PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's 'Scheme Busters' Article. Pats are the only team who have 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
Based on an 11-man panel of GM's, coaches, scouts, and players, the Pats are the only team with 2 unanimous scheme-busters (Moss and Brady).

This is the most interesting quote, and I think really helps explain Belichick's draft philosophy in the 1st round:

"A player's ability to impact a game depends on how close he is to the ball. "

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3056630

Last edited:
Re: ESPN's Scheme Busters Article. Pats have 2.

Actually here are another interesting quotes:

Scout: "You can't get past the impact on a game that Wilfork has. He is the heart of that defense. Take it from somebody whose team has to play this big lug ... He is scary good."

Richard Seymour, DE, Patriots
Player: "He is the best five-technique in the game when he's playing, a 3-4 D-end who can play over the nose."

Adalius Thomas, LB, Patriots
Scout: "He gives them versatility, but he's not a great rusher. He's a straight-line guy, a strider, not a young Junior Seau with bend. He gets cut and he's on the ground quite a bit. There's a lot of hype with this guy and I don't see it."

Last edited:
ESPN has a habit of running this kinda stuff like "who is now" etc..

means crap. Thomas is an example of playing team defense. If everyone is going to rush the passer and get sacks and makes interceptions all the time, who is going to take on the offensive line ?
Plus its easy to put "Scout" and give an opinion and when it says "coach" - how many intelligent coaches we have ? for e.g

. Santana Moss, WR, Redskins
Coach: "He can beat you after the catch."

WTF is that ?

11. Devin Hester, PR/KR, Bears
Coach: "Why do people kick to him? Kick that [football] out of bounds. I'd rather give up 10 yards in field position because the ball went out of bounds on a bad angle instead of him returning one for a touchdown."
nice way to build STeams. This coach wouldnt say this if Rex grossman wasnt the QB for the bears.

The stuff on Adalius Thomas is ridiculous and some of it is just straight up incorrect. They say AD rotates with Seau when it's Bruschi that's the one rotating with Junior.

The stuff on Adalius Thomas is ridiculous and some of it is just straight up incorrect. They say AD rotates with Seau when it's Bruschi that's the one rotating with Junior.

I agree, I think AD is an integral part of the defense. There is no coincidence that the D has been only letting up 12 points per game, even with Seymour and Harrison out.

I may not be a scout but I've seen the plays that Thomas makes and causes. There is hype with him . . . but I DO see it.

Richard Seymour, DE, Patriots
Player: "He is the best five-technique in the game when he's playing, a 3-4 D-end who can play over the nose."

This can't be right. Jarvis Green is comparable, possibly just as good - at least according to some on this site. We should TRADE Seymour! And our D is doing so well, let's not screw up the fragile chemistry by adding #93. He'll mess everything up!

Last edited:
2. Adalius Thomas, LB, Patriots
Scout: "He gives them versatility, but he's not a great rusher. He's a straight-line guy, a strider, not a young Junior Seau with bend. He gets cut and he's on the ground quite a bit. There's a lot of hype with this guy and I don't see it."

Really, I'd like to know who that scout was because he's way off when it comes to AD. Half of what he said isn't even accurate, and that's not talking about the noticable impact AD's had on NE's defense this year. Oh, and how many LB's who aren't "great rushers" record 20 sacks in two seasons?

When it comes to Wilfork I'm glad to see some people notice how good he is, and I really do believe he's starting to become the best (or close to it) NT in the NFL.

Now, I think Seymour would be higher on this list if he actually played any of the first give games this year. As that one player said "He is the best five-technique in the game when he's playing, a 3-4 D-end who can play over the nose."

On some other players:

Ray Lewis isn't the same LB anymore and he wasn't the best LB on that team last year. actually I think he was the third best LB on that squad last year. At this point Ray Ray is way overrated.

I think Reggie Wayne is harder to take out of the game than Harrison.

Wouldn't say Rashean Mathis is underrated as I'm always hearing people talk about him as one of the top CB's in the league.

I'm wondering why a few guys didn't make this list:

Bob Sanders (It's obvious even to the casual fan that when Sanders is playing their defense is a different animal.)

Asante Samuel (Even if us Patriots fans think the system is a large part of his success you can't deny his league leading 10 INT's last year and he's starting to get back into his groove this year.)

Brett Favre (I mean come on people, he should have at least been under the been there done that cat. Without Brett that team is seriously hurtin'.)

Ty Warren (He had what 94 tackles last season and won AFC defensive player on the month awards. I would have put him in the underrated cat.)

Dallas Clarke (He's ability as a receiver was among the main reasons NE lost that AFCCG. I'd of at least put him in the "be aware" cat.)

Casey Hampton (Am I missing something here?)

This can't be right. Jarvis Green is comparable, possibly just as good - at least according to some on this site. We should TRADE Seymour! And our D is doing so well, let's not screw up the fragile chemistry by adding #93. He'll mess everything up!

The posters who believe this are simply being moronic. Seymour has been one of the best D-linemen in the NFL throughout his career, and just the other week he turned 28. It's like because Seymour's had a few injuries people seem to forget how good he is when playing healthy...I haven't.

Also, while Green's been good in Seymour's absense He's not on Seymour's level as a complete DL. Seymour is better against the run, and gets double teamed a lot more than Green has. When Seymour's in he helps free up Wilfork and Warren since he's taking those double teams. This causes their stats to look better but coach and everyone else with a clue knows Seymour's effect on the field. BB doesn't just throw around big contracts and the contract he gave to Richard speaks volumes as to how important BB believes him to be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand