get the Ravens as the 6 seed.

Baltimore plays Oakland at 4:15 so the Patriots won't be in that position.

Also, Pittsburgh is the least likely of teams to make it in because of their conference record (Den, the Jets and Balt beat them while Houston has a better common opponents %). Also, a Cincy loss next week means the Patriots are the 3 seed even with a loss.

More things would need to happen for Pitt to get in.

Head-to-head doesn't come into play unless Den and Pitt are the only tied teams.

Hmmm I would have said the same things Saturday night, but I think things are shaping up nicely for PIT especially after Houston's upset at MIA

I'm assuming BALT makes it at 9-7 with a win at OAK as the 5 seed. NYJ is toast. Titans are toast at 7-9/8-8. Texans are toast if we beat em(8-8) Dolphins are toast(8-8) if they lose to PIT. Who's left at no. 6? I think it's the Steelers.

Last edited:
If the Jets hang on and beat Indy today, then beat Cincy next week, they're in no matter what else happens, according to the announcers for the Jets-Indy game.

QB12

Last edited:
Be careful what what you wish for. In 2005, the Pats let the Dolphins win in week 17 to drop them to the #4 seed when they could've had the #3 seed. They ended up playing the Broncos who they lost to in the regular season and lost to them again in the playoffs.

Long story short, don't drop a game on purpose when a higher seed is up for grabs. If they play the Chargers in the second round, so what? Everybody is beatable in the NFL this season. In fact, it doesn't matter because the Pats are 1-5 against the Colts. So pick your poison.

yeah and i also remember when the pats ahd to go to san diego, ended up pulling out the victory and they had to fly back. got sick, then the nfl stuck it to them and they had a saturday game in indy after a sunday game in san diego.

watch the nfl stick it to the pats on scheduling again. guarantee it

There is no 4th seed option. The Jets will beat back-up Cinci making has have #3 no matter what.

If the Broncos win this game, it's Jets at Patriots for round 1.

Cincy is not beating the Jets next week.

yeah and i also remember when the pats ahd to go to san diego, ended up pulling out the victory and they had to fly back. got sick, then the nfl stuck it to them and they had a saturday game in indy after a sunday game in san diego.

watch the nfl stick it to the pats on scheduling again. guarantee it

The AFCCG was on a Sunday.

Who cares what seed we get. If we play well enough, we can beat any side. If we play crap, we can lose to anyone.

Come playoff time, every game is 50/50.

Who cares what seed we get. If we play well enough, we can beat any side. If we play crap, we can lose to anyone.

Come playoff time, every game is 50/50.

let's just hope they don't get swineflu. they should take 2 planes to san diego when they travel and take their zinc

let's just hope they don't get swineflu. they should take 2 planes to san diego when they travel and take their zinc
The Chargers are playing some hellified ball, but it's not better than they were back in 2006. I do recall a 24-21 victory in San Diego that season with a far less talented team.

Now the Patriots are into the post-season, I'm adjusting my expectations to "anything can happen".

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes