PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dre Bly signs extension

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's great. You can't say enough about the guy. He will help Denver have the best CB tandom in football for years to come.

Bly (who turns 30 in May) is the very definition of a steady, journeyman CB. There's absolutely nothing special about him and he has no real upside. What you've seen from him over the last 9 years is likely what you'll get next season.

Had Darrent Williams not been murdered, then I would agree that Denver had the most formidable CB tandem in the league. Williams was already quite good, and hadn't hit his ceiling. As it is, it's Champ on one side and a higher end JAG on the other.

I thought Denver gave up too much to get Bly in the trade with Detroit, and I think they overpaid to extend him. Regardless, they're no where near as good at the position as they were a year ago.

Last edited:
I guess he will stay in Denver now and that puts to rest his wanting to be with the Redskins (yeah right) Its all about the Benjamins baby.

I think Dre Bly will do better in this new system because he will line up against the opposing team's #2 wide out instead of their prime target,as he did in DET. So in addition to guarding a less talented receiver, I believe, generally speaking, the safety is more likely to cheat on pass coverage towards the #2 CBs side since they have so much confidence in Champ. If this is the case, it really helps Bly out. Finally, fast good receivers are always slightly slower when they leave the fast-trak, which is the case in Detroit - so possibily some consider this a defensive advantage in general.

Had Darrent Williams not been murdered, then I would agree that Denver had the most formidable CB tandem in the league. Williams was already quite good, and hadn't hit his ceiling. As it is, it's Champ on one side and a higher end JAG on the other.

I thought Denver gave up too much to get Bly in the trade with Detroit, and I think they overpaid to extend him. Regardless, they're no where near as good at the position as they were a year ago.
That's what I don't get, everyone (not just here) talks about this as a massive upgrade - well it's a massive upgrade from the day before they got Bly because they'd already lost Williams but this isn't an upgrade from the last time the Broncos took the field when they lost to SF.

Until the Pats can beat this team, I will give them nothing but respect.

Dre Bly would have easily covered our #2 receiver last season.

This season we shall see if the Pats and Donkees make the playoffs and face off again.

I'm not worried about Denver right now, no way. The only way we play them is if we both make the playoffs, and that doesn't even guarantee a match up. People, you're making a big deal about this when it does not effect the Patriots right now, and we won't know if it does for almost another year or so. The Broncos upgraded at TE and RB, and you can call the Bly for Williams switch a push, while the Pats have seriously upgraded at LB and WR and make a case that they remained stable at TE and lost a little at RB. The last two times the Pats have played the Donkeys, the Pats offense has been seriously one-dimensional, if the Pats make it far enough to have to play the Broncos, I think it will be safe to say that won't be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back