PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Draft Game: Defensive Draft Gems, Past and Present

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
In the past 2 drafts BB has added a ton of talent to the defense:

- Chandler Jones, Dont's Hightower, Alfonzo Dennard and (emerging) Jamie Collins are starters, and extremely solid (despite the moans and groans about Hightower and some of his growing pains). Jones is a Pro Bowl caliber player, and Collins looks like he is an emerging star.
- Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon and Michael Buchanan are solid. Even though BB opted to bring in Andre Carter for more experience, Buchanan still has a bright future as a situational pass rusher, and maybe more.

That's 7 players including 4 starters - almost 1/3 of the defensive roster. Tavon Wilson and Jake Bequette have been disappointments, but that's still a ton of talent and a huge upgrade in athleticism and playmaking capability.

Imagine adding another 3+ players on defense of similar caliber:

- One of Trent Murphy, Ra'Shede Hageman or Stephon Tuitt
- Someone like Kyle Van Noy, Lamarcus Joyner or Kyle Fuller
- A late round pick or two like DeAndre Coleman, Zach Kerr Ronald Powell or Jonathan Dowling

Here's a game:

- Pick 1 day 1/2 defensive player and 2 day 3 defensive players that you would add to the defense to upgrade it to an "elite" squad.
- As an option, pick an additional day 2 prospect that we could draft if we traded Ryan Mallett.

Who would you pick?

My picks:

- Round 1: Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford (NFL DraftScout #34)
- Round 5-6: DeAndre Coleman, DT, Cal (NFL DraftScout #220)
- Round 6: Jonathan Dowling, DB, Western Kentucky (NFL DraftScout #268)
- Optional day 2 pick: Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU (NFL DraftScout #39)

1. Kyle Fuller
2. Aaron Lynch
3. Caraun Reid

Day 2 Option - Aaron Donald

1. Shazier
2. Lynch
3. Urban
Optional. Pryor

But its really a toss between Shazier and Van Noy for me.

Re-posting.

Just Marcus smith.

Because Marcus Smith + Jamie Collins = elite defense.

Re-posting.

Just Marcus smith.

Because Marcus Smith + Jamie Collins = elite defense.

I need to watch some more of Marcus Smith.

How does he compare with Kyle Van Noy? And does he have much in terms of instincts right now, or is it mostly athleticism?

I need to watch some more of Marcus Smith.

How does he compare with Kyle Van Noy? And does he have much in terms of instincts right now, or is it mostly athleticism?

He's bigger and much more explosive but lacks van Noy's instincts and smoothness. His instincts aren't bad however but Van Noy's are elite. It pains me to say this but I like Smith better. He could dominate like Collins with that explosion.

Ra'shede hageman
round 2 kyle van noy/marcus smith
round 5-6 ronald powell
and dowling

Round 1/2: Stephon Tuitt, DT-Scheme versatility and upside is there if healthy.

Later rounds: Vinnie Sunseri, SS-Boom or bust the later you go. I'll give this guy a chance to replace what we've been missing at SS.

Latter rounds: Chidera Uzo-Diribe, DE-What's not to like? His nickname will be Chimera.

Mallet pick: Anthony Johnson, DT-I'm all about potential in this draft. A DT rotation of Tuitt and Johnson could be something special!

We need higher quality replacements at DT with Wilfork getting older and no one else really standing out. Fix our lone (currently) positional hole in the secondary with Sunseri, and grab a DE and see if he sticks.

My picks:
Day 1: Louis Nix III, DT, ND, Round 1
Day 2: Trent Murphy, DE/OLB, Stanford, Round 1-2
Day 3: Dee Ford, OLB, Auburn, Round 2-4
Day 3: Max Bullough, ILB, MSU, Round 5-7
By the way, really like these draft games, keep 'em coming

1. Kyle Fuller
2. Aaron Lynch
3. Caraun Reid

Day 2 Option - Aaron Donald

Don't do this to me:D

I like to wait for the combine usually before making definitive statements about explosiveness, but Marcus Smith has a snake-like get off at the snap. Obviously a guy who's going to jump 38 inches or something.

Don't do this to me:D

I like to wait for the combine usually before making definitive statements about explosiveness, but Marcus Smith has a snake-like get off at the snap. Obviously a guy who's going to jump 38 inches or something.

If Marcus Smith blows away the Combine, makes a huge jump, and pushes Kyle Van Noy down, I can live with it.

As I examine this draft, I see 6 or so blue chip players but only about 15 to 20 red chip players. In the past when a draft is light on red chip players, BB has traditionally traded out of the first round. I expect him to do the same this year and I expect he will load up on offense this year as well.

On defense, I like the following:

Round #1 - DT Tuitt from Notre Dame
Round #3 - CB Hampton from SC
Round #6 - DT Stephens from U Conn

On offense, I like the following:

Round #1 - TE Amaro from Texas Tech
Round #3 - OT Mewhorst from OSU
Round #4 - TE Niklas from Notre Dame

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes