PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN thinks the Edelman rule would have applied to Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatllMoveTheChains!!!

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-xlixys-medical-rule-impacted-super-bowl-xlix

Ellenbogen insisted that no one play prompted the NFL to institute the new rule. But league officials made clear at a presentation about its health and safety procedures Wednesday that the Edelman hit was exactly the kind of scenario the medical timeout is designed to address.
CEl83Mf.gif

Last edited:
As an aside, does anybody think that Edelman didn't at least have a minor concussion after that hit? He got his bell rung pretty hard and was clearly woozy.

As an aside, does anybody think that Edelman didn't at least have a minor concussion after that hit? He got his bell rung pretty hard and was clearly woozy.

What is more impressive is that a tough guy like Chancellor got knocked out on that play, Minitron is a ****ing bad ass.

What is more impressive is that a tough guy like Chancellor got knocked out on that play, Minitron is a ****ing bad ass.

Chancellor didn't get knocked out but he was woozy too. I think that play is the greatest play of all time in the history of the Patriots, personally. See my sig.

I hope one day we get a Safety that Hits like Kam Chancellor the guy is fearsome back there.

He MUST have. But while were at it, lets call a helmet-to-helmet hit on Kam.
No kidding. I remember after the SD game where McCourty's TD return got called back due to Browner's penalty, we found that the rule states that if the official is unsure whether or not there was a blow to the head, a flag should be thrown.

But of course the NFL instructs its officials to call the SB much differently than all other games, so punter plant legs and receiver brains are fair game.

No kidding. I remember after the SD game where McCourty's TD return got called back due to Browner's penalty, we found that the rule states that if the official is unsure whether or not there was a blow to the head, a flag should be thrown.

But of course the NFL instructs its officials to call the SB much differently than all other games, so punter plant legs and receiver brains are fair game.
And yet they throw a flag for intentional grounding when a receiver runs the wrong route.

He MUST have. But while were at it, lets call a helmet-to-helmet hit on Kam.

Hah - -yes. Amazing how the league is so concerned about these hits and concussions and bears down on those delivering them.

Except when a Patriot is on the receiving end, and it somehow gets turned into an unfair competitive advantage to have a key player concussed.

If they had that rule the Seahawks wouldn't have even been in the Superbowl to make that hit... Idiots.:rolleyes:

I quit reading after "ESPN thinks" :p

I thought it was a shoulder-to-shoulder hit. Guess I have to watch a slo-mo video replay again.

Won a Super Bowl without one. Chancellor is easily the most overrated player on that defense. That type of player is a relic of history long gone.

If you're referring to this last Super Bowl, yes we didn't have a hard hitting safety, but we had a hard hitter in the CB position with Browner. Even with all his penalties, I feel more confident in our pass defense when there's 1 big enforcer roaming the secondary.

I wouldn't be surprised if he felt fine and had no concussion.

I used to play hockey and I was one of the smaller guys out there. I remember taking MASSIVE hits in the open ice all the time. I would always get up immediately & quite easily, to the shock of my teammates & coaches asking me "are you ok!?" when I got back to the bench.

Knowing how to absorb & brace yourself for a hit + falling properly is key.

Guys, let's be honest with ourselves. Edelman was concussed after that hit and he played like a warrior for the rest of the game. If the league doesn't want that sort of thing happening any more it's between them and the players union. I don't think this is an anti-patriots rule at all. There are plenty of other things to point to in that category.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back