PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Former Patriot James Ihedigbo named Ravens starter over rookie Matt Elam

muslimman

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Baltimore Sun story

Although I havent been following the Ravens too closely this news was still a bit surprising for me. To be honest probably a happy a little surprise... As all of us here can attest, Im sure Ihedigbo wont be a big drop off from HoFer Ed Reed. ;)

While I share you enthusiasm regarding this subject, let's remember a few things:

1. This news has been known for awhile and is not much of a surprise. HC Harbaugh spoke of this last week sometime and said that Ihedigbo simply has a better knowledge and comfort level with the defense, so starting 1st round rookie Elam at this point didn't make much sense. He's still learning, just as many rookies do.

2. They're blending 1st rd pick Elam in slowly, giving him more responsibilities as the season progresses. We did the exact same thing many times in the past, Brandon Meriweather comes to mind. The obvious plan is for Elam to be starting sometime near the halfway mark, possibly even sooner. I really wouldn't read that much into it myself, but I can appreciate anything that allows us to make fun of the Ravens ;)

3. We started James Ihedigbo here for awhile, so it's hard for me to make fun of another team doing it when our team did the same exact thing.

While I share you enthusiasm regarding this subject, let's remember a few things:

1. This news has been known for awhile and is not much of a surprise. HC Harbaugh spoke of this last week sometime and said that Ihedigbo simply has a better knowledge and comfort level with the defense, so starting 1st round rookie Elam at this point didn't make much sense. He's still learning, just as many rookies do.

2. They're blending 1st rd pick Elam in slowly, giving him more responsibilities as the season progresses. We did the exact same thing many times in the past, Brandon Meriweather comes to mind. The obvious plan is for Elam to be starting sometime near the halfway mark, possibly even sooner. I really wouldn't read that much into it myself, but I can appreciate anything that allows us to make fun of the Ravens ;)

3. We started James Ihedigbo here for awhile, so it's hard for me to make fun of another team doing it when our team did the same exact thing.
4. Ihedigbo will get injured on Thursday putting his equipment on.

Fair points and I agree its not really a huge indicator of how the Ravens season will turnout, I just cant help but be giddy over more of our rivals perceived setbacks.

1. The Ravens, much like us, have/HAD a history of not starting rookies. In recent years that has changed for us and I like to compare this situation to our drafting of McCourty in 2010. Obviously not a perfect comparison but similar: late 1st round DB pick, fighting to start in an unestablished position, replacing a below average vet who knows the system (Shawn Springs?!) It made plenty of sense to start McCourty then.

2. Although a small victory, coming from a guy who really wanted us to draft Elam I take solace in the fact he isnt off to a good start. Going back to McCourty he started from week 1, made the Pro Bowl, and was in running for DROY. Take into account McCourty was a much bigger unknown and less hyped than Elam. Im sure he will be eased in and do fine but the way I see it if he cant start Week 1 hes not in the running for DROY.. yay me?

3. True we started him but what we can take from that is how bad the Ravens safety situation is. As Im sure everyone here remembers the safety position was cringe-worthy at the times Iggy started for us. So after getting a decade plus with a HoFer, I say screw the Ravens enjoy our pain!

I probably am looking too deep into this, not even saying Elam is bad but in summary cmon man you cant beat out James Ihedigbo?!

4. Ihedigbo will get injured on Thursday putting his equipment on.

Also just to throw this in I actually like Iggy as a player and person. He was nicked up a lot with us but constantly played through injuries. Not trying just dump on him as a player either... he is a great STer and 3-4th SS. Awful starter.

Music to my ears. Unfortunately, you can expect Peyton Manning to target whomever he is going to be covering when they spread 4 and 5 wide.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back