Identity crisis !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalconHeavy

Patriots Nation
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
<rant-begin>

If I support the coach I'm a homer and chugs cool aid by the gallons having the BB blinders on...

If I question the motives and moves then I'm a hater and bandwagoner and should go find another team to root for...

so who am I ? Can't I be a loyal fan who at times question the direction this team is going if I don't tend to agree with their decision?

Hmmm... soul searching on a Thursday morning I guess

:confused2::confused3:

</rant-end>

<rant-begin>

If I support the coach I'm a homer and chugs cool aid by the gallons having the BB blinders on...

If I question the motives and moves then I'm a hater and bandwagoner and should go find another team to root for...

so who am I ? Can't I be a loyal fan who at times question the direction this team is going if I don't tend to agree with their decision?

Hmmm... soul searching on a Thursday morning I guess

:confused2::confused3:

</rant-end>

A fans job is to ***** and moan until you win it all imo :)

I thought this thread would be about the teams lack of identity.

Never stopped me before, I tell it like it is, doesn't mean I don't love and want the best for the football team because I do and always will.

I'm just trying to figure out what the plan is for the defense.......last year it seemed that there was a plan to develop young players and have tehm jell into an unspectacular but very solid group....all they needed was some experience and some more talent at OLB......what is it now? do you change schemes starting out with a 32 and a 35 year old DE fully knowing you don't have a single 4-3 OLB on the roster?

did the plan include getting absolutely nothing defensively out of this year's draft ... that part could not have worked out better.

SO I am a hater who does not know what he is talking about......shoot me because using 5 1st and 2nd round draft picks in 4 years on DB, only having 2 on the active roster, and starting UDFA's and street guys instead......

but this 'quick fix' which is only going to last one year has succeded in making the defense the worst in the NFL and the worst with the team since Rod Rust

there's no identity crisis........just the blind love of a certain element

I'm just trying to figure out what the plan is for the defense.......last year it seemed that there was a plan to develop young players and have tehm jell into an unspectacular but very solid group....all they needed was some experience and some more talent at OLB......what is it now? do you change schemes starting out with a 32 and a 35 year old DE fully knowing you don't have a single 4-3 OLB on the roster?

did the plan include getting absolutely nothing defensively out of this year's draft ... that part could not have worked out better.

You want to know the plan? Here it is:
http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...-belichick-reveals-his-plan-defense-wfei.html

Last edited:
Its really simple. Its a battle of perspective most of the time. Your either an optimist (Homer), and take a positive approach, knowing that things aren't great but believe that it can and will get better.

Pessimist (Hater), dwell on the negative aspects of the team, believing things won't get better or improve.

The hater hates the homer for there point of view, and the homer hates the hater for raining on there positive parade. Arguments ensue.

Its amusing cause its not really about who's right and who's wrong, because they cherry pick there points for one side or the other, depending on there predisposed point of view.

I actually have more of a problem with the self proclaimed "objective" posters personally. Those are the ones that annoyingly proclaim themselves above emotional responses, and claim that there alleged rational opinions are above reproach. This alleged objectivity gives them some higher insight, so if challenged on there unchallengeable opinions, they can then retort that your wrong BECAUSE your either a "homer" or a "hater".

It's perspective. if you were a Detroit Lions fan (until recently) and you had a blog where you decided who they should have drafted, picked up for free agency, what type of offense or defense they should have run...basically you knew better than the organization how to run the team...

You might have had some credibility vs Matt Millen and his predecessors.

The Patriots since 2001? Not so much.

I've criticized the team plenty about turning over the defense since the golden era, but it isn't plug and play and 14-2 isn't chicken feed for a transition season, so I say let's play it out and see if we get effort and enthusiasm out of this group.

I do think team attitude is more of a common theme among successful teams than being perfect at every position, so I'm hoping that's behind all the puzzling moves and will pay off. We do have plenty of talent, much of it young.

Last edited:
I just get annoyed with people that think they know more than they do. Its made worse by those times where their predictions are correct, even though there is very little or any causation. The reality is that it is more a case of "a broken clock is right twice a day" but people get a false sense of validation as a result. This is why we have a sudden rash of draft guru's on the board.

I just get annoyed with people that think they know more than they do. Its made worse by those times where their predictions are correct, even though there is very little or any causation. The reality is that it is more a case of "a broken clock is right twice a day" but people get a false sense of validation as a result. This is why we have a sudden rash of draft guru's on the board.

whats your identity!!!!

homer or hater!?!?!?!?!?

whats your identity!!!!

homer or hater!?!?!?!?!?

I try to be a realist. I keep my expectations low and become pleasantly surprised when good things happen. I think we take for granted how difficult it is to win consistently in this league and how paper thin the margin for winning or losing has traditionally been.

whats your identity!!!!

homer or hater!?!?!?!?!?

I can still remember the days when fans on this board would be brimming with enthusiasm to be in a three way tie for a division lead facing our biggest rival this Sunday instead of stupid pissing contests like this.

Identity crisis? That may be accurate. The issues on defense I think do come from not having an identity. This defense needs an identity. An identity comes with time. With players playing and practicing and traveling together and getting to know each other. Knowing what the guy next to you is capable of. Maybe McCourty is having an off year because the rest of the secondary is in such a state of flux. Maybe he is preoccupied with covering for the Safety of the week beside him instead of fully focusing on his assignment. Ty Law never had to worry that Rodney Harrison knew his assignment on a certain play. Bruschi never had to worry that McGinest was going to drop into coverage when he should be blitzing.

There has been and continues to be such turnover on the defensive side of the ball, how can they play together as a unit when they never get a chance to form any sort of cohesion? Injuries always happen but when in addition to that you start cutting players who were starting the week prior...at some point you have to just let them play even if you suffer short term. Eventually you will see the benefits that come from guys that have worked together for more than two weeks.

In the 50's I was a Cleveland Fan as my friend's father introduced us to the world of the NFL.

The 60's and early 70's were a fog literally and figuratively.. somewhere in the mid 70's switched loyalties, and became a Pats Fan.

In the 80's used to wait for the JC Penney or Sears Christmas Catalog to see if they had any Patriots Gear to buy.. instead they only had Dallas, San Fran, Green Bay, NY Giants etc. no gear was available, the first t-shirt I ever got was the "Squish the Fish" T-shirt in 1985..

Used to meet the plane at Green Airport in Warwick after their run in 1985.. and that was a first thrill. Used to go to TC every year at Bryant, Hannah used to blow me away with the size of his neck.

In the early 90's when I worked on Sunday used to listen to Gil and Gino on the radio, as they are usually blacked out. People I worked with thought I bet on games, however I explained that I was a fan and did not bet.

There is no identity crisis, I am what I am a life long Pats fan through the ups and the downs.. will never change. There have been really bad times, good times and since 2001 really great times.. it is hard for me to go against the judgement of BB and the decisions he has made, even though I question them.

One thing that folks do not do well on this board is look at the big picture of the NFL.. Philadelphia is 3-5, Miami is 1-7, Indy is 0-9 it goes on and on and the NFL has achieved parity their end goal, so on any given Sunday.

Last edited:
I went to the Muhammed Saeed al-Sahaf school of fanhood.

We are going to win the superbowl this year!!!!!

I've been with this team as a fan since it was created in 1959, even before they played their first game in the fall of 1960. I loved having a hometown team, and not having to be a NY Giant fan by default, as most people living in New England were in those days. During their tenure, the Patriots have run the gamut from terrible to damn near perfect, and for sure have never been dull. I am an unapologetic homer, but have no blinders on in terms of their strengths and weaknesses from season to season. I just try to enjoy the team in the moment, and not get into a position where my jugular veins burst from being peeved at their inadequacies. I've found that I enjoy the game, and the Patriots specifically, if I'm not swearing and carrying on about their weaknesses, or mistakes made during the game. It is what it is, and me sitting in my chair drinking kool aid or cussing ain't gonna change a thing.

One thing I would like is for coach to get some help shopping for the groceries, and to use both first round and both second round picks for players to fill the obvious holes in the roster. Brady really isn't getting younger - the future is now.

THIS!

Good God, the armchair GMs are insufferable. Face it, guys, you don't know WTF you are talking about! If anyone on this board was drafting and coaching for the Pats for the last 5 years we'd be sitting at 0-8 down there with the Colts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes