PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Rivers ditch it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Did fantasy football injury geek Will Carroll really suggest that Rivers was cleared to return to the game, decided not to, and then lied about it to the press?

Wow!

If true (and I'm by no means claiming that it is), then Mr. Rivers probably doesn't have a lot of allies in the Charger locker room.

Did fantasy football injury geek Will Carroll really suggest that Rivers was cleared to return to the game, decided not to, and then lied about it to the press?

Wow!

If true (and I'm by no means claiming that it is), then Mr. Rivers probably doesn't have a lot of allies in the Charger locker room.

You probably didn't see the first Charger v Tennessee game when he played hurt, and you probably don't know much about his character and competitive nature. Our right guard Mike Goff, 10 year veteran, called him the toughest quarterback he's ever played with. So, no, he did not ditch it.

Wow!

Why would he be scared to come back in the game when he was playing stellar before he got injured? Clearly, he wasn't cleared to play by the doctors and so he stood on the sidelines.

You probably didn't see the first Charger v Tennessee game when he played hurt, and you probably don't know much about his character and competitive nature. Our right guard Mike Goff, 10 year veteran, called him the toughest quarterback he's ever played with. So, no, he did not ditch it.

I doubt you truly know much about it either...

He said himself he could have come back, but didn't think it was a good idea to disrupt Billy Volek mid series...

You were still down 3 at that time, your season was on the line, and Volek's first series had been a 3 and out...

You are correct that I do not know much about his character, but I've seen enough of him to think there is reason to question his maturity.

I only saw a quick clip of the post game interview with Rivers so I could be wrong on this. He said that he was feeling better later in the game, good enough to come back in, but it wasn't until late in the 4th when Volek was driving the team down the field (8 plays, 78 yards, 3-4 for Volek for 48 yards and resulting in a touchdown) and he didn't want to pull him off the field when the team was driving.

It would certainly help if someone had the interview, but he definitely said he was fine to come in later in the game.

No, no...he meant toughest as "most difficult"...J/K

Poor Mike Goff, though. You look at the QBs he's had to protect--Neil O'Donnell, Jeff Blake, Scott Mitchell, Akili Smith (!?), Jon Kitna, Gus Frerotte--and you realize he must be happy to have a decent, if immature, signal caller for once in his long career. And San Diego has had two (Brees is a good one, too).

No, no...he meant toughest as "most difficult"...J/K

Poor Mike Goff, though. You look at the QBs he's had to protect--Neil O'Donnell, Jeff Blake, Scott Mitchell, Akili Smith (!?), Jon Kitna, Gus Frerotte--and you realize he must be happy to have a decent, if immature, signal caller for once in his long career. And San Diego has had two (Brees is a good one, too).

Too true. I'm so happy for Goffer—he finally got his first two playoff victories.

Why would he be scared to come back in the game when he was playing stellar before he got injured? Clearly, he wasn't cleared to play by the doctors and so he stood on the sidelines.

In all honesty, I really hope that Rivers is playing this sunday.

Mike Goff must not have played with many tough QB's. :p

Last edited:

And Mike Goff is has so many QBs that he's played with.. Considering that he came from the hapless Bengals before joining the Chargers..

OH, I'd take Drew Brees in toughness over Phillip "Cry me a" Rivers. But, lets look at some of the other QBs. Doug Flutie. Very tough, small, QB. Rivers can only have wet dreams about accomplishing what Flutie did in his career. Other than that, the list of QBs that Goff has been around include Akili Smith, Jeff Blake, Jon Kitna, Neil O'Donnell, Cleo Lemon, Billy Volek, Paul Justin, Eric Kresser, Scott Covington, Scott Mitchell and Gus Frerotte. So, forgive me if I am NOT impressed when Mike Goff says that Rivers is the toughest QB he's played with. Its BS and, honestly, its Goff sticking up for his pansy teammate.

When Rivers came out of the locker room, LT came over to him. He asked Rivers a question and didn't like the answer Rivers gave according to his disgusted response.

I'm not a lip reader and I don't have any inside knowledge of what happened, but I think Rivers is being misinterpreted in press conference. By LT's response, I am sure that the trainer told Rivers he would not be able to continue the game under his current condition and probably reserved his participation to recovering and a possible overtime. LT didn't like the answer and couldn't like the answer after Volek went three and out.

Rivers said that he could come back in the game, but he didn't want to break continuity of Volek's last drive. When he said that "he could come back in the game", he might isn't necessarily referring to the trainers permission, but he might think he was healthy enough. Sometimes a player thinks he is healthier than he is and that might very be the case here.

Well I thought it was odd that Rivers was able to walk to the locker room and then run back onto the field but wasn't able to return to the game. Ditto for LT, the guy stood for the entire game and did a lot of walking, but couldn't come back in?

It all seemed strange.

He was cleared to come back in if necessary. The first drive by Volek failed, but Rivers was on the sideline being attended to. By the time they got the brace set up for him to play, or whatever equipment problem was fixed, Volek had already completed 2 first downs and was driving. They'd have to waste a timeout during a game winning drive, and mess up the flow of the game. Now that we know he strained his acl, it was the best decision of the day. I expect him to take the field Sunday looking like a Frankenstein. But at least he'll take the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes