PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

East-West Shrine Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
He may be catching everything but Whalen has T-Rex arms at 29.5 inches.

Then I guess instead of GRONKosaurus, maybe we should call him GRONKodactyl. . . . GRONK's arm length is 34 1/4". :eek:

As long as we're mentioning "guys to watch"......... Alex Green, RB, Hawaii.......on the West squad......... 6'0"/230, projected 40 in the 4.55-4.60 range (depending on the source) ......... 1200 yds/18 TDs on 146 attempts, plus 363 yds/1TD on 27 receptions.

Currently projected as a UDFA.

BTW - only a handful of the players at this year's game are currently projected to go earlier than about round 4/5 (most sources) and most are projected UDFA.

Green started off by putting the ball on the ground on his first carry.. He didn't protect it very well..

Green started off by putting the ball on the ground on his first carry.. He didn't protect it very well..

Good strip by an East D-lineman - who they never clearly identified since it was apparently more important to let Mayock drone on about the QB's potential in the draft. But I agree thT Green losing the handle didn't help his draft stock at all.

Godawful broadcast though. Barely a mention of any of the O-linemen or DBs. Really, they ought to rename it "The Mayock Show".

O'Donnell is extremely raw. His footwork needs a lot of work. He can't handle speed rushers on either side.

Alex Green was mediocre running the ball, but seemed to be able to catch well out of the backfield.

Delone Carter was the best RB on the field followed by Vai Taua.

Ryan Whalen showed he had short arms.. had they been a few inches longer, the game would have been different.

Because of the fact that 4 of the QBs liked to do things with their legs, the WRs were hardly showcased at all.

Winterswyk had a good game. As did Trattou. In fact, I felt that Trattou had one of the best games of anyone and might get a nod for the Senior Bowl as an OLB or DE.

TEs Kyle Adams and Charles Gantt were solid blocking, sealing off the edges on sweeps.

TE Julius Thomas played extremely well and reminded me of David Thomas.

David Arkin was the only OG that impressed me during the game.

Shiloh Keo was pretty impressive on special teams.

marvin austin's playing? does that mean Quinn can play also?

TEs Kyle Adams and Charles Gantt were solid blocking, sealing off the edges on sweeps.

Shiloh Keo was pretty impressive on special teams.

One of the worst East - West shrine games I have ever seen. QB play was horrible. OL wasn't very good by the West team

Two players that impressed me were RT Rackley and SS Keo. Rackley (Lehigh) proved he could play above the FCS level. At 6'4" he is a little short for OT and is projected at OG. BB likes to draft OTs and move them to OG.

Keo was the emotional leader and played on all teams (KO,P,PR). He is big at 224 and his 40 time is slow (4.62) but he plays a lot faster. he is a team leader and was a team Captain for Idaho.

One of the worst East - West shrine games I have ever seen. QB play was horrible. OL wasn't very good by the West team

Two players that impressed me were RT Rackley and SS Keo. Rackley (Lehigh) proved he could play above the FCS level. At 6'4" he is a little short for OT and is projected at OG. BB likes to draft OTs and move them to OG.

Keo was the emotional leader and played on all teams (KO,P,PR). He is big at 224 and his 40 time is slow (4.62) but he plays a lot faster. he is a team leader and was a team Captain for Idaho.

I don't think that 4.62 is slow for a safety.. The fact that he does KOs and PRs says, to me anyways, that he's got really good vision and really good agility and quickness.

I do agree that it was a pretty bad game and agree with your assessment of the QBs.

I agree, poor performances by most of the offensive linemen. Arkin looked fantastic. He wasn't on my radar at all before the game. Now I really have to look into him. Of all the players, I think he raised his stock the most in that game.

One of the worst East - West shrine games I have ever seen. QB play was horrible. OL wasn't very good by the West team.

I was highly disappointed with the QBs too. I thought Enderle looked decent, but that's about it. Devlin was the guy I really wanted to see. He was awful. I had been thinking he could be a potential mid round draft pick for us, but he looked lost out there.

Players who impressed me:

QB Nathan Enderle
RB Delone Carter
TE Kyle Adams
OT Jah Reid
G David Arkin
DE Justin Trattou
DT Marvin Austin
SS Shiloh Keo

Players who disappointed me:

QB Pat Devlin
RB Alex Green
WR Ryan Whalen

Many others looked bad, but those are the ones I downgraded after that performance.

Speaking of Trattou. Uh oh. He's also a Florida Gator! Didn't we just draft 2 kids out of Florida this past draft? If he's really 6'4, 255 he's also got the physical attributes that BB looks for assuming the kid can convert from DE to OLB.
Justin Trattou - College Football

How did DE David Carter do?

Last edited:

Was a terrible game. The talent level last year seemed higher and better balanced between the teams. West team this year seemed completely overmatched, even based on practice reports.

For me, insights into how most guys were actually playing - especially interior O-line and secondary - were few, thanks to the usual awful camera work and the non-coverage by the booth guys. I'd love to see a replay that I can rewind.

Speaking of Trattou. Uh oh. He's also a Florida Gator! Didn't we just draft 2 kids out of Florida this past draft? If he's really 6'4, 255 he's also got the physical attributes that BB looks for assuming the kid can convert from DE to OLB.
Justin Trattou - College Football

How did DE David Carter do?

They supposedly did height/weight for the Shrine game and those numbers were confirmed.. We'll know for sure at the Combine.

Carter was nondescript. The most camera time he got was when the sideline reporter was interviewing him and Chris Carter about them being brothers and playing together.

They supposedly did height/weight for the Shrine game and those numbers were confirmed.. We'll know for sure at the Combine.

Carter was nondescript. The most camera time he got was when the sideline reporter was interviewing him and Chris Carter about them being brothers and playing together.

The end of that interview was telling. The West offense turned the ball over again (on a play that the audience was barely shown) and both the Carters needed to get back on the field immediately. Undeterred, the interviewer blithely pressed on. Shows how seriously the NFLN takes their coverage of the game itself.

David Carter did get a passing mention by the guys in the booth on one play, but it was difficult to tell from the camera work what, if anything special, the East O-line was doing to stop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News