PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

I like our WR's.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is the best WR on this Patriot team? I'd say that almost every person would say Troy Brown. Nothing personal against Troy but if he's the best that we have then the group isn't all that impressive. Heck, I'd say it's even lousy.

It seems those who are saying otherwise are banking on hypotheticals happening. Like Gabriel stepping up and doing something he's never yet done in his career .... be a very good WR. Or Caldwell stepping up and being anything but an average WR. Or Jackson actually showing himself capable of playing more than a few downs a game for us.

If looked at objectively the Pats WR corps isn't all that impressive and are being judged by what people hope they'll become rather than what they have shown themselves to be.

Bobs My Uncle said:
Who is the best WR on this Patriot team? I'd say that almost every person would say Troy Brown. Nothing personal against Troy but if he's the best that we have then the group isn't all that impressive. Heck, I'd say it's even lousy.

It seems those who are saying otherwise are banking on hypotheticals happening. Like Gabriel stepping up and doing something he's never yet done in his career .... be a very good WR. Or Caldwell stepping up and being anything but an average WR. Or Jackson actually showing himself capable of playing more than a few downs a game for us.

If looked at objectively the Pats WR corps isn't all that impressive and are being judged by what people hope they'll become rather than what they have shown themselves to be.

Troy Brown has 15 catches, Gabriel has 12. How many snaps has Gabriel played?

I believe the draft is entirely based on hypotheticals. You only want expensive free agents?

In our three SB seasons, which receiver was a proven star when acquired?

Patten? The other three were low "hypothetical" picks.

By the way, you want to trade a high pick for Porter? Did you know Gaffney has averaged over 42 catches in 4 years while Porter averaged less than 40 in 6?

There is no question in my mind that the Pats have enough talent at the WR position to win the SB. The only thing that conerns me is as a group, being able to make pre snap decisions such as cutting routes short on blitzes, reading protection schemes, picking soft spots in zones and running the appropriate route that is part of the offense and cheking with TB before the play runs, etc. It is these sight adjustments that gave TB the high level of comfort with Branch and Givins. It's these types of things that will get us past the rest of the tough AFC defenses and perhaps Chicago in the SB.

I think we will....There I just argued with myself and won!

Box_O_Rocks said:
Getting open is as much a function of the other receivers running good routes as it is individual effort. Given that perspective, I'm inclined to wait until after New England wins the Super Bowl before I grade the WRs on their season. ;)

Your right - when the jury returns in Feb., the grades will be slightly more accurate reflecting the 41-14 blowout of the damn Bears.:rocker:

JoeSixPat said:
Caldwell hasn't done anything yet to prove correct those who say his career high of 28 catches in a season is just an aberration.

And while I guess 30 catches a season isn't the absolute worst production you'd expect from a #3 WR, I think I'd prefer someone with more upside, and potential to grow into a #2 WR at that spot.

I actually give Caldwell a lot of credit for taking that hit and shaking it off the way he did - and I think we can find a place for him on this team - but in my mind he's still where he's always been in my view - a #4 WR.

I agree with you that Jackson's college highlight reel, speed, skills, and size suggests that he has #1 WR potential - but I don't think you wait.

If there's a #1 WR on the market (and there might not be) I think you use the ample salary cap space we have and pull the trigger. Having a 2nd round draft choice signed for 4 years who's playing near a #1 WR level, along with an expensive free agent #1 is a good problem to have.

Having no #1 WR is NOT a good problem to have.

I hear comments like "Having no #1 WR is NOT a good problem to have" from posters who are long time Pats fans and I have to ask where you've been for the last few years.

Troy Brown has NEVER been a true #1 WR. I would have to go back to 2000 and Terry Glenn to remember when the Pats had a "TRUE" #1 wr. I don't count 2001 because Glenn was suspended for much of the year.

During the Belichick era, the Pats haven't had a TRUE #1 receiver (re: dominant). Even Deion Branch wasn't a TRUE #1 receiver. Yes, he caught the passes, but he was extremely injury prone missing games in every season but last year. And he would disappear for games at a time.

The Patriots offense is predicated on NOT having that TRUE #1 receiver and the Patriots having a variety of weapons that Brady has confidence in. Yes, the team is going through growing pains this year because of the high turnover of players (gone are Fauria, Branch and Givens). But, Brady will develop the timing with them as the season goes on. Each week, there is improvement by the receivers.

What I don't see is improvement in the play-calling though (In fact, the Play Calling looks eerily similar to that of Schottenheimer's play calling). The Patriots offensive play-calling excelled when it wasn't predictable and the opposing team didn't know what the Pats were going to do. It excelled when the Pats would recognize early whether the run would open up the passing game or vice versa. It excelled when the Pats would use a variety of plays from Slants to Screens, to Ins, Outs and Gos besides the different running plays. There have been NUMEROUS threads on how predicatable the Pats are getting on offense. There has to be SOME validity to what is being said.

I hope that the Braintrust gets the play-calling straightened out. Whether its Brady, McDaniels, or the WRs, the Pats need them to be clicking to help keep teams from focusing strictly on the run. Miami showed that, right now, if you shut down the Pats RUN game, you shut down the Pats. And that earily remindful of how the Pats were during the lean years.

Let's face it most fans won't be happy until we land Randy Moss. Nevermind that he's a lazy and disruptive WR.

Would I like to see a #1 type at wideout for the Pats? Sure I'd love to see Chad Johnson or Andre Johnson lined up out there. But unless the Cinci/Texans GMs suffer major brain farts that's not gonna happen! Well Casserly did pass on Bush but... naah he wouldn't move Johnson for a #1 would he?

Honest assesment of this group?

Gabriel has shown some flashes imo. He has good size and speed. He has caught some nice balls. Will make a nice #2 imo once he gets synced with Brady.

Caldwell has been very average with some dropsies but he's willing to block. He's a blue collar guy. He's more of a #3-4 talent but since he knows the playbook well and is a solid all around player he's currently higher on the depth chart than he should be.

Troy Brown is doing everything this team needs. IMO he's #1 in Tom's eyes. Especially on 3rd downs. He is a savvy vet that knows how to beat zone coverage which is quite common in the NFL these days thanks to the proliferation of Cover-2/3 defenses. All I have to say is thank god we resigned him this year or Tom would be really lost out there when he's not force feeding it to Watson. I would be most comfortable if Troy settled into the slot role and other more talented receivers rose up the depth chart. This is not dissing Troy, I love him but he's not the guy he used to be.

Chad Jackson. Aaah what can I say about this kid. He just oozes with talent but he can't get on the field. When he did see some action he broke some long catches, a TD, as well as what could have been another TD. This is the guy we are waiting for and hoping to be our future #1. But the future isn't here yet. Let's not give up on him but give him time to develop. This kid has that rare legit deep speed. Man I just want to see him play more!

Jabbar Gaffney. Well he was pretty good with the Texans as a #2. Then they cut him loose. I would say that he is the typical journeyman wideout. He should be solid but he isn't flashy or scary by any means. But solid wideouts suit Brady just fine since when he is at his best he likes to spread the ball around. Let's look at Gaffney's stats thus far.

Year Team G GS Rec Yds Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ 1st
2002 Houston Texans 16 14 41 483 11.8 27 1 5 0 27
2003 Houston Texans 16 11 34 402 11.8 33 2 4 0 21
2004 Houston Texans 16 12 41 632 15.4 69 2 12 1 34
2005 Houston Texans 16 13 55 492 8.9 29 2 3 0 31
2006 New England Patriots 0 0 0 0 --- 0 0 0 0 0
TOTAL 64 50 171 2009 11.7 69 7 24 1 113

He's averaged around 40 catches and 400 yards per season with around 11 YPC. Once he gets the playbook he will fit in just fine and I think he will be around the #2-#3 WR area. I think the comparison to Givens is pretty good. Although Givens is probably slightly better. But as for as bang for the buck I'd rather have Gaffney on the cheap than what the Titans paid for Givens. I think the fact that there are other Gators on the team should help him feel at home too.

So in summation we have:
#3/4
future #1
Slot/3rd down guy
#2/3

That's not the best situation but it's hardly the worst. Give em some time and I think Brady will build some rapport with these guys and get em to perform. I do wish we had made a bid on Stallworth or Walker but it's too late for that now, hindsight being 20/20.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back