PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Edelman: punt returns versus kickoff returns

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicowalker

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
One thing I've been wondering about in recent weeks is why Edelman seems to be a very good and explosive punt returner, but not a very good kickoff returner.

He seems to be very elusive on punt returns -- why doesn't that translate to kickoffs? I understand that he's running faster at the point where kickoff coverage meets him, but if he's unable to shift when running faster, would that argue for not returning kickoffs at top speed?

(btw, if you disagree with the premise of the question, feel free to chime in on that, too)

One thing I've been wondering about in recent weeks is why Edelman seems to be a very good and explosive punt returner, but not a very good kickoff returner.

He seems to be very elusive on punt returns -- why doesn't that translate to kickoffs? I understand that he's running faster at the point where kickoff coverage meets him, but if he's unable to shift when running faster, would that argue for not returning kickoffs at top speed?

(btw, if you disagree with the premise of the question, feel free to chime in on that, too)

Maybe his main strength (ability to quickly change direction) is better suited to punt returns where he is catching the ball with coverage guys bearing down on him. In that situation, he has to make short, quick moves as opposed to (as you say) trying to deke them out after already picking up a full head of steam.

Maybe his main strength (ability to quickly change direction) is better suited to punt returns where he is catching the ball with coverage guys bearing down on him. In that situation, he has to make short, quick moves as opposed to (as you say) trying to deke them out after already picking up a full head of steam.

I think that may be right --but would that mean he could wind up being better on kickoffs if he slowed down, as unconventional as that may be?

(Granted, even if that were the case, there's then a risk / reward issue -- getting the "given" yards from running top speed versus the potential for breaking longer runs.)

It seems on kickoffs there is a hesitation about whether to run it out or not. Last week on one kickoff into the endzone Slater was telling him to take a knee, and he hesitated then ran it out (and didn't get to the 20). I don't know about anyone else, but every time Edelman has the ball, on either a kickoff or punt return, my heart is in my mouth that he is going to fumble. He holds the ball out too far and is constantly moving his hips all over the place (admittedly to avoid oncoming defenders), making it likely (at least in my imagination) that he will knock the ball out of his own hands. I've probably just jinxed him by putting this on "paper." (no jinx, no jinx, no jinx!). Sorry Julian.

That's the standard wisdom on PRs vs KRs. Punt returning is about vision and elusiveness, kick returning is more about picking your lane FAST then running straight ahead FAST.

Consider that Wes Welker has been a regular PR but not KR for the Pats, and that a guy like Joe McKnight with terrific speed but no obvious knack for the game of football can be a strong KR.

2 different types of kicks.

Punt is like a sand wedge (or insert w/e lofty IRON here) just stick w/ the sand wedge simile plz...

and if you compare kickoffs you switch to a 3 wood

Different rotation, force and hang time. They are 2 different aspects that are unfair to compare. It is by no means unusual to see the return discrepancy between a Punt and a Kickoff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft