PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Dillon to retire?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you corey!

Re: Dillon Salary Cap Impact

2. Since the Patriots were not likely to pick up the option bonus, I imagine that they were negotiating an extension that would have reduced his total compensation. I think that this announcement from Dillon means that the negotiations have failed. He may be serious about retiring, but the way he is going about this suggests to me that if he can find a team willing to pay him good money (say $4M), he is up for another year.

That's how I read it, too. Remember that months ago Dillon said that he wasn't willing to negotiate a paycut for next year. So he's going to be cut, and by talking publicly about retirement first it preserves some dignity...as long as he doesn't turn right around and look toward his next team.

Personally, I'm much happier seeing an athlete retire when he can still look forward to a long, healthy happy life ahead of him. I admit I was oone of the skeptics when Dillon was first signed, but I was delighted to be proved wrong. Corey, you've been awesome. Retire in pride.

Re: Dillon Salary Cap Impact

1. I believe that the $5,767,500 (amortized over three years) listed on Miguels site INCLUDES a $3M option bonus due in the immediate future. If true, the Patriots can (and should) release Dillon now. Our 2007 dead money for Dillon will be between $2.5M and $3M. (I'm not certain that the option bonus is exactly $3M, it may be slightly larger.)

2. Since the Patriots were not likely to pick up the option bonus, I imagine that they were negotiating an extension that would have reduced his total compensation. I think that this announcement from Dillon means that the negotiations have failed. He may be serious about retiring, but the way he is going about this suggests to me that if he can find a team willing to pay him good money (say $4M), he is up for another year.

There could be some accuracy to all this, it was a very weird strctured contract.
That would fit with Corey's quote that when he signed the extension in 2005, he thought of it as a two year deal. If so by announcing his intention now he can walk away and the team can save the $3M in real terms and also save money on this year's cap, so everyone is happy. Happy trails, Corey, and thanks for doing your part in winning SB 39 and the deep playoff run this year.

Except... I think we will miss Corey's contributions on the field. Sure, 800-something yards is not hard to replace, but he did average 4.2 ypc which is still pretty good, and he was very good when we got down near the goal line.

And to me, Maroney has yet to prove he can be an every down back. He was nicked up quite a bit in his rookie year.

The guy is an absolute warrior on the field, and it breaks my heart to see him go. But, I will be one pissed off person if the Jets have their hands in this. If he wants to play for the Bengals, and retire where he started, I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with the penguin pilfering our players.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

It looks like Maroney and Faulk will be getting a lot more carries now.

Confirmed on Boston.com also

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/02/22/patriots_dillon_to_call_it_quits/

Thanks for the 3 good years, and that great 2004 season leading us to our 3rd bowl.

I will always admire this guy and thank him for his great contributions for the past 3 years. He is a class act and one of the greatest RB's of all time IMHO (expecially in Cincy where he WAS the offense!) Thanks for everything Corey...you will be missed...especially at "clock killin'" time.....;(

the 1 thing that worries me most is the jets are doing the running back by commitee and kicked barlow out.With their cap room a RB giving them 800 yards in 200 carries and a good goal line runner for 4 million with be a awesome deal.....let washington and cederic run more but save the tough yards for dillion.

Im not ready to anniont the guy into canton, or let alone the Pats hall of fame.. He was the best back since Curtis Martin, and was a beast in the Colts game in the playoffs.. But to me he was just servicable , the last 2 yrs...

Andy - How do the Pats gain cap room? Dillon has 5.76 million in Signing bonus amortization remaining? His cap hit this year was supposed to be only 4.4 million. Did they change things regarding players retiring because the last I knew was that the entire remaining amount would still be brought forward. Hopefully Miguel can enlighten us on this.

I think according to Miguel, the Pats should gain about 1.6 mill.

I'm not sure how signing bonus works when you retire. Didn't Barry Sanders have to pay his back? Not sure the Pats would require that, but its an awful lot of money to take a hit on, especially if he is hinting at possibly playing elsewehre.

I think according to Miguel, the Pats should gain about 1.6 mill.

I'm not sure how signing bonus works when you retire. Didn't Barry Sanders have to pay his back? Not sure the Pats would require that, but its an awful lot of money to take a hit on, especially if he is hinting at possibly playing elsewehre.

So we gotta pay 4.4 - 1.6 mill just to release him? 2.8 mill seems like an awful lot to pay a guy who may or may not retire...

I went from respecting the guy to calling him a selfish a--hole, in the span of about five seconds:

http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=184571

“We were in discussions the last few days, and based on the roster and the offense, we felt there were better opportunities out there in the NFL,” said Feldman. “He felt like getting eight or 10 carries a game didn’t give him the opportunity to demonstrate the abilities he still has. He figures he has a year or two left where he can be a premier performer.”

The entire thing is bizarre considering he seemed content going out of games and oyu wouldn't see him for the 2nd and 3rd quarter and he'd make a cameo for the 4th. If he wanted more carries they could have certainly used him at the end of the AFC Championship game. It sounds like he has or someone is giving him a distrorted sense of reality and if he thinks he can do more he should prove it. Wouldn't that give him incentive enough?

It sounds like a paycut was in order and he didn't want any part of it. This could get ugly.

We'll miss you Corey......you will be remembered. I will always remember the 04 dolts game where Corey really earned the name "clock killin corey dillion":rocker:

It sounds like a paycut was in order and he didn't want any part of it. This could get ugly.
It depends on the contract. If Miguel's site is correct and we still owe $5.7M of signing bonus against the cap if he's released, then it would get ugly. However if it's a tiered bonus and, as someone said, $3M hasn't been paid yet then that's different.

I think I remember the Patriots have an option on a second bonus and if they don't pick it up, it guarantees some years of salary or something.

It depends on the contract. If Miguel's site is correct and we still owe $5.7M of signing bonus against the cap if he's released, then it would get ugly. However if it's a tiered bonus and, as someone said, $3M hasn't been paid yet then that's different.

I think I remember the Patriots have an option on a second bonus and if they don't pick it up, it guarantees some years of salary or something.

It sounds like a Lawyer Milloy scenario except Corey used retirement as an excuse first and now is changing his tune this morning.

What other reason would he want to leave the Patriots except because of a paycut?

Thanks Corey, you were a beast for us.

If he does retire, it appears very clear that we save his 2.5 Mil salary on the cap. Then the Patriots can negotiate a retirement settlement on the remaining bonus money.

I don't think wanting to leave the Pats would make him a selfish a-hole.

He's being Corey Dillon Version 1.0. Instead of "I'd rather be flipping burgers", it's "I'd rather star for a crappier team". I thought the baby had grown up. I thought wrong.

Thanks Corey, you were a beast for us.

If he does retire, it appears very clear that we save his 2.5 Mil salary on the cap. Then the Patriots can negotiate a retirement settlement on the remaining bonus money.

except he doesn't officially seem to want to retire.

Wow, the Herald story is really different from the Reiss piece...

If he wants to leave, is there any chance we could trade him? I'd hate to pay a guy to leave the team...especially when we could use his services and have the cap space for him.

Wow, the Herald story is really different from the Reiss piece...

If he wants to leave, is there any chance we could trade him? I'd hate to pay a guy to leave the team...especially when we could use his services and have the cap space for him.

I don't see anyone wanting to trade for him. The most you would get is a 5th or 6th and then the receiving team would have to pay his salary. I see the Pats forcing retirement or who knows he may get outright released if he refused the paycut.

I knew back when they signed him to a long extension it seemed a but much, but maybe they were forced to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back