PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How could the front 7 look next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little tidbit in Bedard's column this morning:

4. I would keep an eye on Trevor Scott, who didn’t get much fanfare as a Patriots free agent signing, to have a big impact. It’s early, but he looked very comfortable in the Elephant end/outside linebacker hybrid role.

Here's the link, though it on the paid site only.

Little tidbit in Bedard's column this morning:

Here's the link, though it on the paid site only.

Very nice. Thanks. Scott played the elephant in Oakland, so he should be comfortable. He had 12 sacks his first 2 years. He could be this year's Mark Anderson.

Yeah, I don't think there's any question that Trevor Scott's potential in this Defense is enormous.

His resume should make that clear, but I agree that the signing continues to be inexplicably ignored by most.

Yeah, I don't think there's any question that Trevor Scott's potential in this Defense is enormous.

His resume should make that clear, but I agree that the signing continues to be inexplicably ignored by most.

I agree that his potential is enormous, or at least big.
But I don't think the lack of attention is inexplicable.

Trevor Scott is the Anthony Gonzalez of the defense. He brings 1.5 sacks total the past two seasons. The comparison to Mark Anderson is apt - a guy who performed well early, then tailed off fighting injuries and was not re-signed by his team. So a similar comparison to Gonzalez.

There have been plenty of edge players who have come to the Patriots with former successes, and plenty of young players with potential, who have not succeeded in the Patriots system. It's really hard to predict, apparently for us fans as well as them coaches.

The roster of edge players includes:
- Chandler Jones
- Rob Ninkovich
- Trevor Scott
- Jake Bequette
- Jermaine Cunningham
- Markell Carter
- Andre Carter, potentially

Each has potential to emerge in this defense. If Carter comes back healthy, it's the deepest and richest potential since 2004 (Colvin, Vrabel, McGinest, Tully Banta-Cain). But obviously all seven won't contribute, and one can argue a valid case for most on that list at this early point.

Trevor Scott is the Anthony Gonzalez of the defense. He brings 1.5 sacks total the past two seasons. The comparison to Mark Anderson is apt - a guy who performed well early, then tailed off fighting injuries and was not re-signed by his team. So a similar comparison to Gonzalez.

Scott played well for 2+ years before tearing his ACL in 2010. He was still recovering last year.

For comparison purposes, Rob Ninkovich injured his knee both his rookie and sophomore years. He was cut 3 times by NO (twice) and Miami. The Pats signed Ninko because of his LS versatility and because they were short on bodies. Here's a nice read on his early days with the Pats fighting for a roster spot:

Rob Ninkovich's new role -- Patriots playmaker - ESPN Boston

Both Scott and Gonzalez have injuries to overcome, and neither will make the team from the whirlpool. But the nice thing about BB is that a player can always make the team based on performance.

Scott's production plummeted in 2010, even before he got injured. His 2011 season was a disaster in terms of on-the-field production. That's why people are lukewarm on him. If he shows something, people will quickly hop on the Trevor Scott bandwagon.

On a semi-related note, if the Patriots end up getting even more situational up front than they already are, we could start seeing more teams running hurry up and no huddle in order to prevent the Patriots' substitutions.

Scott's production plummeted in 2010, even before he got injured. His 2011 season was a disaster in terms of on-the-field production. That's why people are lukewarm on him. If he shows something, people will quickly hop on the Trevor Scott bandwagon.

On a semi-related note, if the Patriots end up getting even more situational up front than they already are, we could start seeing more teams running hurry up and no huddle in order to prevent the Patriots' substitutions.

That's a good point, but hurry up is demanding of a qb and the players. Peyton can pull it off, but I'm not sure the AFC east qbs can, and not for any stretch of time.

If everything goes as planned and our talent steps up I see it looking more like this,

3-4
LDE - Brace
NT - Wilfork
RDE - Deaderick
LOLB - Hightower
SILB - Spikes
WILB - Mayo
ROLB - Jones

4-3
LE - Fanene
DT - Love
DT - Wilfork
RE - Jones
LOLB - Hightower
MLB - Spikes
ROLB - Mayo

2-4/4-2 Sub Package

LOLB/LE - Bequette
DT - Fanene
DT - Wilfork
ROLB/RE - Jones
ILB - Mayo
ILB - Hightower

3-3 Sub Package

LE - Fanene
NT - Wilfork
RE - Jones
LOLB - Hightower
MLB - Mayo
ROLB - Ninkovich

And the last package will be something I expect we will see a lot of in 2012,

NASCAR Package

LE - Hightower
DT - Jones
DT - Bequette
RE - Ninkovich
ILB - Mayo
ILB - Spikes

LDE - Bequette

If everything goes as planned and our talent steps up I see it looking more like this,

3-4
LDE - Brace
NT - Wilfork
RDE - Deaderick
LOLB - Hightower
SILB - Spikes
WILB - Mayo
ROLB - Jones

4-3
LE - Fanene
DT - Love
DT - Wilfork
RE - Jones
LOLB - Hightower
MLB - Spikes
ROLB - Mayo

2-4/4-2 Sub Package

LOLB/LE - Bequette
DT - Fanene
DT - Wilfork
ROLB/RE - Jones
ILB - Mayo
ILB - Hightower

3-3 Sub Package

LE - Fanene
NT - Wilfork
RE - Jones
LOLB - Hightower
MLB - Mayo
ROLB - Ninkovich

NASCAR Package

LE - Hightower
DT - Jones
DT - Bequette
RE - Ninkovich
ILB - Mayo
ILB - Spikes

LDE - Bequette

Good lord, the possibilities are endless!!!

I'm not sure I can make the 100 or so days until the season starts, I'm so damn excited about the potential of the team all around.

3-4
LDE - Brace
NT - Wilfork
RDE - Deaderick
LOLB - Hightower
SILB - Spikes
WILB - Mayo
ROLB - Jones

4-3
LE - Fanene
DT - Love
DT - Wilfork
RE - Jones
LOLB - Hightower
MLB - Spikes
ROLB - Mayo

2-4/4-2 Sub Package

LOLB/LE - Bequette
DT - Fanene
DT - Wilfork
ROLB/RE - Jones
ILB - Mayo
ILB - Hightower

3-3 Sub Package

LE - Fanene
NT - Wilfork
RE - Jones
LOLB - Hightower
MLB - Mayo
ROLB - Ninkovich

NASCAR Package

LE - Hightower
DT - Jones
DT - Bequette
RE - Ninkovich
ILB - Mayo
ILB - Spikes

LDE - Bequette

I've see a ton of these done on this site 80% have Ninkovich not starting in the 3-4 and 4-3 Base, even though he did last year and played well, don't get it.

Brace starting in the 3-4 ? the end on the last year when were playing Love, Wilfork and Deadrick on the line and Brace wasn't even getting on the field. I doubt he even makes the team.

How could the front 7 look next year,....

in DECEMBER?

I guess we'll have to wait.

Last edited:
I've see a ton of these done on this site 80% have Ninkovich not starting in the 3-4 and 4-3 Base, even though he did last year and played well, don't get it.
Probably has something to do with the fact that they just spent 2 1sts, 2 3rds, and a 4th in the draft on 3 players that play Ninkovich's position.

If Hightower plays OLB for us, then I'd have to question what BB is thinking. The kid is a career 3-4 ILB. He doesn't have the suddenness or the moves to play OLB. If we wanted a 'Bama kid to play there, it should have been Upshaw.

Hightower is a wonderful player.

At Inside Linebacker.

Greetings,
I agree with this sentiment as well. Most of my friends who watch college football are Alabama fans, and the ones who know the most about football share the same sentiments as well. Hightower did play defensive end on many downs, but many of us were not too impressed. I am not saying it cannot workout, but I don't expect him to play most of his downs down there. I will say I will trust BB's judgement over mine.

Celticboy04

Last edited:
NE Patriots' Draft looks at DL Jonathan Fanene, who they see as a Mike Wright replacement:

Jonathan Fanene: Can He Be Mike Wright 2.0 for New England? | NEPatriotsDraft.com - 2013 NFL Draft

I'd say their assessment is on the conservative side, though that may not be a bad thing this early on.

Greetings,
I felt the same way when he was signed. I kind of see him as a higher skilled Mike Wright-Jarvis Green type player. I see him doing most of his damage on passing downs.

Celticboy04

Interesting to hear that Ninkovich has been lining up as a 4-3 DE in the media sessions, even though we see him move up in certain situations from his 3-4 OLB stance to help create pressure in passing situations.

Is it possible that Ninkovich could be used more as a straight up DE than we've ever seen before?

I am thinking that it will allow him to be able to show different looks on the fly, while having different responsibilities without having to substitute.

Credit to espnboston.com via link from the front page

" We shouldn’t make assumptions about positions based solely off of what we see during the OTA phase of the offseason, but it’s worth noting that Rob Ninkovich – a strong side linebacker for much of 2011 – has worked with the defensive line during each of the two OTA’s the media has been able to attend. It could mean a lot of things, including that the team feels it has a surplus of talent at linebacker with Ninkovich in the fold, so they may opt to move him to the defensive line to keep his effectiveness on the field. It might also mean the team is looking to rely more heavily on four man fronts in 2012, where Ninkovich projects to be a better fit on the line than in a 3-4 alignment. "

Last edited:
Interesting to hear that Ninkovich has been lining up as a 4-3 DE in the media sessions, even though we see him move up in certain situations from his 3-4 OLB stance to help create pressure in passing situations.

Is it possible that Ninkovich could be used more as a straight up DE than we've ever seen before?

I am thinking that it will allow him to be able to show different looks on the fly, while having different responsibilities without having to substitute.

Credit to espnboston.com via link from the front page

" We shouldn’t make assumptions about positions based solely off of what we see during the OTA phase of the offseason, but it’s worth noting that Rob Ninkovich – a strong side linebacker for much of 2011 – has worked with the defensive line during each of the two OTA’s the media has been able to attend. It could mean a lot of things, including that the team feels it has a surplus of talent at linebacker with Ninkovich in the fold, so they may opt to move him to the defensive line to keep his effectiveness on the field. It might also mean the team is looking to rely more heavily on four man fronts in 2012, where Ninkovich projects to be a better fit on the line than in a 3-4 alignment. "

ESPN filed this under the "3-4 vs. 4-3" category, but I think that's a big misnomer.

NFL Rumors - NFL Trade Rumors, Free Agency Rumors and More - Rumor Central - ESPN

I think that the Pats want as many guys in their front 7 to be comfortable being moved around as possible. Ninkovich played almost exclusively at LB last year, so getting him some extra pre-season time at DE is just doing diligence. Ninkovich should get time as a 4-3 SAM, 3-4 OLB, and 4-3 DE. So should Hightower, plus time at 3-4 ILB as well. Dane Fletcher may also be moved around a lot. The more different looks BB can throw at opposing offenses, the better.

ESPN filed this under the "3-4 vs. 4-3" category, but I think that's a big misnomer.

NFL Rumors - NFL Trade Rumors, Free Agency Rumors and More - Rumor Central - ESPN

I think that the Pats want as many guys in their front 7 to be comfortable being moved around as possible. Ninkovich played almost exclusively at LB last year, so getting him some extra pre-season time at DE is just doing diligence. Ninkovich should get time as a 4-3 SAM, 3-4 OLB, and 4-3 DE. So should Hightower, plus time at 3-4 ILB as well. Dane Fletcher may also be moved around a lot. The more different looks BB can throw at opposing offenses, the better.
Greetings,
I see Ninko playing mostly lb, while playing a lot more third down snaps with his hand in the grass. Hightower was used that way at Bama.

Celticboy04

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference