PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: David Ortiz tested positive in 2003

Hmm, not overly surprised I guess, but that is a bummer. That will hurt the legacy.

Huge media storm incoming. This will be twice the size of the A Rod situation thanks to the World Series victories being in large part due to those two guys.

We all pretty much knew this was coming; the Ortiz tail off is now explained in full...........................

I feel sick to my stomach reading that. Its one thing to suspect, its another thing to be sure. Yech. Same way I felt when I found out about Rodney.

I feel sick to my stomach reading that. Its one thing to suspect, its another thing to be sure. Yech. Same way I felt when I found out about Rodney.

Agreed, same type of feeling as with Rodney. This will absolutely dominate the sports headlines for a few weeks... makes me very glad training camp is under way.

Rodney Harrison hurt me much more.

Although we all took our guys word for it, I don't think this surprises any of us, even supporters.

C'mon, is anyone in here REALLY surprised by this? As we continue to find out, the vast majority of players were on this stuff.. And how else to explain Papi's dramatic drop-off/injuries?? I'm going with the 'everyone else was doing it' theory.. I think everything has been said about this subject over the last few years.. I'm sure all the Sox haters (read: New Yorkers) will be piling on.. Unless MLB takes away the rings, I couldn't care less.. It wasn't illegal in 2003, so who cares..

Just a reminder.

9au2xg.jpg

Alex Rodriguez
Andy Pettitte
Bobby Estalella
Chuck Knoblauch
Dan Naulty
Darren Holmes
David Justice
Denny Neagle
Gary Sheffield
Glenallen Hill
Jason Giambi
Jason Grimsley
Jose Canseco
Kevin Brown
Mike Stanton
Randy Velarde
Ricky Bones
Roger Clemens
Ron Villone
Rondell White
Todd Williams

With the majority of those players being on the '96-'00 Yankees championship teams.

You're kidding right? I know you hate the Yanks but that list is a gross misstating of facts. The only guys on that list that actually contributed to 96-00 are Knoblauch, Pettitte, Clemens, Justice, and Stanton. Are you really serious mentioning guys like Ricky Bones and Todd Williams? Thats a reach.

I'm not at all surprised but I have the same problem with this story as I did when the information about A-Rod was made public. This information is supposed to be sealed by court order. Anybody who has seen it has no right to talk about it. And since they are talking about it anonymously - they could be disbarred if they did not - there's no way to know if this information is truthful or not (or if the reporter is just making this up, for that matter.)

The other problem I have with this is that the union agreed to do these tests under the explicit condition that the names of the players would not be made public, and that there would be no fines or suspensions against those that did test positive. The tests were to be used to conduct a study to figure out what percentage of players were using, and nothing more. To hold a player or team responsible now is ex post facto, declaring him guilty of something that was not illegal at that time; it's also using "evidence" that was agreed upon by both sides that would not be used against any of the players.

One last problem I have is the selective nature of making these names public. Why only Ortiz, Ramirez, Rodriguez and a handful of others when there were over 100 players that tested positive? If you are going to name names - which, as I stated above is absolutely the wrong thing to do - then either name them all or don't name any. I don't agree that the Times was right to reveal Rodriguez's name when they did, and I don't agree with their decision to run this column either.

I'm not at all surprised but I have the same problem with this story as I did when the information about A-Rod was made public. This information is supposed to be sealed by court order. Anybody who has seen it has no right to talk about it. And since they are talking about it anonymously - they could be disbarred if they did not - there's no way to know if this information is truthful or not (or if the reporter is just making this up, for that matter.)

The other problem I have with this is that the union agreed to do these tests under the explicit condition that the names of the players would not be made public, and that there would be no fines or suspensions against those that did test positive. The tests were to be used to conduct a study to figure out what percentage of players were using, and nothing more. To hold a player or team responsible now is ex post facto, declaring him guilty of something that was not illegal at that time; it's also using "evidence" that was agreed upon by both sides that would not be used against any of the players.

One last problem I have is the selective nature of making these names public. Why only Ortiz, Ramirez, Rodriguez and a handful of others when there were over 100 players that tested positive? If you are going to name names - which, as I stated above is absolutely the wrong thing to do - then either name them all or don't name any. I don't agree that the Times was right to reveal Rodriguez's name when they did, and I don't agree with their decision to run this column either.

I agree completely.

You're kidding right? I know you hate the Yanks but that list is a gross misstating of facts. The only guys on that list that actually contributed to 96-00 are Knoblauch, Pettitte, Clemens, Justice, and Stanton. Are you really serious mentioning guys like Ricky Bones and Todd Williams? Thats a reach.

:D @ saying "only" then listing five players.

Also Ricky Bones was on the '96 team.

Hmm, not overly surprised I guess, but that is a bummer. That will hurt the legacy.

It sounds like from Papi's post game statement that he was not informed he had tested positive and has not yet been informed regarding what substance was involved.

I suppose there could be some more "common" substances that fall under the PED list that result in a positive test though might not be full evidence of purposeful cheating.

That being said I have a tough time believing anyone on the "anonymous" list wasn't informed - especially after names began leaking out... which is part of what makes Papi's previous righteous statements that much more puzzling.

Regardless, this doesn't do much to tarnish the 2004 or 2007 Championships for me. The only teams that should be crying foul are the ones who can say without question that NO ONE on their team was taking Performance Enhancing Drugs.

Frankly I don't think there's one team in Major League Baseball that fits that bill.

Steroids and other PED's that require a doctor's order were added to Baseball's banned substance list at least as early as 1991. Obviously taking these drugs at the direction of a doctor is different. They were made illegal in the 80's. So make no mistake about it, this was against US law and Baseball's rules a long time ago. I have to wonder if the rat who's killing this game with 100 paper cuts can be punished since he's reporting illegal activity. I don't think there's such a thing as a non-disclosure contract that bans a person from reporting a crime.

Anyway Ortiz's comments leave me reeling. I was heartbroken when he struggled early this season, now I feel like a chump.

Mossed81, please serve me my helping of crow. :mad:

It sounds like from Papi's post game statement that he was not informed he had tested positive and has not yet been informed regarding what substance was involved.

I suppose there could be some more "common" substances that fall under the PED list that result in a positive test though might not be full evidence of purposeful cheating.

That being said I have a tough time believing anyone on the "anonymous" list wasn't informed - especially after names began leaking out... which is part of what makes Papi's previous righteous statements that much more puzzling.

Regardless, this doesn't do much to tarnish the 2004 or 2007 Championships for me. The only teams that should be crying foul are the ones who can say without question that NO ONE on their team was taking Performance Enhancing Drugs.

Frankly I don't think there's one team in Major League Baseball that fits that bill.

i think maybe the Pirates and royals can ***** about it...other than them, you are right.

i think maybe the Pirates and royals can ***** about it...other than them, you are right.

I don't know what proof they have of being clean aside from being bad.

There's going to be plenty of bad players on the "anonymous" list... likely some Pirates and Royals as well.

Last edited:
Just a reminder.

9au2xg.jpg

Alex Rodriguez
Andy Pettitte
Bobby Estalella
Chuck Knoblauch
Dan Naulty
Darren Holmes
David Justice
Denny Neagle
Gary Sheffield
Glenallen Hill
Jason Giambi
Jason Grimsley
Jose Canseco
Kevin Brown
Mike Stanton
Randy Velarde
Ricky Bones
Roger Clemens
Ron Villone
Rondell White
Todd Williams

With the majority of those players being on the '96-'00 Yankees championship teams.

Great friggin post man.......stank fans better not chirp too loudly......f'kin hypercrites!

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back