PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Goodell lied about deflation amount, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
[Mods - merge if you feel it proper. I have no idea which thread is best to merge this into if you decide to do so :) ]

Saw this in the comments section of Stradley's blog. The NFL filings have pissed me off too much so I haven't looked at them again to verify.

In Goodell's appeal ruling he alters two important findings of fact without any evidence presented in the appeal to support it.

1. He makes an assertion regarding the science that neither Exponent nor Wells themselves make, claiming tampering was the "substantial" portion of pressure loss.

Is "the substantial" a proper phrase? Wouldn't it have to be "a substantial", "more substantial", or "less substantial"? I'm not a master of the English language, but it looks strange to me.

I don't think Roger is trying to lie here, I think he's just not particularly well-spoken. That said, even "a substantial" would be a reach for any logical mind.

Is "the substantial" a proper phrase? Wouldn't it have to be "a substantial", "more substantial", or "less substantial"? I'm not a master of the English language, but it looks strange to me.

I don't think Roger is trying to lie here, I think he's just not particularly well-spoken. That said, even "a substantial" would be a reach for any logical mind.
"The substantial" is a proper phrase in the English language. It implies that there are no other substantial causes of pressure loss distinct from "a substantial" which allows for other substantial causes of pressure loss. In this case, referring to tampering as "a substantial" cause of pressure loss is unsubstantiated and unfounded, whereas referring to tampering as "the substantial" cause of pressure loss is known to be factually incorrect according to established scientific principles. It is unclear to me if this was an intentional rebuke of the scientific consensus or merely an error in phrasing, but either way it's incorrect.

I think, at best, Roger is being disingenuous here.

I've pointed it out a couple of times and in my mind, substantial would have to be a large % of the total. in my mind 75% or more. It's really him trying to control or further the narrative because everyone has bought into his lies without trying to verify the information.

Chris Mortensen told him to use the word "significant" and because Goody's cranium cavity is the size of a cat, he said "substantial" instead.

If you all have not noticed the man makes crap up as he goes and if a judge can not see that and rules against Brady then it's like putting a man in jail for murder even though dna evidence says it was not him.

Just to put the numbers on it...

If you believe Wells conclusion as to the ref's faulty memory of the gauge, average loss of pressure = 1.39 psi

If you trust the ref's memory, average loss of pressure = 1.01 psi

If you believe that Foxboro MA is indeed in our universe, that the footballs were at 72 degrees when they were pressure-checked pregame and were at 51 degrees when they were pressure-checked at halftime, they lost about 1.16 psi by the pressure/temperature relationship.

If you believe that the cold rain (less than 51 degrees) and the wetness of the footballs (leather stretches when wet) both had no additional effect whatsoever, then you can go with 1.16 psi.

So let's go with all of the assumptions that paint the Patriots in the most unfavorable light. A pressure loss of 0.23 psi would be unaccounted for. A pressure loss of over 5 times that would be due to the temperature drop. Yes, 1:5.

so, if you have 6 things, is one of them a substantial portion of the six?

synonyms of "substantial": considerable, real, significant, important, notable, major, valuable, useful, fundamental, essential, basic.

In this context, he seems to be saying it is the major or most significant component. That is not true even if you make all of the assumptions that paint the Patriots in the most unfavorable light.

By saying "the substantial" they are saying that other factors were in play, but those factors didn't amount to much..

The NFL is reaping the rewards of indoctrinating the masses to the idea that NE's balls were several psi below the minimum. Even though their own slanted analysis indicates a trivial amount of air was released, the fact that they can claim it couldn't have occurred naturally allows them to maintain the condescension of the higher amount.

I can't tell if this is a brilliantly crafted plan or if they were so boisterous at first that embarrassment and a stubborn refusal to admit error has taken them down this path. The whole office was marching in such immediate lockstep that I honestly lean toward the former.

BTW, this is a great vid that summarizes a key error in Exponent's math in easy to understand format. Note how little difference there is in even the worst case scenario, and that is before factoring in Exponent's perfunctory water testing and numerous other issues.

I think at this point the best thing would be to merge a whole mess of threads into

"Did Fraudger* lie about _____ too?"

:rolleyes:

[Edit: It would be a compassionate act towards @neuronet too! Good karma! :D]

*© 2015 Whoever Coined The Term LLP ;)

Last edited:
Science is dark magic duh

IGL_monolith_zpsvvv8yo9z.png

To fully expose Goodell's attempts to weave evidence of wrongdoing from whole cloth (and exonerate both Brady and the team), I am starting to think the larger issues would be better served by a truly independent arbitration instead of Berman vacating the suspension. An arbitration could be the basis for a settlement without either side agreeing to different penalties, which seems unlikely.

Last edited:
[Mods - merge if you feel it proper. I have no idea which thread is best to merge this into if you decide to do so :) ]

Saw this in the comments section of Stradley's blog. The NFL filings have pissed me off too much so I haven't looked at them again to verify.

Not only do I think he believes this but I also think half the nation believes that a substantial amount the deflation was due to tempering.

I wish Kessler had asked a "how much air do you think was released from those footballs" type of question during the appeal. They would have answered less than half a psi. That would have been a really hard nugget for half of these mediots to swallow when those transcripts were released.

Last edited:
BTW, this is a great vid that summarizes a key error in Exponent's math in easy to understand format. Note how little difference there is in even the worst case scenario, and that is before factoring in Exponent's perfunctory water testing and numerous other issues.

Excellent video. Do you know who made it?

But....the report said the ideal gas law exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes