PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I love when professional writers are wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

shatch62

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Per Pete Prisco’s latest attempt at journalism, here is what the Patriots need to do this off-season:
New England Patriots
They have to improve their running game. The Patriots averaged 3.4 yards per rush, which is not what you would expect from a Bill Belichick-coached team. They simply didn't run the ball enough or well enough last season. That has to change to take some of the pressure off Tom Brady.

While I agree that Pats need to improve the running game, that crap about “this is not what you expect from a BB coached team†is completely WRONG.

Here is a look at the BB coached teams and what they did on the ground.
Year Atts Yards Average
1991 389 1360 3.50
1992 451 1607 3.56
1993 425 1701 4.00
1994 449 1657 3.69
1995 398 1482 3.72
2000 424 1390 3.28
2001 473 1793 3.79
2002 395 1508 3.82
2003 473 1607 3.40
2004 524 2134 4.07
2005 439 1512 3.44

If one takes out 2004’s 2,134 yards – which appears to be the exception and not the rule – 2006 was on par with the rest of BB’s career.

Here are the averages for the Cleveland years (1991-1995) and the first 4 of the Pats years (2000-2003):

Atts Yards Average
430.8 1567.2 3.64

Looks pretty close to 2006 doesn't it. Again, I agree with Prisco's point that the PAts should get the running game going again but he is wrong to imply that BB teams are driven by the run. He looked at 2004 and assumed all of BB's S.B teams were great running teams. It's just super lazy journalism.

Pete needs to do a little research or a least send his helpers out to do it for him.

You hit the nail on the head, it was lazy journalism and a good job done by you to dig everything up, I might add.

Still that does not change the fact that we really need to find a running game. I cannot help but think our fate in Denver is different is we had a more consistant rushing attack. yes, yes, I realize Dillon had decent number. He had two big runs and nothing else either.

BionicPatriot said:
You hit the nail on the head, it was lazy journalism and a good job done by you to dig everything up, I might add.

Still that does not change the fact that we really need to find a running game. I cannot help but think our fate in Denver is different is we had a more consistant rushing attack. yes, yes, I realize Dillon had decent number. He had two big runs and nothing else either.

Possibly if our running attack holds onto the weapons at all times it would improve as well :rolleyes:.

Still bitter... part of me always will be :bricks:

Statistics aside, it is time we strengthen our running game. Cory was gimpy and Faulk goes down which compounded things and then Pass was looking good for awhile until he lived up to his reputation and then we are really struggling...... Don't know how we do it but either grab a FA (if a value is available) or a day one pick (my preference). Upgrading our running backs would be a major improvement next year.

Having our starting oline for a year will help.

patman52 said:
Having our starting oline for a year will help.

If Dillon can hit the hole faster than my mother, that'll help to.

BionicPatriot said:

Why, how fast does your mother "hit the hole" ?!?

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

BionicPatriot said:

did your mother have a high ankle and calf injury last year?

bosfan said:
Statistics aside, it is time we strengthen our running game. Cory was gimpy and Faulk goes down which compounded things and then Pass was looking good for awhile until he lived up to his reputation and then we are really struggling...... Don't know how we do it but either grab a FA (if a value is available) or a day one pick (my preference). Upgrading our running backs would be a major improvement next year.

This should be a good year to upgrade at RB. The draft has several solid prospects - but most are smaller Kevin Faulk sized guys than Dillon/ Antowain Smith types. There are also several big name free agent avaliable. Some of the bigger names being:
Player Type 2005 Team
Shaun Alexander UFA Seahawks
Edgerrin James UFA Colts
Jamal Lewis UFA Ravens
Ahman Green UFA Packers
Chester Taylor UFA Ravens
DeShaun Foster UFA Panthers
Najeh Davenport UFA Packers
Michael Bennett UFA Vikings

I don't see the Pat going after one of the above as they are all going to be a little pricey.

A lower cost guy that might not be a bad option is Kenny Watson. He is a 4 year vet on Cincy. He is listed as 5-11 220 which is about the size that Pats like. He has had some limited success in his career and he has good hands out of the backfield. Am I saying I would take him over Edge or Alexander? No. I am saying I think he can be a good RB and the price will be right
Kenny Watson UFA Bengals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back