PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eric McHugh on injury stati for Maroney, et al

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2006/09/05/sports/sports04.txt

By the way, McHugh (Patriot Ledger) is a vastly underrated reporter. He's been doing solid work for years now, and I think of him as the poor man's Reiss. Now that Curran's gone, I hope we'll pay more attention to this guy, and this paper, because so far Projo's coverage is lacking without TC. They don't even have a Patriots article today. Back to the point - put McHugh up there with Reiss and Tomase (and Marente) as guys who dig and unearth some good scoops.

patsox23 said:
http://ledger.southofboston.com/articles/2006/09/05/sports/sports04.txt

By the way, McHugh (Patriot Ledger) is a vastly underrated reporter. He's been doing solid work for years now, and I think of him as the poor man's Reiss. Now that Curran's gone, I hope we'll pay more attention to this guy, and this paper, because so far Projo's coverage is lacking without TC. They don't even have a Patriots article today. Back to the point - put McHugh up there with Reiss and Tomase (and Marente) as guys who dig and unearth some good scoops.

Thanks Pats as I've been having difficulty finding a good source of local coverage.

patsox23 said:
By the way, McHugh (Patriot Ledger) is a vastly underrated reporter. He's been doing solid work for years now, and I think of him as the poor man's Reiss.

Except when he writes such tripe as:
Patriots | Branch could end impasse by firing Chayut
Thu, 31 Aug 2006 12:46:07 -0700

Eric McHugh, of The Patriot Ledger, reports New England Patriots WR Deion Branch could end his holdout with the team by firing his agent, Jason Chayut. With Branch's one-week window to find a trade partner closing, Branch could see that he is unlikely to get his contract demands reached by other teams. The Patriots, who gave Branch permission to seek a trade, might have driven a wedge between Chayut and Branch if the player and his agent learn there were no suitors willing to pay Branch. If Branch believes Chayut misread the market for him, he could return to the team and split with his agent.​

Ummm. . . . right. . . .

Sundayjack said:

Ummm. . . . right. . . .

Hindsight being 20/20, his analysis was personal conjecture and was as good as any scenario at the time.

Slagathor said:
Hindsight being 20/20, his analysis was personal conjecture and was as good as any scenario at the time.

I agree. That would have been a great solution actually.

Slagathor said:
True enough. But it's news-lite. I've read harder-hitting stuff on most message board.

I know this will make me sound like a jackass, but I believe the plural of "status" in Latin is still "status" not "stati". Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

PonyExpress said:
I know this will make me sound like a jackass, but I believe the plural of "status" in Latin is still "status" not "stati". Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

It's not. It's stati.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonyExpress

It's not. It's stati.

Slow Morning.

since you are using an english word (even though it is derived from latin), in an english sentence, you should use the english plural, "statuses"

Sundayjack said:

Ummm. . . . right. . . .

He was assuming Branch wasn't dumb as a rock.

You're saying sticking with this agent is the smart move?

patsox23 said:
It's not. It's stati.
Status, us: a fourth declension noun whose plural nominative and accusative forms are "status" (long u). There isn't even an "i" form except as an abbreviation for the genetive.

-us, -i, -o, -um, -o

-i, -orum, -is, -os, -is

That's second declension. "Status" is a fourth declension noun: us, us, ui, um, u// us, uum, ibus, us, ibus.:)

PonyExpress said:
That's second declension. "Status" is a fourth declension noun: us, us, ui, um, u// us, uum, ibus, us, ibus.:)

Does this mean our Latin players won't play on Sunday due to injury??

Que mal!

PonyExpress said:

Huh. Interesting. Thanks for the lesson, pony. I haven't taken Latin since 9th grade.

Back to the topic - Eric McHugh does a good job and this is an interesting article.

This thread should stand as a model for all the Latin grammar discussions on this board. Good, respecful debate with a lot of useful concrete information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back