PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hopkins Headed to Tennessee

All our veteran WR’s have a track record of being able to get open.
Not according to analysts watching tape.

Not according to analysts watching tape.
PFF told us Stephon Gilmore was a below average CB when we signed him... but sure, let's believe them now.

If that's the case, he needs to adjust his value scale for the talent he does have under center
I think he's got the value scale right, he's got a QB on a rookie contract with first round pedigree, major college/SEC starter and D1 national championship on his resume. Whether or not Mac is going to live up to his draft position remains to be seen.

This is the type of roster analysis that other NFL teams go thru that don't have an MVP caliber QB under center. It was much more fun, IMO anyway, when you knew going in that the QB position was all set.

PFF told us Stephon Gilmore was a below average CB when we signed him... but sure, let's believe them now.
Evan Lazar mentioned this last year that the Pats have been among the worst at separating against DB’s since 2019.

Broadcasting analysts calling the Pats games mentioned this almost weekly in 2022.

I didn't see anything last year from him that warranted an extension. I would have preferred Bill take that money and spend it on Dhop.
OK. I saw his contributions differently.

my first point isn't hyperbole. Did we make any moves in the opening of free agency? Did we make any solid offers for the players rumored to be available beyond free agency? If we did, its news to me.

DHop - months later, doesn't fall into that category.
After accusing me of hyperbole, you wrote your own hyperbolic "walking into this season without showing any effort to add a quality WR in free agency".

I showed they signed a FA WR, long before the season starts.

You're shifting the goal posts to "make any moves in the opening of free agency", "make any solid offers for the players rumored to be available", etc.

These are signs of someone who is in this to win rather than to have an honest discussion.

Have a nice day!

Evan Lazar mentioned this last year that the Pats have been among the worst at separating against DB’s since 2019.

Broadcasting analysts calling the Pats games mentioned this almost weekly in 2022.
Evan seems like a nice guy, but he believes in some nonsense analytics.

Devante Parker has had 72 catches, 1202 yards and 9 TD's in a season.
Juju has had 111 catches, 1426 yards and 7 TD's in a season.
Bourne has had 55 catches, 800 yards, 5 TD's with a 79% catch rate in a season.

At what point did they stop getting open... was it when they became Patriots?

Getting open is a lot more than the individual skill of said player. Scheme, play design, play action, fellow weapons drawing coverage... getting players wide open takes a complete offense.

These guys have the athleticism to play at a high level, every receiver on our roster has the prerequisite quicks to get open. Obie and the QB have to do their jobs well as well... which wasn't necessarily the case in 2021 and absolutely didn't happen in 2022.

season 7 episode 24 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

*if you listen to some people here.

Getting open is a lot more than the individual skill of said player. Scheme, play design, play action, fellow weapons drawing coverage... getting players wide open takes a complete offense.

These guys have the athleticism to play at a high level, every receiver on our roster has the prerequisite quicks to get open. Obie and the QB have to do their jobs well as well... which wasn't necessarily the case in 2021 and absolutely didn't happen in 2022.
It’s funny because I know you weren’t a fan of Parker or JuJu before they became Patriots

Nobody said rebuilds are never-ending but the negative nancy's here. Again if they had a legit offensive coordinator last year they would have made the playoffs two years in a row. They probably wouldn't have won it all but they would have improved every season since 2020. The rebuild is over, we'll see how they do this season. They need to stay healthy and the youth need to develop and contribute.
That's quite a statement coming from the excuse making rebuilding king. So what are you expecting out of the team this season then? Wins? Playoffs? Division title? I'm guessing you're a definite yes on the playoffs since you say the only thing keeping them from the postseason was everyone's favorite scapegoat Patricia. The real culprit is still here but hopefully he got it right this time. Also the quarterback has a lot to prove this season, that's the main thing I'm looking at.

It’s funny because I know you weren’t a fan of Parker or JuJu before they became Patriots
I clearly remember many on the board laughing at JuJu dancing around filming his Tik Tok videos and when he struggled in 2019 without AB.

I clearly remember many on the board laughing at JuJu dancing around filming his Tik Tok videos and when he struggled in 2019 without AB.
I am one of those grumpy old me who hate the tiktok BS he posts. Still hate it, but I will be rooting for the guy to succeed.

I’ll say this. If Boutte or Douglas would’ve missed the cut due to a numbers game with Dhop and caught on and thrived somewhere else that would’ve hurt us a lot more than missing out on Dhop.

Um... which has a better chance of happening? We cut Boutte or Douglas (which may still happen anyway) and they "thrive" elsewhere or Hopkins would have been a major lift for Mac and the offense?

Yep... Booty especially is Never going to thrive here or Anywhere Else...Ever.

Imagine trying to build an argument by isolating career best seasons (JuJu four years ago, Parker three years ago) and doing it with a straight face.

I am one of those grumpy old me who hate the tiktok BS he posts. Still hate it, but I will be rooting for the guy to succeed.
I’m 40 and think TikTok kills brain cells. In fact, when MySpace and Facebook was in its infancy stages in my early 20’s, I thought they were pointless too.

Evan Lazar or Bacon bc I've been the only one saying it. Specifically against man since Bradys last year.

After accusing me of hyperbole, you wrote your own hyperbolic "walking into this season without showing any effort to add a quality WR in free agency".
I showed they signed a FA WR, long before the season starts.

You're shifting the goal posts to "make any moves in the opening of free agency", "make any solid offers for the players rumored to be available", etc.

These are signs of someone who is in this to win rather than to have an honest discussion.

Have a nice day!
:rolleyes:

Its not about "winning" anything... what do I win? Think some guy shows up with a blue ribbon and a gold medal when i think i "win"? Thats insulting.... but then again, this coming from someone who starts the back and forth with "Glad you aren't running the team" and "Maybe turn off the sports radio for a few days" shtick...

So gtfo of here trying to tell me I'm shifting goal posts... Its ****ing July - a week & a day away from camp and we are talking about a move we tried to make for Hopkins like its the same thing as trying to address a glaring issue with the team at the beginning of free agency or even the draft... There is no shifting of goals... its a recognition of just how long we have known about how weak the WR corps on this team is... and you're worried about a 1000+ yard receiver because he took some peds and missed a few games?

Take a look at what we have now
JJSS - is 26, has only played 3 full seasons in his 6 year career
Kendrick Bourne - hasn't played a full season since 2019
22 year old Tyquan Thornton missed 4 games due to injury
Devante Parker has played 1 16 game season in his 8 years in the league...
a rookie wr who the team may or may not have already given up on

Now give me my medal ***** cuz you just got your ass handed to you.

Evan Lazar or Bacon bc I've been the only one saying it. Specifically against man since Bradys last year.
PFF rated the Patriots 2019 WR crew the worst they've ever graded since their inception in 2006.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back