PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Fletch Lives: Second Offseason Mock

Some interesting ideas. I do have my doubts about both spending all our free agent dollars and our top draft capital on defense.

If we do end up bringing back the Ryan/HT/harmon combo, I wouldn't be surprised if they go and get some skilled players earlier.

And as an FYI, with an extra first, our draft cost is a little over 7mil. Add in an extra 7-15mil for camp bodies and vet signings, plus the usual 10 mil for in-season signings/trades/extensions. Bill does a great job of evaporating our play money

I just look at the offense and don't see many glaring needs aside from TE (cause i think Bennett walks) and RB but I never worry much about that. They will find someone and White/Lewis/Foster I think will do well and be the main guys when it matters most. LB and FS will be a need as those 2 spots are wide open. I don't like Richards at this point to fill Harmon's shoes and they have no LB besides Hightower I care for.

The reason I had it set up this way is cause I am pretty confident this is Branch's and Long's last year. Those I both see as 1 yr deals to try to win 1 more before calling it a career. I think they use 2 have draft picks cause they want to use guys to replace them now. Also Campbell and Cook are not long term answers are both are 30 or a tad more. A lot of the guys I have them signing are short term quality gap stops.

The only position I think I am being greedy with is CB as I have them signing Ryan/Butler to multi year deals as well as they have Rowe for 2 more years but draft a CB too. Well yes that is Greedy but we have been lucky with CB health and we have no backup plan. Jones/Jones don't inspire confidence at this point to play at a high level and since they play 3 CBs nearly all game trying to have a 4th guy who can legit start isn't a bad idea.

Yes they could sign skill players in FA buy who? Bennett is the best TE and he will ask for something out of their range. Cook is one of the best TEs and I have them signing him. At WR I just don't see a need to upgrade or bring in another body.

Floyd is an option if they want and I would not mind Garcon or Bolden for short term deals but a lot of the guys that are out there worth a damn would be asking for more than Edelman which I am not a fan of. He should be the top paid guy for them.

On OL they could certain sign some people but this is a young unit which improved so much over last year I wouldn't mind taking another shot with it generally though I think adding a body in the draft and maybe 1 low price FA wouldn't be a bad idea.

If they decide to sign someone to help the OL give me Joe Berger on a 1 yr deal or Jahri Evans on a 1 yr deal. I don't think it is wise to pay an IOL big bucks for long term.

I just look at the offense and don't see many glaring needs aside from TE (cause i think Bennett walks) and RB but I never worry much about that. They will find someone and White/Lewis/Foster I think will do well and be the main guys when it matters most. LB and FS will be a need as those 2 spots are wide open. I don't like Richards at this point to fill Harmon's shoes and they have no LB besides Hightower I care for.

The reason I had it set up this way is cause I am pretty confident this is Branch's and Long's last year. Those I both see as 1 yr deals to try to win 1 more before calling it a career. I think they use 2 have draft picks cause they want to use guys to replace them now. Also Campbell and Cook are not long term answers are both are 30 or a tad more. A lot of the guys I have them signing are short term quality gap stops.

The only position I think I am being greedy with is CB as I have them signing Ryan/Butler to multi year deals as well as they have Rowe for 2 more years but draft a CB too. Well yes that is Greedy but we have been lucky with CB health and we have no backup plan. Jones/Jones don't inspire confidence at this point to play at a high level and since they play 3 CBs nearly all game trying to have a 4th guy who can legit start isn't a bad idea.

Yes they could sign skill players in FA buy who? Bennett is the best TE and he will ask for something out of their range. Cook is one of the best TEs and I have them signing him. At WR I just don't see a need to upgrade or bring in another body.

Floyd is an option if they want and I would not mind Garcon or Bolden for short term deals but a lot of the guys that are out there worth a damn would be asking for more than Edelman which I am not a fan of. He should be the top paid guy for them.

On OL they could certain sign some people but this is a young unit which improved so much over last year I wouldn't mind taking another shot with it generally though I think adding a body in the draft and maybe 1 low price FA wouldn't be a bad idea.

If they decide to sign someone to help the OL give me Joe Berger on a 1 yr deal or Jahri Evans on a 1 yr deal. I don't think it is wise to pay an IOL big bucks for long term.

I definitely get your logic. I agree on almost all of that, and really, there are no wrong answers.

Call me crazy, but I am coming around to the idea of Corey Davis if we end up with a top 15 pick. Every bit of draft logic says otherwise, but doesn't he seem like the perfect Pat receiver? Larry Fitzgerald-lite?

I still think they go Solomon Thomas or one of the safeties or possibly trade down further, but Davis is a monster and checks just about every box.

You can tell I've been in draft mode too long when you start talking yourself in to receivers in the first round for the Pats.

I definitely get your logic. I agree on almost all of that, and really, there are no wrong answers.

Call me crazy, but I am coming around to the idea of Corey Davis if we end up with a top 15 pick. Every bit of draft logic says otherwise, but doesn't he seem like the perfect Pat receiver? Larry Fitzgerald-lite?

I still think they go Solomon Thomas or one of the safeties or possibly trade down further, but Davis is a monster and checks just about every box.

You can tell I've been in draft mode too long when you start talking yourself in to receivers in the first round for the Pats.

It wouldn't make me pull my hair out. I think Corey Davis can be special. If they go that way and defense the rest of the way it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Corey Davis is far and away to me the clear pass catching player this draft and it is not close. If he falls (cause i think he goes top 6 all said and done or should) and the Pats get him at 12-16 I wouldn't hate it.

Also I look at him and I think Demaryius Thomas but he looks to have more toughness and hopefully unlike DT doesn't get shaky in the big moments :p

I'm warming to Zay Jones for the same reasons. He doesn't have the top end potential of Davis, but man is he sure handed. Would be a good long term replacement for Amendola, who is as clutch as they come.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back