PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Gerard Warren Back for 2012 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the speaks to the general condition of our BIG DL - not great. BB was waiting to see how the draft was going to unfold before he signed the guy. I'm sure there was a possibility that if different guys fell and we drafted a DT he'd sign some JAG LB or pass rusher.

That said I like the move. He knows the system and we needed to sign someone at that positional grouping. I could see Warren beating out Brace and improving the roster.

Any other FA DL out there worth hoping for?

Last edited:
No, I guess I didn't. Warren is a JAG. Good depth, but nothing to get excited about.

Maybe, but this is one JAG we could definitely use. He's a valuable JAG to this team, especially given DL depth is its only weak spot right now.

I'm going to guess we take 6 "true" D-Linemen (meaning not tweener DE/OLB types) into the regular season. Assuming Wilfork, Fanene, Love, and Deaderick have the inside track for jobs, that leaves the following players competing for two theoretical spots:

Warren
Brace
Pryor
Harrison
Forston

There's still definitely room for some improved competition there, so adding another vet or UDFA to the mix would be a good idea.

I'm going to guess we take 6 "true" D-Linemen (meaning not tweener DE/OLB types) into the regular season. Assuming Wilfork, Fanene, Love, and Deaderick have the inside track for jobs, that leaves the following players competing for two theoretical spots:

Warren
Brace
Pryor
Harrison
Forston

There's still definitely room for some improved competition there, so adding another vet or UDFA to the mix would be a good idea.
What about Jones/Bequette on that list?

What about Jones/Bequette on that list?

I'm waiting to see how they're used. They seem to be DE in college, but they also played standing up if I recall (not a lot, but some of the time), which indicates to me they're not going to be a big beefy DL like I'm qualifying here.

It's possible the Pats go lighter and only keep 4 or 5 of the big guys, I'm just estimating here.

I think the speaks to the general condition of our BIG DL - not great. BB was waiting to see how the draft was going to unfold before he signed the guy. I'm sure there was a possibility that if different guys fell and we drafted a DT he'd sign some JAG LB or pass rusher.

That said I like the move. He knows the system and we needed to sign someone at that positional grouping. I could see Warren beating out Brace and improving the roster.

Any other FA DL out there worth hoping for?

Clearly this is the case
but it makes me wonder
exactly what 2 gap lineman was BB hoping for?
He could have had a PLETHORA of them in the 2nd round
Kendall Reyes
Brandon Thompson
Jerel Worthy

I would rather have Warren than Brace.
Good move.

Seems like Brace is expendable now. Too bad he never proved he was worth that high of a pick. Love has surpassed him.

Now Gotta think about getting Carter back on the next line of defense...if he is 90% or better physically.

Clearly this is the case
but it makes me wonder
exactly what 2 gap lineman was BB hoping for?
He could have had a PLETHORA of them in the 2nd round
Kendall Reyes
Brandon Thompson
Jerel Worthy

Well as an example Poe or Brockers could have fallen into trading range and Jones could have gone where we weren't comfortable trading up.

Or if didn't trade up maybe we don't take Wilson at 48 b/c we still have a 3 picks (compared to 1) left to get a S. And w/ 48 we now are free to take a DL BB liked (could have been a guy you listed).

There's 1000 different scenarios that could have occurred.

It's funny the prospects you listed. I view them all as interior rushers more than 2 gappers. I also think we could use an interior rusher more than a 2 gapper.

Agreed that Warren played well and it looks like we are going with mostly role players at DL with all the talent at DE/Olb and ILB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back