PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Floyd out of commission for 120 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Florio points out that the substance abuse policy language is a lot looser than NE fans (and Floyd) might hope...

Florio said:
Absent aggravating circumstances, discipline for a first offense will be a suspension without pay for two (2) regular or postseason games,” the policy states. “If the Commissioner finds that there were aggravating circumstances, including but not limited to felonious conduct, extreme intoxication (BAC of .15% or more), property damage or serious injury or death to the Player or a third party, and/or if the Player has had prior drug or alcohol-related misconduct, increased discipline may be imposed."

Michael Floyd’s DUI guilty plea could lead to enhanced suspension

* He also likely got the charges reduced by taking a guilty plea

Sounds like he did not manage to get out of the "extreme DUI" charge though. Which could be problematic. (See previous post.)

Patriot way? Willie Andrews and Brandon Spikes were dropped in a hot minute after their similar incidents. Doesn't seem to be a clear policy on this.

Anyways, hopefully he serves his punishment and installs Uber on his phone going forward.

The underlying incident took place before he was a member of the team, so your comparisons don't hold.

Agree with the statement that this seems fair to both sides. It seems that Floyd is actually owning up to his egregious behavior and hopefully setting himself up for success and a clean road ahead.

That being said, there is most definitely a difference in the way the Pats handle off-field incidents.

Dumbass-ery like this will be tolerated assuming it's a one-off and the player commits himself to becoming a better person and is 100% in on football. Chandler Jones is the exception here because of his contract situation (although reportedly wasn't 100% in on football, which makes sense given the timing of his drug episode).

Premeditated criminal behavior such as Hernandez, Spikes, Andrews etc are not tolerated.

Wishing Floyd the best of luck, regardless of whether we re-sign him.

When will the league rule on his punishment? That will tell us how many games he's available.

At the very least, he's out for the start of free agency which should bring his price down a bit more.

Thats about as good as could be expected. its one small but positive step in the right direction for him to recover and leaves time for him to get on the same page as TB. Considring he'll probably come cheap on a 1yr prove-it deal, I expect the Pats will give serious consideration to signing him. Youd think theyd also have the inside track.

I woiuld be interested to know just how the "home detentiion" works. Does he have to remain IN the house the whole time, or can he "go to work" with an ankle monitor. Can he travel to work to be in the OTA's of the team he signs with. So if anyone can come up with how it actually works, I'd appreciate it.

As far as the Ommissoner ks concerned, if he signs here, we can only expect the worse. IIRC his is his first offense and the correct penalty would be 2 games. Levian Bell is a two time loser and he got only 3, but then again he plays for one of the "favored few". Most likely Fraudger will give him the full 4 games. Two for the offense and two for playing for the same team that employs Matt Patricia. :rolleyes:

I was thinking along the same lines. Jail time will be in Az which he apparently has begun. He was living right at Foxboro from reports so I would assume he will claim that as his residence. Back when I painted houses a long time ago, one of the guys was on house arrest after jail, but he could paint during the day. I think this makes it extremely likely that the Patriots will sign him to a favorable 1 year deal with incentives that could put it up to 6 million if he is all pro and we make the SB.

With Floyd on a reasonable 1 year deal with most of the incentives in the not likely to be earned category, baring injury we have a strong, cheap receiver corp for next year. Been an Amendola supporter after the guts he showed his first year, but this could be the end of the line for him. Mitchell is quickly eclipsing him, is much cheaper and has a brighter future.

Wonder if they had already had some sort of talks with his agent regarding a new deal. Maybe Floyd can just OK a deal once he gets out (or even by phone from jail...) and then he can at least keep learning the playbook even while on house arrest.

Not a legal expert in any way especially Arizona law, but I think the intent of house arrest is to allow you to work during the day and do local business (banking, groceries) but not to be out at night and not to leave a geographical area. If his try out with the Patriots was encouraging it is in both parties interest to have him back next year.

Patriot way? Willie Andrews and Brandon Spikes were dropped in a hot minute after their similar incidents. Doesn't seem to be a clear policy on this.

Anyways, hopefully he serves his punishment and installs Uber on his phone going forward.

*ROFLMAO*
How does one equate a DUI where the person was passed out at a traffic light to either of the following:
- Possession of Marijuana With the intent to distribute, Operating an Unregistered Motor Vehicle, and Armed Assault

- DUI, Hit and Run, Operating a Vehicle Negligently, And Failure to stay in marked lanes..

Let's add Kenyatta Jones and Danny Baugher.
Jones threw a pot of boiling water on his roommate.
Danny Baugher was drunk and got in a fight with his dad.

You know what ALL 4 have in common? They involve other people.
Andrews - The assault on his GF
Spikes - Leaving his car in the road.
Jones - Violence against His roommate
Baugher- violence against his father

Seems like a pretty clear pattern to me..

He is obviously gifted with some skills that would be useful. His "never give up" TD was impressive.

I have to wonder, though, if another team decided to pick him up - what kind of comp pick would NE get ? If it's a 3/4/5th : I think getting a rookie is better than hoping for Floyd. While NE would be unlikely to get a player with comparable athletic skills, the recent successes of BB in those rounds, combined with the 4 year contract, would seem to be more valuable.

Either way, NE can both win with or without Floyd : so I don't think there is a huge downside to either keeping Floyd or letting him go.

The fact is that the Pats are never going to get close to a WR with Floyd's combination of size, speed and experience where they pick unless there are some serious injury or character concerns. So Floyd represents a great opportunity for them, especially given his current cirumstances.

I doubt now that ANYONE gives him more than a 1-2MM guanantee that could go up to $5MM in incentives, and most likely ends up in the 2-4MM range if he is moderately successful. That is the kind of deal he can look forward to. HOWEVER by signing here he gets the famous one year Patriots "do over" reputation rehab. He gets to play on a superbow contender. He gets to play with Tom Brady.

The ONLY possible negative in him signing back here, is whether he is willing to be just one of 5 WR's, and not THE guy. He will probably get the opportunity to be THE guy somewhere if that's what he wants.

Floyd yesterday pled guilty and immediately started serving his sentence. The total sentence is 120 days. The first 24 in jail and the remaining 96 in home detention.

So he'll be all done with that by mid-June.

(edited because 120 days is 4 months, not 3.)

I wonder how house arrest actually works. What are the rules, how do you get food? He is rich so he can have people help him but what if you were just a regular guy?

The fact is that the Pats are never going to get close to a WR with Floyd's combination of size, speed and experience where they pick unless there are some serious injury or character concerns. So Floyd represents a great opportunity for them, especially given his current cirumstances.

I doubt now that ANYONE gives him more than a 1-2MM guanantee that could go up to $5MM in incentives, and most likely ends up in the 2-4MM range if he is moderately successful. That is the kind of deal he can look forward to. HOWEVER by signing here he gets the famous one year Patriots "do over" reputation rehab. He gets to play on a superbow contender. He gets to play with Tom Brady.

The ONLY possible negative in him signing back here, is whether he is willing to be just one of 5 WR's, and not THE guy. He will probably get the opportunity to be THE guy somewhere if that's what he wants.

He will have to most likley rededicate himself because Arizona clearly didn't think he was the guy. There is some big quesiton marks with this guy. I have no doubt he is a beast if he wants but how good of a route runner and how committed will he be. Is he smart enough to pick up the system? What will this 120 day jail cell do to his mentality?

offer 2 mil guaranteed with incentives.

I woiuld be interested to know just how the "home detentiion" works. Does he have to remain IN the house the whole time, or can he "go to work" with an ankle monitor. Can he travel to work to be in the OTA's of the team he signs with. So if anyone can come up with how it actually works, I'd appreciate it.

As far as the Ommissoner ks concerned, if he signs here, we can only expect the worse. IIRC his is his first offense and the correct penalty would be 2 games. Levian Bell is a two time loser and he got only 3, but then again he plays for one of the "favored few". Most likely Fraudger will give him the full 4 games. Two for the offense and two for playing for the same team that employs Matt Patricia. :rolleyes:
I wonder how house arrest actually works. What are the rules, how do you get food? He is rich so he can have people help him but what if you were just a regular guy?

It would depend on the specifics set forth by the judge and prosecution. There is no all-encompassing rule and it can vary, case by case.

Its main purpose is to offer alternative housing from jail at the expense of the defendant. In many cases, certain hours are granted to attend work, church, once per week grocery shopping, and AA/NA meetings. It's not necessarily a given, though. I'm sure we'll know more about it in the coming weeks and months.

WtLFUDU.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents