PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How serious is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slash83

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Fantasy Football, Baseball and Basketball - news, projections, rankings, draft guide - Rotoworld.com

USC OLB Clay Matthews reportedly created a Facebook group during his junior season called "White Nation," which showed a photo of an African American baby in handcuffs.
Under the picture was a caption saying "arrest black babies before they become criminals." It also said "This group is not for the faint of heart. All members are athletes of Caucasion descent. We are just doing our duty of protecting the Arian brotherhood." Brian Cushing, K David Buehler, and former Redskins draft pick Dallas Sartz joined the group. The athletic dept. billed the group as a joke. Matthews later issued a formal apology.

This is disturbing to me, makes me look at matthews differently now.

This is very old news and really has no substance. It does seem to me that someone out there is trying real hard to drive down his draft stock so they can grab him in the 2nd round.

This is very old news and really has no substance. It does seem to me that someone out there is trying real hard to drive down his draft stock so they can grab him in the 2nd round.

That would be the forces of market correction, no more.

"I agree, I wasnt high on either Matthews or Cushing but this story put my interest at 0."

I said I didn't want a USC LB and was jumped on for it. Maybe we should pass on them.
There seems to be more liking for Sintim and Barwin on this board.

Its not very serious. Its an old story that has only been made relevant now sources that found it to their advantage.

Personally, I draw this up as "locker room"/"field talk" between players going back and forth that somehow made its way to Facebook. These are college kids, not directors of public relations. They do college things and make college mistakes.

Should this effect their draft status, sure. The red flag is half way up the pole on these guys anyways.

Its not very serious. Its an old story that has only been made relevant now sources that found it to their advantage.

Personally, I draw this up as "locker room"/"field talk" between players going back and forth that somehow made its way to Facebook. These are college kids, not directors of public relations. They do college things and make college mistakes.

Should this effect their draft status, sure. The red flag is half way up the pole on these guys anyways.

:confused::confused:

Wait.... so you are saying that if he DID do this... there is nothing to be concerned about? (Im not saying he did... I have no idea).

This is an old story that Matthews apologized for months ago. Lets just say that this story paints him as a racist and no team wants a racist on their team, right? Wait, I'm not going to toss that adjective on him till I see bigger evidence than this (so-called) joke gone wrong.

Wow I was looking at this yesterday (dont know how i came across it). I thought about posting it but I looked into it and I dont think its an issue as it was an inside joke that was brought into the public eye.

I read about this when it first came out, apparently the "White Nation" name was a joke given by some of the black players to the some of the white guys on the team. Its obviously not a very smart thing to do, but it is by no means racist or vindictive. Just typical young college kid joking around type stuff. Its no worse than Bledsoe, Zolak, and Lane stagediving no?

I read about this when it first came out, apparently the "White Nation" name was a joke given by some of the black players to the some of the white guys on the team. Its obviously not a very smart thing to do, but it is by no means racist or vindictive. Just typical young college kid joking around type stuff. Its no worse than Bledsoe, Zolak, and Lane stagediving no?

Totally agree.

The more these non-stories get carted out the less enjoyable I find the weeks before the draft.

It bothers me alot. If I am a GM I stay clear of people like that. Mathews fits Pats versatility-toughness requirement, but I am not sure if he the upside that some of the others have. He plays smart-but I wonder how quickly he hits the ceiling. I really think of him as a second round guy. I am probably the only one from what I read-but I see more dynamics from Larry English-and as much toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST