PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Free Agent CB Alterraun Verner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't particularly agree with your opinion but I will acknowledge that technique, speed and strength are contributing factors to good play.

I agree. Sherman has many great qualities, but he's made some amazing, clutch plays that wouldn't have been possible without his height.

On a side note, in my opinion, the most talented CB on the market this season is Dominique Rodger-Cromartie, the problem is that his commitment to the game is questionable. I wonder if Belichick could light a fire under him and make him the player he has the talent to be.

I agree that by no means is there a consensus that Talib is the most highly sought CB on the open market. Actually, most of the reports and predictors that I've read had at least 1-2 higher CBs above him. Grimes was pretty much the #1 rated CB in most of the projections, with either Verner or DRC coming above Talib in many others. It's also one of the reasons why I don't see Talib being offered much above 6.5--7 per year here, since he'll almost definitely be coming in below Grimes.

I wanted to go after DRC last year, due to the cheaper market numbers. He's definitely talented in coverage, but I don't believe that he tackles with enough physicality to be brought in our scheme myself. The tackling seems to be a bit of a weakness, and that doesn't tend to go over too well.

Then again, you never know. If we lose Talib, I would hope that other comparable CBs will be explored.

The Pats didn't play a 3-4 in 2 Super Bowl wins.

The 2003 and 2004 Superbowl wins were both 3-4 based defenses. Only the 2001 SB win was a 4-3 base defense.

Too short. Need taller CB's.

If going small I will take Vontae Davis. Pro Football Focus' No. 3 corner in 2013, behind only Darrelle Revis and Grimes. Finished No. 2 in pass coverage. Compact build at 5-foot-11, 204 with 37 1/2-inch vertical. Some history of shadowing No. 1 receivers, but not in Indy

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST