PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Hank Baskett?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tantrix

Rookie
Reaction score
I know that WR is a glaring whole for us right now.With us sitting at the 21st overall pick in the first round.There seems to be quite a bit of speculation of who we shall go after.that's fine,the 2nd round .fine.BUT,with our two third round picks..We should look at this dude.Im out here in Albuquerque,And Ive been to MANY UNM footballgames.This guy is a class act.very involved in the Neighborhood,GREAT Hands.Always has a smile on his face and is a very hardworker.Great BB type player.You guys oughtta take a took..He will most likely get overlooked.But damn,This kids got some appeal.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2006/showplayer.php?key=Hank Baskett

hmm says he didnt play well against greater competition. id like a guy like Derek Hagan if he can slip to us in 3rd which i doubt but hes a good possesion receiver with 4.42 speed. put up crazy stats but senior bowl started questioning his hands but before that he was fantastic

I'd love to see us pick up Baskett, but I've seen a few mocks have him going in the 2nd round. I know, mocks don't mean squat, but still... :)

New Mexico's Hank Baskett (6'2, 224 pounds) may not be a household name but he has an impressive resume. Playing for a team not known for passing the ball, Baskett caught 67 passes for 1,071 yards and nine touchdowns last season.

Baskett isn't only impressive on the football field; he was very impressive in his interview. The former Lobo had the misfortune of talking at the same time as a guy named Vince Young, so I was actually able to sit down with him for a one-on-one interview. He came off as an intelligent young man who was very confident in his abilities but not ****y.

"I guarantee I'm hungrier than anyone here," Baskett said. "I'm starving. I want to show the NFL people what I'm all about."

Baskett played quarterback up until his final four games in high school before switching to receiver. He wasn't heavily recruited by many Division I programs but New Mexico gave him a scholarship and he repaid them by becoming one of the most prolific pass catchers in school history.

His size and leaping ability makes Baskett a big threat in the red zone. He was the 2004 Mountain West Conference outdoor high jump champion, so he has the ability to go up and get the ball over smaller defenders.

Still, even with all his receptions, Baskett says his toughness is what sets him apart from other receivers in this draft.

"I'm the best blocking receiver in this draft by far," Baskett said. "I love to block. I like to get physical with defensive backs and put them on the ground."

Baskett likened his game to the Bears Mushin Muhammad because they are both physical players but he doesn't really want to be compared to anyone. He would rather make a name for himself instead.

"I respect a lot of receivers in the NFL but I don't want to pattern my game after anyone," he said. "I want to be the best and you can't be the best trying to be somebody else."

Baskett talked to the Patriots at The Senior Bowl and was looking forward to speaking with them again this week at the Combine.

"I'm excited about the possibility of playing in New England," Baskett said. "They have a great team and a great tradition. I really respect Coach Belichick and I would love to play for him."
http://www.patriots.com/search/index.cfm?ac=searchdetail&pid=15682&pcid=41&special_section=draft2006

funny..didnt that site say hes not a good blocker?

If I remember correctly, his dad has a strong military background - that kind of thing appeals to Belichick just like coaches sons do.

Aint that the truth! this kid does block,a major part of the reason the Lobo's had the MWC #1 Running back for so long in Dontrelle Moore.Jeez,AND FINALLY! I get one of the avid posters to agree with me on something!~::Does a Dance::: Im movin up!.Seriously though,Im excited about this Kid.If you guys only knew the way he lit up the stands with his energy.."The Pit" as we call it wont see another WR caliber of this type for quite some time.::Shrugs::: Oh well,I'll hush about it now.

I see you posted that from Patriots.com. One of the writers there really likes him. He talked to him at the Combine and said he was very impressive. I heard him talking about Baskett on the Patriots.com radio show and he said he would be a nice fit for the Patriots because he's so physical and he has the kind of football mentality that Belichick likes. I've never seen him play but he sounds like an interesting prospect.

Remix 6 said:
funny..didnt that site say hes not a good blocker?

SOME site certainly did. I kind of like the kid too...assuming he IS a good blocker. If the evaluations are correct though, that he isn't a good blocker, I'd pass.

The Gr8est said:
SOME site certainly did. I kind of like the kid too...assuming he IS a good blocker. If the evaluations are correct though, that he isn't a good blocker, I'd pass.

What I have read is that Baskett is a good downfield blocker, but not as great of an inline blocker, but still good. Supposedly a good club move will get a CB by him.

I think that Hank Baskett would be a very good addition to the Pats. Especially since its looking like he'll be available later in the draft.

F.B.N. said:
I would not be shocked to see Belichick pick 2 WR's in our 1st 5 or 6 picks.
Unless something changes (like trading for Moulds or Walker), I expect our #2 or #3 will be a WR and that we'll take another on Day 2. There's a decent group of Round 2-Round 4 WR, it seems.

This is the kind of heads-up from someone who has repeated up-close impressions of a draftable youngster ...

which we haven't seen as much of this year as i recall from years past.

Maybe the draft forum has 'em ... where the cognoscenti see them, but not me.

Thanks, Tantrix.

NEM said:
Is he related to Easter Baskett?

Not sure about that but he does have Baskett balls :rolleyes:

Both he and Mike Hass are rated to be 3rd rounders by many publications. Either one will be a good pickup. Neither are rated as a #1 reciever but we have Branch in that role.

I really like the guy. Needs to hit the juggs machine, but his upside is way up the charts. Reminds me a lot of Keyshawn when he came out.

Living here in the desert I saw a lot of Hank Baskett playing for new mexico. huge target, good blocker downfield. his disadvantage is the mental game and route running.

just my 2 cents

Weel Said Everyone...Im definatly praying we have the opportunity for this guy.

NEM said:
Is he related to Easter Baskett?
A Tisket! A Tasket! The Pats should draft Hank Baskett ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back