PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How did Josh McDaniels cut to the front of the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabthepat

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I was looking at our coaches' bios on the Pats web site tonight and after reading Josh McDaniels bio he doesn't seem to be qualified for the job he holds. How does he get to his position ahead of so many more qualified and experienced coaches across the NFL?

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=24595

Last edited:
Re: How did Josh McDaniel cut to the front of the line?

Probably because BB feels comfortable with him knowing the system the Patriots run as opposed to bringing in an outsider. Also, a more experienced outsider may just look at the OC of the Patriots as a temporary spring board to a head coaching job where as a younger coach may be inclined to hang around a little longer in obscurity.

Same could be said for DC Dan Pees, who has less NFL experience than Josh McDaniel’s. BB may have chosen his coordininaters with an eye on continuity after Mangini, who was a hot commodity at the time, left after 1 season.

If you read any of the stuff on Belichick, McDaniels seems to be a clone.. BB protected him the first year, the second year he got more exposure and now he is giving press conferences. Why is there a penchant to question what this guy does?? Do you think that BB is listening to his playlist when he has those headphones on?? If McDaniels did not do what he was supposed to do or did not perform to the satisfaction of BB he would have less responsibility or out the door.

This thread reminds me of "lets blame the training staff for all the injuries".. it is what it is, an opportunity for a bright young man to excel under the tutelage of one of the ll time greats. Would it be better for this org is we had an experience OC who did not buy into this system, was here as a stepping stone or was not as loyal as McDaniels is??

I was looking at our coaches' bios on the Pats web site tonight and after reading Josh McDaniels bio he doesn't seem to be qualified for the job he holds. How does he get to his position ahead of so many more qualified and experienced coaches across the NFL?

being young,and inexperieced, you can bet bb controls every move and is the de facto oc

If you read any of the stuff on Belichick, McDaniels seems to be a clone.. BB protected him the first year, the second year he got more exposure and now he is giving press conferences.

That isn't because BB is letting him do press conferences, it's a league rule tht was implemented this year. BB has to let his assistants go to the podium.

That isn't because BB is letting him do press conferences, it's a league rule tht was implemented this year. BB has to let his assistants go to the podium.

Yea, I know, but it is interesting that he went first..

It may be that BB doesn't look at "experience", (outside his organization), as being a strong qualifier for his coaches. He may rate work ethic, quick analytical thinking, or teaching abilities, for example, higher than experience.

Pretty tough to sit on the outside and say that, on paper, McDaniels doesn't seem qualified for the job over more experienced guys. IMO our offense did pretty well last year, all things considered. Josh still has his job, with new offensive toys to play with, it should be a fun season to watch. So sit back and enjoy!;)

McDaniels deserves another year or two to show what he's capable of before we start calling for his head. We were way impatient with Charlie Weiss in the early years of the Dynasty, but I didn't hear anyone complaining about him in 2004 (well, except for NEM).

The guy's been QBs coach for a couple of years, which seems like a springboard position for young OC's.

Yea, I know, but it is interesting that he went first..

Oh, well, yeah... Interesting indeed.
yoda.jpg

Now you are making me think, :beersign:

being young,and inexperieced, you can bet bb controls every move and is the de facto oc

This is a harsh assessment but there's some truth to it.

IMO:

1.) BB does have a high regard for McDaniel... and trusts him to do the bulk of the work BB (as the final decision maker on offense) would do himself if he had the time.

2.) The game planning is a collective effort and always has been - McDaniel has the responsibility for that as well

3.) Gametime decisions and adjustments on the fly are also McDaniel's call - assuming BB concurs - but he's got the big picture to look over during the game and can't do everything

All of these - especially the third - show that McDaniel is more than just a puppet - and explain some of what I feel were unexplainable offensive calls and adjustments last season.

But McDaniel is going to grow into the job - and it's doubtful in a few years he's going to be viewed as a BB puppet - if things go well on offense from hereon - and there's no reason they shouldn't - McDaniel's going to get a good amount of attention within the league.

Brains? Football intellect? Intimate knowledge of this system and it's driving force (the QB)? Broader league experience is all well and good but having worked with lots of folks over the years who should have been or eventually were leapfrogged by younger, brighter and more driven or goal oriented employees, it's not like this just happens here. Belichick promoted McDaniels as much for his potential/capacity (as evaluated by a pretty darned good judge of that kind of thing) as his immediate impact. He obviously felt strongly that he could do the job now and likely would continue to grow into and eventually out of it and develop into someone who could do even more or do it better than any outside candidate.

BTW Belichick was 31 when he was named the DC of the NYG following his 5th season with that team. Josh was about to turn 30 when he was named the OC of the NEP following his 5th season with this team. Both are the sons of football coaches. Lots of similarities. It's a demanding game of innovation in today's NFL and that's a young man's game. Mangini went from ball boy and PR intern Bill discovered colating copies after hours in Cleveland at 24 to coaching assistant in Baltimore and NYJ at 25-28 to a position coach here at 29 to DC at 34 to an NFL HC at 35. And that was with his path rather amply blocked from 2002-2005 by RAC waiting for a HC job. Otherwise BB would have most likely moved him up by 31 or 32.

Our DC had 34 years experience when he was hired as a position coach here. Only not a lick of it was at the NFL level. But a good chunk of that college experience was as a DC for Nick Saban.

We run a Belichick system on both sides of the ball, which I believe many here just don't grasp when it comes to offense. Hiring someone with years of experience in another offensive system or who developed his own system would be counter productive since he'd be asked here to run this system.

I thought his press conference was great, he was relaxed and didn't appear scripted and gave thorough and thoughtful answers that were completely Belichickien in nature

Failure results in scapegoat hunts. What better candidate?

And in New England, 38-34 in the AFCCG is "failure."

McDaniels is the guy, and if he has BB's confidence, he has mine.

Drinking the kool-aid,

PFnV

I don't know why this is even a question. McDaniels has been with the Patriots since 2001. That's 4 years before he was named the O.C. Belichick had seen his work ethic, his ideas, his personality and thought/thinks he was the right man for the job.

Bill evaluates many different Coaches and can work with talented ones.

He admires talented, driven Youth with flair; He also values experienced, vintage Coaches.

He has given positions of responsibility to young "genius" like Eric Mangini, Rob Ryan, Nick Saban, and Pepper Johnson.

He has given positions of responsibility to "old pros" Dante Scarnecchia, Dean Pees and Joel Collier.

He does the same with talented youngsters, independent of where or even if drafted; he also admires cagey, mature, experienced veterans.

Bil knows that talent is where you find it. He keeps hsi eyse open and gets it wherever he can find it.

The simple answer to your question is because BB says so. BB is probably never going to bring in a OC or DC that doesn't already know his O and D system. When Weis left there was really no one that fit that bill for an OC. So BB took the coach he had that was the QB coach and coached that coach to be the OC. Many of the more qualified and experienced coaches that are around are really just retreads and they don't know BB's system.

Probably because BB feels comfortable with him knowing the system the Patriots run as opposed to bringing in an outsider. Also, a more experienced outsider may just look at the OC of the Patriots as a temporary spring board to a head coaching job where as a younger coach may be inclined to hang around a little longer in obscurity.

Same could be said for DC Dan Pees, who has less NFL experience than Josh McDaniel’s. BB may have chosen his coordininaters with an eye on continuity after Mangini, who was a hot commodity at the time, left after 1 season.

Dan Pees I can understand. 34 years coaching experience. College head coach 15 years. Coached under Lou Holtz at N.D.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=28099

It appears Josh has not even been a Pop Warner head coach. Perhaps Nick Saban gave his blessings and it carries weight?

Could it actually be possible if Bill Belichick said one of us fans was qualified to be OC for the Patriots we would be qualified? Josh seems to fit that scenario.

Could it actually be possible if Bill Belichick said one of us fans was qualified to be OC for the Patriots we would be qualified? Josh seems to fit that scenario.
Well you just go right ahead and try to get a job with the Patriots then impress Belichick enough to make you the offensive coordinator. Then you can laugh all the way to the bank. McDaniels did do that - do you thin Belichick just thinks he's cute or something ? Impressing Belichick and getting him to trust you is not easy. McDaniels did it. That qualifies him for the job.

I think the fact that he has such a short resume speaks volumes about how confident Belichick is in him regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back