PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

If BB went down, who would step in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a coincidence that the Broncos and Texans both went with a guy with head coaching experience. Based on that, it would have to be McDaniels. Scar doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons, mostly that his personality is even more media-averse than Belichick's.

It especially makes sense if you're of the belief that McDaniels is being groomed as Belichick's eventual replacement (which I believe).

Scarnecchia is the Assistant HC and would become the interim HC of the NEP if BB were unable to be the HC of the NEP.

Scarnecchia is the Assistant HC and would become the interim HC of the NEP if BB were unable to be the HC of the NEP.

That's the base case, at least in a truly interim case such as Kubiak's, Fox's, or Pagano's.

Duties might be spread out a bit, however. Dante' would have final word on practice schedules and so on. Josh might share the press duties a lot more than he does with BB, for reasons stated above. Player Personnel might try to operate with a little less input from coaching. Etc.

That's the base case, at least in a truly interim case such as Kubiak's, Fox's, or Pagano's.

Duties might be spread out a bit, however. Dante' would have final word on practice schedules and so on. Josh might share the press duties a lot more than he does with BB, for reasons stated above. Player Personnel might try to operate with a little less input from coaching. Etc.

I think the media aspect is overblown, I think Scarnecchia would be completely comfortable saying as little as Belichick does to the media every week.

Not liking something and not doing it are 2 different things. You honestly think that Scar would not step up and do what is best for the team should he be called on just to avoid the media? Plus BB hates the media too so this would just be business as usual.

Scar doesn't like talking to the media but when he does its gold its not often, usually like once in camp and maybe one or two other times during the year, but when he speaks its usually good stuff.

I think there are several reasons Scar would be the obvious choice most stated already:

• Scar has the most experience as coach granted Josh might have a few more games as the head man Scar has 30 years on him as an assistant.
  • Scar has served as interim coach here before.
  • Scar has filled in for BB short term during the practice week before.
  • McDaniels and Patricia being the coordinators are better off staying in their roles.
  • Scar even has a solid coach working on the O-line with him in Daboll.
  • On defense Pepper would be an obvious choice to coordinate were Patricia the choice but he has no head coach experience. Not sure who would take over OC if McD were the HC choice making him less likely for the role.

Both teams that lost their head coaches promoted the assistant with the most head coaching experience in the interim. That guy on the Pats would be McDaniels.

It's not a coincidence that the Broncos and Texans both went with a guy with head coaching experience. Based on that, it would have to be McDaniels. Scar doesn't make sense for a lot of reasons, mostly that his personality is even more media-averse than Belichick's.

It especially makes sense if you're of the belief that McDaniels is being groomed as Belichick's eventual replacement (which I believe).

I would rather have Rod Rust back as HC than McDaniels ..I hope to never see him at that level here,i don't think he will be anything to write home about.

Scarnecchia would be my answer as a temporary replacement.

Both teams that lost their head coaches promoted the assistant with the most head coaching experience in the interim. That guy on the Pats would be McDaniels.

BB has a confirmed soft spot for gruff lifelong assistant coaches who stayed in one city in a secure job rather than moving up to the head coaching level.

Didn't Scar take over when BB's dad died? Maybe not on game day but on at least some of the prep days?

He also took over for **** MacPherson. After an 0-9 start the Pats won the next two games under Scarnecchia. He should have won coach of the year for coaxing a couple of wins out of that team.

If Scar doesn't want to handle the press duties, he could assign Ernie Adams to take over that role. That would make for some must-see press conferences.

Last edited:
He also took over for John McPherson. After an 0-9 start the Pats won the next two games under Scarnecchia. He should have won coach of the year for coaxing a couple of wins out of that team.

If Scar doesn't want to handle the press duties, he could assign Ernie Adams to take over that role. That would make for some must-see press conferences.

LOL, press conferences in a closet...

Can people please stop talking about McDaniels being groomed to replace BB? You're going to give me nightmares.

He also took over for John McPherson. After an 0-9 start the Pats won the next two games under Scarnecchia. He should have won coach of the year for coaxing a couple of wins out of that team.

Not to be picky, but it was **** McPherson.

Did both teams have a 30-40 year vet with the kind of experience Scar has who has also served as interim HC before? I really dont think this is a debate Scar would be the guy.

Wow everyone is missing then easy name. Player/coach Tom Brady....just adding to the legend.

Don't worry guys, I'll step up.

Did both teams have a 30-40 year vet with the kind of experience Scar has who has also served as interim HC before? I really dont think this is a debate Scar would be the guy.

With the saints it was Vitt, who most hadn't heard of. I have never been of the belief that MacDaniel's was the heir apparent and think he was brought back because he was the best choice as Brady's OC and that if successful in that role, which nobody doubted he would be, that he would get another shot as a head coach. Personally i think Belichick is coaching until he is 70 and then hanging them up. he said a while ago that he wasn't going to be Marv Levy and I think he meant it. Whatever he has racked up at 70 will have to serve as his legacy. 9 more years for Belichick, then Canton.

Why scar? He has no HC experience and hates being the center of attention. It would be mcdaniels - case closed.

I'm guessing you don't remember that Scarnecchia was acting Head Coach for half a season when **** McPherson went down with an illness.

And in case you hadn't noticed, Belichick doesn't really like being in the media spotlight either. He just likes to coach. Like Dante does.

I suppose Dante might turn it down but he'd get the first offer - and I suspect he'd do it if he felt it was in the best interest of the team.

Of course, the ultimate answer to the question as to who would step in is obvious - Brady. :D

I've played a lot of Madden, so I feel like I am very qualified to be a good coach. Sure, I don't live near NE, but I could always Skype in to coach the game...

I'm guessing you don't remember that Scarnecchia was acting Head Coach for half a season when **** McPherson went down with an illness.

And in case you hadn't noticed, Belichick doesn't really like being in the media spotlight either. He just likes to coach. Like Dante does.

I suppose Dante might turn it down but he'd get the first offer - and I suspect he'd do it if he felt it was in the best interest of the team.

Of course, the ultimate answer to the question as to who would step in is obvious - Brady. :D

Scarnecchia is Assistant Head Coach for a reason, and just like Belichick, who was once the Assistant head Coach of the NYJ he would be expected to take over if the head coach was out of the picture................................

damn

Scarnecchia is Assistant Head Coach for a reason, and just like Belichick, who was once the Assistant head Coach of the NYJ he would be expected to take over if the head coach was out of the picture................................

damn

I didn't even need to read through the thread to see the debate here, but came to post and remind everyone that Dante Scarnecchia is the assistant head coach, meaning that he'd obviously be the choice to take over if there were an emergency.

I see you have already made the point, and yet there's still somehow a debate. Long live the head coaching legacy of Josh McDaniels, I suppose...as a matter of fact, there's probably a bust being made in someone's basement already, right next to Ballard and Armstead. McDaniels is a great OC though, and has had a great rapport with Tom Brady and Bill Belichick. He was a great choice to bring in again for our OC.

Dom Capers

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore