Welcome to PatsFans.com

Do we put too much stock in the combine? (Link to Reiss)

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JSn, Feb 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

So we all might get glimpses of the next big names in the NFL today. And we might not.

Here's a really good retrospective on Welker and the Combine...

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/02/combine_wes_wel.html

Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  2. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

PFT: IS THE COMBINE OVERBLOWN?

Yes it's true "certain teams" put too much into the combine when drafting and scouting players but I think it is a good way to weed out some players that are iffy.
  3. JSn

JSn Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0

Dude, you've soured a thread containing legitimate journalism with a link to Florio, a guy who uses google alerts to get the news and a motorcycle to style his hair. For shame, hehe.

But I wasn't implying that teams do (though maybe some do), but if we as fans do it. Especially those of us who don't follow college football. It's interesting that with Welker's production, he was still somehow ignored.

Also, I see the one-star bandit has struck again!
  4. PatsChamp88

PatsChamp88 Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 3 / -0

#75 Jersey

Hey I got this baby up to 3 stars :). Hey hey I'm a routine Reiss reader LOL poor Mr. Florio and yeah the average fan probably does put too much stock into the NFL combine but I think people are getting smarter each season. The combine can be a tough call because players can have bad days. EDIT also you will notice now that players that are projected high already skip out on the combine or parts of like Crabtree won't be running a 40 but its obvious this guy is a stud. EDIT2 Yeah it is very interesting that only certain players especially a guy like Welker who did so much as a senior are invited but teams who have players on their boards know who isn't there and definitely make note of that which can lead to some potential late round steals if they fly under the radar too.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2009
  5. xmarkd400x

xmarkd400x Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

For a casual fan, where else can you get a showing of top college prospects?

I'm personally not all up on my college football. I usually can't recall any of the names being drafted after about #5. I can't even list one name from this year's draft class from memory. But I could probably list a good chunk of the Pats roster.

The combine, from my perspective, is a good place for most of the best talent to go. Even if they only get it 60% correct, it's good enough for me because I don't want to do my own research.
  6. WhiskeyBreath

WhiskeyBreath Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Vernon Gholston. :D

Seriously though, I think it is. However, it is a good way for me to be introduced to next years NFL rookies because I don't watch a second of college football.
  7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +913 / 8 / -19

#87 Jersey

I don't think Belichick puts much stock in the combine ... except for that 3-cone time ... Belichick loves the 3-cone.
  8. stinkypete

stinkypete Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -1

#24 Jersey

Can I counter your argument - Jerrod Mayo

Mayo was expected to be a late 1st - early 2nd round pick, he ran a sick 40, climbed up the board to the point where he was expected to be a mid-round pick, except a certain team realized that he was a perfect fit for their system.

While the Combine overvalues players that are unproven or unproductive in college, it also separates the men from the boys when it comes to proven and experienced talent.
  9. SammyBlueCat

SammyBlueCat Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

The combine determines if a player can meet minimum physical standards.
    Perhaps sometimes the numbers generated there are used tie breakers if a team is torn between drafting two similar players.
  10. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

And that old Mike Mayock favorite: 'How did we miss him? Best go back and re-check his tape.'
  11. Synovia

Synovia Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Because for every player like Welker, who produced in college, was ignored, and produced in the NFL, there are dozens of players who produced in college, weren't ignored, and then busted.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.