General Value In Various Rounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
FIRST
I see value at linebacker/tweener and corner. I have 13, on my board 10 at these positions. I suspect that we will move up.

SECOND
I have blinders here. There are several TE's I want. There are also a couple of NT's.

THIRD/FOURTH
This seems where we will get a wide receivers, if at all and perhaps a backup OT.
-------------------

Dropoff in value at a position

How much does the dropoff in players at a particular position play in draft value? For example, Mangold seems to be the only center with a first round grade. There don't even seem to be any centers with a solid second round grade on some draft sights. Does this in some way inflate Mangold's value? Does anyone see any examples of this at other positions?

I always find it amusing to hear people talk about using the "best player available" draft strategy. It seems to me that other than early in the first round a team is rarely in a draft position where there is clearly one player who is the "best player" left in the draft. I guess it is a matter of how you define "best player". To me it probably takes into consideration the position of the player and if it is easy to get a player later in the draft to fill that position without a big dropoff in talent. You don't "reach" for players to fill a "need" at a postion, but you do consider the position. I believe BB has talked about certain "body types" that are harder to find that relate to certain positions such as TEs, 3-4 DL, etc. OK, I will stop my rant. Appreciate hearing others thoughts on this.

There are actual grades for each player put out by the scouting services. Someone can check, but I would guess that Mangold is heads and shoulders above the rest. But yes, his draft prospects are higher than if there were 8 centers at his level. That's just supply and demand.

Consider wide receiver. Jackson, Holmes and Moss are going to be rich because they are the best receivers in a very week receiver draft and because there is a major drop off to the rest.

I agree that it difficult to draft value and not need. Will we tempted to draft one of the receivers, even though none would be a first in another draft? WE certainly have the need at WR. To prevent this kind of thinking, we should be filling the WR position before the draft. Linebacker is a bit different. There are a dozen linebackers in the 5-50 range. Going into the draft, we can reasonably expect a choice of at least say three of them, without overpaying.

MalaysiaPatsFan said:
How much does the dropoff in players at a particular position play in draft value? For example, Mangold seems to be the only center with a first round grade. There don't even seem to be any centers with a solid second round grade on some draft sights. Does this in some way inflate Mangold's value? Does anyone see any examples of this at other positions?

I always find it amusing to hear people talk about using the "best player available" draft strategy. It seems to me that other than early in the first round a team is rarely in a draft position where there is clearly one player who is the "best player" left in the draft. I guess it is a matter of how you define "best player". To me it probably takes into consideration the position of the player and if it is easy to get a player later in the draft to fill that position without a big dropoff in talent. You don't "reach" for players to fill a "need" at a postion, but you do consider the position. I believe BB has talked about certain "body types" that are harder to find that relate to certain positions such as TEs, 3-4 DL, etc. OK, I will stop my rant. Appreciate hearing others thoughts on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back