PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How many SB teams this decade had a Top 5 WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pessimistic Pete

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
2000 Ravens
2001 Patriots
2002 Bucs
2003 Patriots
2004 Patriots
2005 Steelers
2006 Colts
2007 Giants
2008 Steelers
2009 Saints

Just one and they actually had 2.

Are you sure you have the right username? That seems downright . . . optimistic. ;)

2000 Ravens
2001 Patriots
2002 Bucs
2003 Patriots
2004 Patriots
2005 Steelers
2006 Colts
2007 Giants
2008 Steelers
2009 Saints

Steelers had Holmes.
Giants had Burress.
Saints had Colston.

They're all top shelf receivers. For that matter, Keyshawn had his two best years in 2001 and 2002. The Patriots are the only team in the decade that won a Super Bowl without a top shelf receiver.*

*The top shelf receiver for the Ravens was actually a tight end, and not a wide receiver, but I don't consider 2000 to be part of the decade. To me, the decades start with the 1s, and 2010 is the last year of the current decade.

Last edited:
Steelers had Holmes.
Giants had Burress.
Saints had Colston.

They're all top shelf receivers. For that matter, Keyshawn had his two best years in 2001 and 2002. The Patriots are the only team in the decade that won a Super Bowl without a top shelf receiver.*

*The top shelf receiver for the Ravens was actually a tight end, and not a wide receiver, but I don't consider 2000 to be part of the decade. To me, the decades start with the 1s, and 2010 is the last year of the current decade.

So 1990 isn't part of the 90's to you? 1980 is part of the 70's?

So 1990 isn't part of the 90's to you? 1980 is part of the 70's?

That's correct. Our calendar begins with 1 A.D. (and backwards at 1 B.C.). There is no year 0.

That's correct. Our calendar begins with 1 A.D. (and backwards at 1 B.C.). There is no year 0.

That may be true but the year 1900 was the first year of the 20th century, and the year 2000 was the first year of the 21st century.

That may be true but the year 1900 was the first year of the 20th century, and the year 2000 was the first year of the 21st century.

I'm not going to debate the centuries/decades/years thing again. I only brought it up here because he had his decade with the 2000 Ravens in it, and I noted that they had a top shelf receiver/non-receiver (Sharpe) when I explained my exclusion. So, if one wanted to consider 2000 to be the first year of the decade/millenium, it would be 2 teams without a top shelf wide receiver, with one of those two having one of the very best TEs of all time on the squad. Either way, the majority of winning teams in the 2000-2009 period had top shelf wide receivers on the team.

Last edited:
inb4 four page decade debate.

Small glimmer of hope of winning a Superbowl this season became even smaller with the trade of Moss. Sad thing is all these picks they now have really don't guarantee success.

I'm not going to debate the centuries/decades/years thing again. I only brought it up here because he had his decade with the 2000 Ravens in it, and I noted that they had a top shelf receiver/non-receiver (Sharpe) when I explained my exclusion. So, if one wanted to consider 2000 to be the first year of the decade/millenium, it would be 2 teams without a top shelf wide receiver, with one of those two having one of the very best TEs of all time on the squad. Either way, the majority of winning teams in the 2000-2009 period had top shelf wide receivers on the team.

I agree with your greater point and I think the NFL starts the decade at the year 2000 also.

I was going to make this exact thread but I decided that it wasn't a good idea at the time.
Edit: nevermind I was going to make a thread about how many superbowl teams had great receivers/deep threats.
2009: Marques Colston/Lance Moore/Devery Henderson-Saints
Wayne, Garcon, Collie-Colts
2008: Santonio Holmes-Steelers
Boldin, Fitzgerald, Breaston-Cards
2007: Moss, Welker, Stallworth-Pats
Burress-Giants
etc.

Last edited:
Every one of those teams, except maybe the 2000 Ravens, had at least one WR who was significantly better than Wes Welker in his current, recovering state. Or Hernandez, if you think that he's the better option.

Ravens didn't score many points, but they won with a historically great defense. Air attack led by Sharpe, Ismail, and Stokley. Nothing to write home about.

Patriots had a Pro Bowl WR in Troy Brown and a reliable target in Deion Branch. Neither were elite but they came up huge in the playoffs.

Buccaneers had Keyshawn Johnson. Declining at the time but still highly regarded. That team was similar to Baltimore, only with a more respectable passing game.

Steelers had Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, both highly productive, big play receivers.

Colts had Reggie Wayne and a declining, but still serviceable Marvin Harrison. There's also Dallas Clark who is a TE who plays more like a slot receiver.

Giants had Plaxico Burress, another viable top flight receiver.

Saints had Marques Colston, a 1,000+ yard receiver with a knack for scoring touchdowns.

The Colts receivers are the only guys known for regularly putting up monster numbers. But there are lots of different variables in play. That Colts team sucked defensively, except when it mattered most. The Saints won last year on an overachieving defense. The '01 Patriots, '05 Steelers, and '07 Giants weren't considered juggernauts but they got hot at the right time.

If only Dionysius Exiguus had known all the trouble he'd cause (and yes, I had to look the name up :D).

This Santonio Holmes guy you are talking about...where does he play now?

:D

2000 Ravens
2001 Patriots
2002 Bucs
2003 Patriots
2004 Patriots
2005 Steelers
2006 Colts
2007 Giants
2008 Steelers
2009 Saints

Top 5 is one thing but, The Bucs, 05 Steelers, 07 Giants, 08 Steelers,all had 10-15 WR's along with a top 5 defense's. While the Colts and Saints had top 5 overall offense's with with above average, opportunistic D's. Our offense and defense at the point they are now are 10-15 range, possibly worse for the D, so this argument is pretty invalid.

Ravens didn't score many points, but they won with a historically great defense. Air attack led by Sharpe, Ismail, and Stokley. Nothing to write home about.

Patriots had a Pro Bowl WR in Troy Brown and a reliable target in Deion Branch. Neither were elite but they came up huge in the playoffs.

Buccaneers had Keyshawn Johnson. Declining at the time but still highly regarded. That team was similar to Baltimore, only with a more respectable passing game.

Steelers had Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes, both highly productive, big play receivers.

Colts had Reggie Wayne and a declining, but still serviceable Marvin Harrison. There's also Dallas Clark who is a TE who plays more like a slot receiver.

Giants had Plaxico Burress, another viable top flight receiver.

Saints had Marques Colston, a 1,000+ yard receiver with a knack for scoring touchdowns.

The Colts receivers are the only guys known for regularly putting up monster numbers. But there are lots of different variables in play. That Colts team sucked defensively, except when it mattered most. The Saints won last year on an overachieving defense. The '01 Patriots, '05 Steelers, and '07 Giants weren't considered juggernauts but they got hot at the right time.

And the 2010 Patriots have Wes Welker! You know, the guy who has had 100 receptions last three years, noone can cover him 1 on 1, probowler? Yeah, that stiff.

2000 Ravens
2001 Patriots
2002 Bucs
2003 Patriots
2004 Patriots
2005 Steelers
2006 Colts
2007 Giants
2008 Steelers
2009 Saints

giants had plax, and you can argue hines ward is also a top wr, bucs had keyshawn although that team was lead by their D (can argue that for the 2007 giants too)

i'd say all those names listed are top wrs though

aside from the bucs, every one of those teams had a top qb or at least a qb playing damn good in the playoffs (eli had a nice 4 game stretch)

and how many have the maybe youngest and plenty of JAG defense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes