PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hypothetical – If you could only keep one who would it be Amendola or Edelman?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

If you could only bring one back in 2014 who would it be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having pointed out what was lacking in the poll, specifically criteria omitted you responded

Honestly I like you, I find you to very respectful and knowledgeable as a poster. You and I don’t agree on this particular subject which is fine, in my opinion if we were having this conversation verbally I think you’d see more of my point because you seem to objective, I do think you have this perception of me that I am tossing darts at my McDaniels and Amendola faced dart boards between posts, that is not actually the case but the perception I think make your interpretation of what I say on these subject different than it actually is. Anyway I respect what you’ve said and will just say I am good your opinion is certainly valid and rational, it is not the same as mine but people don’t have to agree to get along so let’s just leave it at that. Enjoy the rest of your night.

Biggest difference between Amendola and Welker is when we signed Welker he was had just doubled his productivity in year 2 with the Dolphins and then built off that in his 3rd year here, Amendola peaked as player in 2010 and since has not shown any significant improvements, his second NFL season remains his most productive in his career and baring some Calvin Johnson performance that will likely remain the case through 5 seasons.

Not to be too nitpicky, but you keep shorting Welker a year in your examples. Welker played in 2004, 2005, and 2006 (3 yrs) prior to coming to N.England.

It wasn't until his THIRD year that he caught 67 balls with Miami, and then his 4th yr was in N.England with Brady.

I'm not sure that I'd totally agree that Amendola didn't have a pretty decent year last year with 63 catches in only 8 games started, although you'd be right that it did not top his 85 catch season in the year before (I'm obviously not going to count the year he went down in week one).

It isn't like he went from 85 to 15. He went from 85 to 63, and that was only starting 8 games. If anything, it could be argued that he was on pace to blow his 85 catches out of the water had he actually played a full season.

I won't insult your intelligence and state that if you doubled his projections it'd have come out to 126 catches in 16 games started because that isn't fair, but he'd have probably caught 100+ balls. He certainly would've topped his 85 with another 22 catches, so let's not act like he wasn't the same player last season that he was the year before (when playing of course).

Not to be too nitpicky, but you keep shorting Welker a year in your examples. Welker played in 2004, 2005, and 2006 (3 yrs) prior to coming to N.England.

It wasn't until his THIRD year that he caught 67 balls with Miami, and then his 4th yr was in N.England with Brady.

I'm not sure that I'd totally agree that Amendola didn't have a pretty decent year last year with 63 catches in only 8 games started, although you'd be right that it did not top his 85 catch season in the year before (I'm obviously not going to count the year he went down in week one).

It isn't like he went from 85 to 15. He went from 85 to 63, and that was only starting 8 games. If anything, it could be argued that he was on pace to blow his 85 catches out of the water had he actually played a full season.

I won't insult your intelligence and state that if you doubled his projections it'd have come out to 126 catches in 16 games started because that isn't fair, but he'd have probably caught 100+ balls. He certainly would've topped his 85 with another 22 catches, so let's not act like he wasn't the same player last season that he was the year before (when playing of course).

It's not shortening his career it's mainly that he was not being used as a receiver in 2004 so I see it as 2005 being his first year on their offense and then 2006 he doubled his production and then he was traded here.

Amendola played in 11 games last season, he missed weeks 6, 7, 8, 13 and 14. Similar to his time here his performance was erratic he had 26 receptions in 2 games (week 2 and week 10) and 37 receptions in the other 9 games he played. I think that is the type of player he is personally, he would tear it up in 2-4 games a year and be average or even non-existent in the other games, nothing wrong with that I just don't think that is a $5.7 million a year receiver unless he can consistently play like he does in the 2-4 games a season that he is dominate.

It's not shortening his career it's mainly that he was not being used as a receiver in 2004 so I see it as 2005 being his first year on their offense and then 2006 he doubled his production and then he was traded here.

Amendola played in 11 games last season, he missed weeks 6, 7, 8, 13 and 14. Similar to his time here his performance was erratic he had 26 receptions in 2 games (week 2 and week 10) and 37 receptions in the other 9 games he played. I think that is the type of player he is personally, he would tear it up in 2-4 games a year and be average or even non-existent in the other games, nothing wrong with that I just don't think that is a $5.7 million a year receiver unless he can consistently play like he does in the 2-4 games a season that he is dominate.

As mgteich pointed out, it's more like a 2 yr deal with a 3 yr option, so I think it's safe to assume that they may restructure/ask for a pay reduction if he doesn't earn his money next year.

If worst comes to worst and he passes on a reduced deal, we can move on prior to the 2015 season. In the meantime, he'll most likely be here for 2014. At least we're not paying someone one of those 8-10 million AAV deals who isn't producing. We're getting less production out of his spot and more from others, so it probably just evens out. As we know though, Belichick isn't going to put up with any player being overpriced for too long, so it'll be put up or shut up time at the end of 2014.

As mgteich pointed out, it's more like a 2 yr deal with a 3 yr option, so I think it's safe to assume that they may restructure/ask for a pay reduction if he doesn't earn his money next year.

If worst comes to worst and he passes on a reduced deal, we can move on prior to the 2015 season. In the meantime, he'll most likely be here for 2014. At least we're not paying someone one of those 8-10 million AAV deals who isn't producing. We're getting less production out of his spot and more from others, so it probably just evens out. As we know though, Belichick isn't going to put up with any player being overpriced for too long, so it'll be put up or shut up time at the end of 2014.

Sup the money is an issue but honestly it is not my money so it does not bother me too much, what annoys me more is I feel that these types of decisions set us back. If we had taken a WR last year instead of signing Lloyd we would be in better shape this year. Don’t get me wrong I am a huge fan of Dobson but we could have taken Rueben Randle last year and we would be further along with the development of the team.

One thing that stands out to me is we knew that a change was imminent at the slot receiver position and we made no attempt to get in front of it, had we been looking a year in advance we could have selected TY Hilton at #90 instead of Jake Bequette.

Obviously I am talking in hindsight 20/20 so it makes sense all I am really getting at is I wish they built the wide receiver group through the draft from the beginning instead of bringing the Lloyds, Amendola and Donald Jones of the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes