Eric Mangini's Mentor not Shocked at Sudden Rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/02-01-2006/sports/story/387479p-328821c.html

Mentor not shocked by Eric's sudden rise

DETROIT - The man who discovered new Jets coach Eric Mangini is at the Super Bowl. His name is Kevin Spencer, a Queens product, and he coaches the Steelers' special teams.

Spencer, the former coach at Wesleyan, recruited Mangini and coached him for three years at the Middletown, Conn., school. He also got Mangini his first job in the NFL, a low-level position with the Browns in 1995. At the time, Spencer was working in Cleveland and the coach was Bill Belichick. "He collected socks and jocks," Spencer said, describing Mangini's job as an equipment boy. "Good Lord, it's still hard for me to believe he's a head coach," Spencer added. "Not that he's not capable, it's just that I still look at him as a kid."

Spencer said he's not surprised Mangini, 35, the youngest NFL head coach, got his shot so quickly. "You knew it was a matter of time," he said. "He just had to find the right opportunity. He's very bright and a tough, competitive person. I always used to tease him. I said, 'Some day, I'm going to come to you and you're going to be able to hire me.' You knew a kid like that was going to rise, and he did."

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News