PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hopkins Headed to Tennessee

Everyone knows winning is hard so you haven't struck gold here. And yes, becoming a contender again would mitigate the complaining, obviously, because we'd be talking more the good (contending) than the bad (the reasons for not contending).

The team hasn't truly contended since 2019 and even that season they were playing like trash in the end. 2020 was a joke. 2021 ended with the most lopsided playoff loss of Belichick's career. And 2022 was an all around mess. A lot to moan about.

So we'll see what happens in 2023 now that "THE REBUILD IS OVER." But at least the number one excuse - "the rebuild" - for the lack of recent success won't be recycled for 2023.
They went on a 7 game winning streak and were considered AFC favorites by some pundits. Don’t rewrite history.

“The sentiment is essentially that there’s some disappointment about the decision within the team, that they didn’t get to work with him, that he’s not going to make the team better, that he’s not coming on board,”

“From what I was hearing, there was a good possibility that Bourne was probably going to be on his way out if Hopkins was on the way in,” Kyed said, referencing the fact the Patriots also have DeVante Parker, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Bourne with cap hits of $5 million or more, along with second-year wideout in Tyquan Thornton.

“So there is still optimism about Kendrick Bourne. I think the team is excited to keep working with him,” Kyed added. “… This was quite possibly the difference between Kendrick Bourne being on the 2023 Patriots and not being on the 2023 Patriots.”
First it was Parker, now it's Bourne that would have been on his way out if Hopkins had signed with the Patriots. They needed Hopkins to to improve the WR corps, not to replace existing players.

Belichick wanted Hopkins, that's clear, and he was bidding against essentially one other team. Only the Patriots and Titans made serious offers to Hopkins. Any interest from any other team was not accompanied by a legitimate offer for his services. So the bottom line here Belichick came in second in a two contestant race. Not acceptable given the need and the probable impact of the player.

They went on a 7 game winning streak and were considered AFC favorites by some pundits. Don’t rewrite history.
7 soft games and a wind storm, seriously congratulations, but the problem is they finished out the season 1-4 including a playoff drubbing courtesy of Bill's kryptonite Josh Allen.

7 soft games and a wind storm, seriously congratulations, but the problem is they finished out the season 1-4 including a playoff drubbing courtesy of Bill's kryptonite Josh Allen.
They weren’t good enough, Mac was a doughy rookie used to playing 13 games and not coincidentally faded after that many games.

The defense also was not complete, they were poor against the run. It’s been a slow ascent and improvement with a Patricia dip mixed in.

Allen can’t get himself to the big dance… so give it a rest with the Josh Allen magic BS.

“The sentiment is essentially that there’s some disappointment about the decision within the team, that they didn’t get to work with him, that he’s not going to make the team better, that he’s not coming on board,”

“From what I was hearing, there was a good possibility that Bourne was probably going to be on his way out if Hopkins was on the way in,” Kyed said, referencing the fact the Patriots also have DeVante Parker, JuJu Smith-Schuster and Bourne with cap hits of $5 million or more, along with second-year wideout in Tyquan Thornton.

“So there is still optimism about Kendrick Bourne. I think the team is excited to keep working with him,” Kyed added. “… This was quite possibly the difference between Kendrick Bourne being on the 2023 Patriots and not being on the 2023 Patriots.”
I would honestly rather keep Bourne over getting Dhop. Bourne is cheaper, can play a full season, and has chemistry with mac. Dhop will probably play about 9 games.

We’ve covered this. You play who you play. And good teams are supposed to beat up on bad teams, which is why they hung 40+ 3 times including two where they hit the 50pt mark.

If you love Josh Allen so much, I’m sure the Bills board would love to have you. Plenty of fans have turned on him and I’m sure would battle it out with you telling all of them how ridiculous they are as you sing his praises.

YES!... according to the forum's #1 IBWT authority @Wozzy ... just ask him.
A rebuild was something I said they would need after the 2019 season and before Tom announced he was leaving. I have the receipts.

A quarter of their cap was gone before the 2020 season began used on dead cap, they had 11 starters or major contributors that needed to be re-signed or replaced (including the QB) and they were near the bottom of the league in available cap space.

See if you believe in math rather than one magical player, team building makes all sorts of sense.

I would honestly rather keep Bourne over getting Dhop. Bourne is cheaper, can play a full season, and has chemistry with mac. Dhop will probably play about 9 games.
What’s the point of being available when the coaching staff refuses to play him?

This is so bizarre ... I don't get your mindset at all given this is a team that you're supposed to be a fan of. I've gone back through posts and the percentage that you say anything positive is beyond minimal. I get last year stunk and it sucks that Brady's gone, but you're getting caught in a rut that I don't know if you can dig your way out of if you keep this mindset. It's going to have you looking for every negative even during good times. That's not a good way to be. Like, at all.

What’s the point of being available when the coaching staff refuses to play him?
He was in the doghouse with Fatty P for complaining that Fatty P didnt know what he was doing. He was used a lot more the year before when we had a real OC in McDaniels

He looks great when he has the ball in his hands, but last year I put 1 of my 2 pom poms down for him because when they called him into the lineup, he made a lot of mental errors

he really needs to clean that up.. granted, part of that could be rust for not getting any playing time
Re: Mental Errors, I am not sure who had them on the WR group last year. We saw far too often that we'd have guys running routes that put them in proximity to each other that a single DB could cover multiple guys. Was that Matty P? The player or players? Troy Brown? Did guys line up wrong to begin with, which is on Mac? Those are the type of errors that you see when installing plays in high school, not the NFL, and certainly not what we expect to see in Foxboro. I would expect that to be dramatically different this year.

He looks great when he has the ball in his hands, but last year I put 1 of my 2 pom poms down for him because when they called him into the lineup, he made a lot of mental errors

he really needs to clean that up.. granted, part of that could be rust for not getting any playing time

This is true. But we also had an absolute buffoon running the offense. And what we know now alot of guys had no idea what they were running. I mean how many times did we have guys running in the same area or guys running into each other (I think that's how Henry got hurt).

When everyone regressed with Patricia, hard to put it all on the player.

If the 3 of Juju, Parker and Bourne. I think Bourne has the most upside IMO. He showed it with McDaniels.

Allen can’t get himself to the big dance… so give it a rest with the Josh Allen magic BS.
Not his fault. He literally played like Superman in the 2021 postseason but his defense couldn't make a stop in 13 unbelievable seconds.

Allen has 20 TDs in 8 playoff games so he's pretty god damn good.

A rebuild was something I said they would need after the 2019 season and before Tom announced he was leaving. I have the receipts.

A quarter of their cap was gone before the 2020 season began used on dead cap, they had 11 starters or major contributors that needed to be re-signed or replaced (including the QB) and they were near the bottom of the league in available cap space.

See if you believe in math rather than one magical player, team building makes all sorts of sense.
Whatever you say Wozzy. All I know is you have also stated the rebuild is over so I'm taking your word for it. It's over so time for Bill and his team to put up or go home.

Everyone knows winning is hard so you haven't struck gold here. And yes, becoming a contender again would mitigate the complaining, obviously, because we'd be talking more the good (contending) than the bad (the reasons for not contending).

The team hasn't truly contended since 2019 and even that season they were playing like trash in the end. 2020 was a joke. 2021 ended with the most lopsided playoff loss of Belichick's career. And 2022 was an all around mess. A lot to moan about.

So we'll see what happens in 2023 now that "THE REBUILD IS OVER." But at least the number one excuse - "the rebuild" - for the lack of recent success won't be recycled for 2023.

The ceiling of 2023 team is about what 2021 team is. I honestly don't think you can contend in the modern NFL without an elite receiver. And I don't see Thornton or whomever we have developing into one.

It has become almost as important as the quarterback. Which is why we saw the massive improvements with the Bills/Allen and eagles/hurts when their teams went out and got elite receivers. People forget there were massive question marks about those guys before then.

Bill needs a shift in philosophy. The way his teams are constructed they have high floor, low ceiling. They'll never be bad, but without an elite receiver they will never reach the next level.

We’ve covered this. You play who you play. And good teams are supposed to beat up on bad teams, which is why they hung 40+ 3 times including two where they hit the 50pt mark.
Someone else brought up those 7 games... I can't reply? It's called conversation.

If you love Josh Allen so much, I’m sure the Bills board would love to have you. Plenty of fans have turned on him and I’m sure would battle it out with you telling all of them how ridiculous they are as you sing his praises.
Now I can't talk about Josh Allen? Please put a list of restricted topics in your forum rules so I know better.

I don't believe this nonsense about Buffalo fans turning on Allen either. Yes, perhaps a minority percentage, but I'm sure those idiots are getting shot down by the majority. Allen is probably the second best quarterback in the league today, certainly top 5, and no one in their right mind would dispute it.

This is so bizarre ... I don't get your mindset at all given this is a team that you're supposed to be a fan of. I've gone back through posts and the percentage that you say anything positive is beyond minimal. I get last year stunk and it sucks that Brady's gone, but you're getting caught in a rut that I don't know if you can dig your way out of if you keep this mindset. It's going to have you looking for every negative even during good times. That's not a good way to be. Like, at all.
You're violating one of your own rules in there... see if you can find it.

Secondly, I've made positive posts about Stevenson, Parker, Bourne, Zappe, Marcus Jones, Judan, Uche, Bentley, Dugger, Barmore, and recently departed players Meyers and Damien Harris... you didn't stumble across any of those posts? Are you auditing anyone else or just me?

Finally, I'm not stuck on anything. I call it like I see it. There's some positive, which as I just mentioned I've pointed out, but when you're 25-26 over the last 3 seasons with no playoff wins then there's a lot of negative too.

I'm glad you're optimistic about the 2023 season, I'm not, and I'm not going to lie about it so I can prove my fandom to you or anybody else.

But at the same if you're right about the team, and I'm not (we're predicting exactly opposite records), then I'll gladly acknowledge it and be more than happy and positive about your prediction coming to fruition.

You're violating one of your own rules in there... see if you can find it.
You may have missed this part then:
We may terminate your access to all or any part of the Service at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.
Throw Out GIF by SWR Kindernetz

Allen did his part against the Chiefs in 2021. The defense allowed the Chiefs to get into field goal range with 16 seconds left in the game to tie.

Both Allen and the defense didn’t show up in last years game against the Bengals. Their defense is extremely overrated and gets carved up by competent offenses.

Allen is a really good QB, but his supporting cast sucks.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back