PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dolphins' Jake Long might be headed to IR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Sellers

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
If the Fins shutout loss at home to the Bears was not bad enough, now it looks like Miami may be without Jake Long for the rest of the year.

Miami Dolphins might need to shut down left tackle Jake Long for the season - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Miami Dolphins Pro Bowl left tackle Jake Long had trouble blocking Pro Bowl defensive end Julius Peppers with one arm during Thursday night's 16-0 loss to the Chicago Bears.

Long couldn't punch with his left arm because of a dislocated shoulder he suffered against the Titans. As a result, Peppers went wide on him most of the game and recorded a season-high three sacks.

According to a team source, Long's performance was so troubling the Dolphins have debated shutting down the 2008 No. 1 pick for the season. Long will require surgery to fix his labrum, and it'll keep him from practicing and lifting weights for at least four months.

Another source says Long is insistent he can play at a high level, and wants to finish out the season. He'll likely be given an opportunity to prove he can do so in the Nov. 28 road game against Oakland, where the shoulder will have 10 days of rest between games.

However, another performance such as the Chicago game and Lydon Murtha will become the starting left tackle. Murtha replaced Long for a few snaps in the final quarter.

Apparently Long has some financial incentives to keep playing.

ASK MIKE: Is Jake Long risking his future by playing through injury? – Miami Dolphins – Sun-Sentinel

Keep in mind, there’s also a financial component that is tied to his earning a third straight Pro Bowl selection. The escalators that would kick in are worth several million dollars to him over a period of multiple seasons, and Long is a shoo-in for Honolulu (selection, at least) if he doesn’t hit injured reserve too soon.

Online balloting for the Pro Bowl continues through Dec. 20, and this year’s selections are scheduled to be announced Dec. 28. I would think if Jake played through Game 12 against the Browns (Dec. 5), he’d probably have piled up enough Pro Bowl votes to earn that seven-figure bonus. If the Dolphins are 6-6 or worse by then, I think it’s quite possible both the Dolphins and Long’s camp would agree on a compromise plan to shut him down for the year.

Can't say that I blame him. He's risking a torn labrum and his career blocking for a team that's totally inept on offense.

Their season is lost. I would sit the guy too to ensure a full recovery. Couple that with Marshall,Henne and Pennington and you can pretty much guarantee a 7-15 pick range where I would assume one of the 3 big QB's will be available.

I had a feeling Henne would be better this season since he did well at the end of last. Now they loose Long. Injury bug has no mercy on this team!

If Miami didn't have bad luck....

It wouldn't have any luck at all....:bricks:

One less AFC team for Pats to beat for a playoff spot...

and it's not like Pats are exactly healthy....

Breer and Tom E Curran really tanked on their Miami hype this season

Yeah, I'm done worrying about the Dolphins.

Will actually be rooting for them the next 3 straight weeks..

Raiders - Draft Pick
Browns - Because I hate Mangina
Jets - Obviously.

i tore my labrum in Feb 2008 and can't imagine how this dude is even contemplating to play through it. Not to take lightly a serious issue, but this kind of stuff reminds me why we should never be surprised when we see NFL guys who have prescription med addictions. I was popping 6-8 vikes a day just to sit at a freakin desk and take my arm out of the sling to type. Can't imagine whats it would be like to try and block Julius Peppers instead.

Why risk your career to play the rest of a season that is going nowhere?

I know he wants to play, but I'd rather take the rest of season off than play a few more games and ruin my career!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST