PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If Joe Thomas used his legal handgun to protect his roomate he would = hero

Status
Not open for further replies.

From this article in the New York Times from 1997.
Seems like the league has come a long way. With the number of incidents in the mid-90's it could have been the "National Firearms League."
I don't think that we need to be concerned at all with the Merriweather hand gun incident. He learned something and reportedly doesn't own a gun any longer. . . .

Heck, to me, the only thing about the gun incident that concerns me is that he was stupid enough to get rid of his gun and tell everyone about it. He's now made himself a target. That decision concerns me far more than taking a shot at someone trying to kill him and/or his friend.

Just wanted to say that it is funny how the media is selective of who they give second chances to. Cris Carter got a second chance and made good on it. Ricky Williams gets too many second chances. Daryll Strawberry. Pacman Jones until the Vegas shooting went pretty much unnoticed. Miss USA gets a second chance!

Let it go MEDIA! Write about what is happening or get a history degree and write a history text because I don't want to hear YOUR opinion. I just want the news!

Meriweather did nothing illegal in the shooting, but he did stomp on a guys head during a game. No excuses here. Who that has criticized him has been shot at? Was with a friend when they were shot at? Would you want a gun to protect yourself in that situation or cross your fingers and hope that the cops are on their way. Lets put it this way, I've had emergencies while living in San Diego and called 911 and got a busy signal for 5 minutes. Give me the gun if it comes down to my life and the life of a friend.

Moss did what he did in MN and OAK. Say what you will about what he did, but lets give the guy his opportunity to screw up before we ride him out of town. And when/if he does screw up, I'll get on that bus that rides him out of town.

Speaking of gun matters, did they ever catch the guy that killed Darrent Williams? Good thing no one had a gun to protect themselves that night! Maybe someone has to die to make it okay to protect yourself.

This is true. I can understand people being upset about how Meriweather acted during the brawl. His behavior was not ok in any way, shape, or form. But to rag on him for protecting himself and his friend is completely unfair. That is why we have guns. It saus in the Constitution of the United States that a person has a right to bear arms in order to protect himself. Meriweather was completely inside the law and people have absolutely no right to criticize hom for it.

It would have been better for Meriweather to keep his gun holstered and watch his friend get shot to swiss cheese. Then, he would've had a puff piece on ESPN.

These "journalists" that take cheap shots at these young kids are disgusting.

It would have been better for Meriweather to keep his gun holstered and watch his friend get shot to swiss cheese. Then, he would've had a puff piece on ESPN.

These "journalists" that take cheap shots at these young kids are disgusting.

They would say he let his friend die... They would find a reason to bash him.

Last edited:
Well I tried to give my opinion and he decided to go in the direction of attacking me and my family personally.

It was a obvious joke. Lighten up or get out of my thread, we are trying to talk.

But when Brandon Meriweather does it he is a thug with character issues. Funny how that works. Funny how the media keeps saying "gun charge" when Meriweather has no gun charge. They fail to mention the Miami police stated Meriweather did not do anything criminal. They fail to mention that he was using his registered handgun to return fire / protect himself against a man who had just shot his roommate in a robbery attempt. At this point anyone who owns a legal handgun has a character issue. The Constitution of the United states says otherwise. Millions of people own handguns legally, millions. Lawyers, doctors, women and men. Funny how this kid is a thug because he used his registered handgun to protect himself and his roommate against a armed attacker. Something anyone on this board would do if they had to.

Did I mention the kid was studying to be a cop. I love the bull**** these media clowns spit out. Totally unfair. Can meriweather do anything about these people slandering him and not stating the details/facts about this situation? I'm so sick of them saying "gun charge" and not telling the full story ( which totally debunks there agenda they are pushing)

Like I said. If this was Joe Thomas out in Wisconsin returning fire against a assailant who just shot his roommate with his registered handgun, he would be hailed a hero. But the kid who is studying to be a cop in a city where a fellow teammate was shot in the back of the head for no reason cannot own a gun legally for protection without being a bad person?

Like it or not there is a certain amount of recism in the media. I have listened to weei the last two days and you would think that Merriweather was another Pacman Jones. Merriweather had a gun that was legally registered to him. But that nitwit Dennis says the hell with the 2nd amendment to the Constitution.

Alot of sprts writers look at African American athletes as either confirmed hods or wanna be hoods.

It really does stink.

But when Brandon Meriweather does it he is a thug with character issues. Funny how that works. Funny how the media keeps saying "gun charge" when Meriweather has no gun charge. They fail to mention the Miami police stated Meriweather did not do anything criminal. They fail to mention that he was using his registered handgun to return fire / protect himself against a man who had just shot his roommate in a robbery attempt. At this point anyone who owns a legal handgun has a character issue. The Constitution of the United states says otherwise. Millions of people own handguns legally, millions. Lawyers, doctors, women and men. Funny how this kid is a thug because he used his registered handgun to protect himself and his roommate against a armed attacker. Something anyone on this board would do if they had to.

Did I mention the kid was studying to be a cop. I love the bull**** these media clowns spit out. Totally unfair. Can meriweather do anything about these people slandering him and not stating the details/facts about this situation? I'm so sick of them saying "gun charge" and not telling the full story ( which totally debunks there agenda they are pushing)

Like I said. If this was Joe Thomas out in Wisconsin returning fire against a assailant who just shot his roommate with his registered handgun, he would be hailed a hero. But the kid who is studying to be a cop in a city where a fellow teammate was shot in the back of the head for no reason cannot own a gun legally for protection without being a bad person?

You make a good point. Having a college athlete carry and a loaded gun prepared to return fire at a moments notice is a sign of a high character individual.

My only question is why doesn't every college athlete carry a loaded handgun - what is wrong with them? Don't they want to be heros and protect their friends?

And above all, why are we wasting our time drafting guys who are bad friends and don't carry loaded weapons?

They are the REAL questionable characters.

My God, where would this board be without you and your insights! Thank You!

Last edited:
Why does Brandon even need a gun? He shouldn't be involved with people that force him to get a gun. This guy definitely has character issues, why are we all trying to deny it?

Last edited:
Why does Brandon even need a gun? He shouldn't be involved with people that force him to get a gun. This guy definitely has character issues, why are we all trying to deny it?

What? It is legal in America to own a hand gun. It is a right stated by the Constitution. Maybe he wanted one for protection, jus like million of other Americans. Because he is black he has character issues for owning a gun? A fellow team member was shot in the back of the head for no reason in Miami last year? I think people call this kid a thug for owning a legal gun because he is black. Honestly who would call Brady Quinn a thug if he had a legal handgun. NO ONE.

The kid was studying to be a police officer.

Last edited:
Speaking of gun matters, did they ever catch the guy that killed Darrent Williams? Good thing no one had a gun to protect themselves that night! Maybe someone has to die to make it okay to protect yourself.

Sdaly no, not yet. The police here in Denver just made a huge arrest of 47 gang members. Hopefully this will lead to the murderers arrest or at least some additional information that will lead the police to the killer.

What? It is legal in America to own a hand gun. It is a right stated by the Constitution. Maybe he wanted one for protection, jus like million of other Americans. Because he is black he has character issues for owning a gun? A fellow team member was shot in the back of the head for no reason in Miami last year? I think people call this kid a thug for owning a legal gun because he is black. Honestly who would call Brady Quinn a thug if he had a legal handgun. NO ONE.

Did I say it was illegal? I'm just wondering why these guys are involved with people that could shoot them. Why do they know people like this? And if Brady Quinn's friend was shot in the head and he was firing a gun, yes, I'd be saying the same damn thing. Stop being such homers and realize that this kid has had issues dating back to high school.

Last edited:
Did I say it was illegal? I'm just wondering why these guys are involved with people that could shoot them. Why do they know people like this? And if Brady Quinn's friend was shot in the head and he was firing a gun, yes, I'd be saying the same damn thing. Stop being such homers and realize that this kid has had issues dating back to high school.

Frankly, I could go either way on the incident. He could have known this guy was coming and going to shoot at Cooper, or he could have just been some random psychopath. It isn't like Miami is the most pristine city on the planet. I know I'd probably want to carry a gun if I owned a house there.

If a guy stabs your buddy while trying to mug both of you, does that mean you're a questionable character because you hang around people with knives?

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that he's had problems since high school (he's from Apopka, a small, mostly middle class white city). I haven't read anywhere about problems in high school... in fact, what I have read on Fox Sports says "Had no known off-field issues until 2006."

Last edited:
Frankly, I could go either way on the incident. He could have known this guy was coming and going to shoot at Cooper, or he could have just been some random psychopath. It isn't like Miami is the most pristine city on the planet. I know I'd probably want to carry a gun if I owned a house there.

If a guy stabs your buddy while trying to mug both of you, does that mean you're a questionable character because you hang around people with knives?

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that he's had problems since high school (he's from Apopka, a small, mostly middle class white city). I haven't read anywhere about problems in high school... in fact, what I have read on Fox Sports says "Had no known off-field issues until 2006."

I played against him twice in high school. He never had legal problems. He was just a ****y punk(like most big time high school athletes). And I keep saying, I'm not against the pick at all. I think he is going to be big time and I think we will help him become a very good citizen, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't have character issues right now.

Last edited:

What issues? Have proof of them?

What issues? Have proof of them?

Like I said in the other thread, nothing off the field and nothing that bad. I like this pick, but it's stupid to say he doesn't have any character issues. I guess I'm just not as big of a homer as the rest of you.

Eddie Money was too. Doesn't make him a stand up citizen.

He saw a suspicious car at 6:30 in the morning so they walk out side carrying a loaded gun to "investigate". That is idiotic. I don't care if he was Green - it was still stupid on both their parts. Stay inside, call the cops and arm yourself if you are that nervous about the car - and why would you think they are coming after you in the first place?

That is a legitimate question and it has nothing to do with the color of his skin!

Eddie Money was too. Doesn't make him a stand up citizen.

He saw a suspicious car at 6:30 in the morning so they walk out side carrying a loaded gun to "investigate". That is idiotic. I don't care if he was Green - it was still stupid on both their parts. Stay inside, call the cops and arm yourself if you are that nervous about the car - and why would you think they are coming after you in the first place?

That is a legitimate question and it has nothing to do with the color of his skin!

Exactly. Thank you.

Good post and good points.

The double standard was never more apparent then it was on the EEI morning show. A week ago they were saying that if one kid in the VT classroom had a gun, the whole tragedy could've been stopped. A week later, John Dennis is saying Merriweather is a thug for what he did. It's a joke. The media picks and chooses who to judge and who to not judge. Appearance has a lot to do with that choice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes