PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Did Comartie's Pick hurt the Chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatsFaninAZ

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
So, not all turnovers are created equal.

On its face, Cromartie's pick on third down seemed huge, bucause it took 3 points off the board. But was it? What does that game look like if he just bats it down?

Patriots kick the field goal and are up by 5. Chargers get the ball back on a kick off. A good kick off return gets them up past the 30, but let's assume they end up around the 25 or so. They're down one score, not in the shadow their own end zone, and with 18 minute left.

Instead, they take over deep in their own territory. They make a first down, but even so end up having to punt from their 20, Pats get good field position, several minutes have run off the clock, the Chargers defense has to come right back out, and the Pats put together the game winning drive.

In some senses, kicking a field goal sometimes just bails your opponent out from a bad field position situation when it's losing. Chargers putting together a 96 yard drive at that point was unlikely.

If the pick had been on first down or something, it's a big deal. But on 3d down, I'm not sure that, at the end of the day, batting the ball down doesn't give your team a better chance to win in that circumstance. Hard to convince anyone of that, but I think it worked out that way.

Everyone is going to point to the red zone effeciency as the story of the game, and that's right. But the reality is that not all turnovers are created equal. (Just as another example, the Pats second pick of Rivers turned out to be a positive for the Chargers by giving them the ball back in good shape and a chance to close out the half with points and to leave no time left on the clock for us.) The Chargers turnovers stopped drives, to be sure. But otherwise, they weren't very expensive. The Asante pick, on the other hand, was the play of the game.

Now, if Cromartie just takes a knee in the end zone instead of attempting the dumbest play in football (the int return out of the middle of the end zone) it's a whole different can of cabbage.

Last edited:
It wasn't the pick, it was the ridiculous decision to run it out of the endzone.

On its face, Cromartie's pick on third down seemed huge, bucause it took 3 points off the board. But was it? What does that game look like if he just bats it down?

Patriots kick the field goal and are up by 5. Chargers get the ball back on a kick off. A good kick off return gets them up past the 30, but let's assume they end up around the 25 or so. They're down one score, not in the shadow their own end zone, and with 18 minute left.

Instead, they take over deep in their own territory. They make a first down, but even so end up having to punt from their 20, Pats get good field position, several minutes have run off the clock, the Chargers defense has to come right back out, and the Pats put together the game winning drive.

In some senses, kicking a field goal sometimes just bails your opponent out from a bad field position situation when it's losing. Chargers putting together a 96 yard drive at that point was unlikely.

If the pick had been on first down or something, it's a big deal. But on 3d down, I'm not sure that, at the end of the day, batting the ball down doesn't give your team a better chance to win in that circumstance. Hard to convince anyone of that, but I think it worked out that way.

Everyone is going to point to the red zone effeciency as the story of the game, and that's right. But the reality is that not all turnovers are created equal. (Just as another example, the Pats second pick of Rivers turned out to be a positive for the Chargers by giving them the ball back in good shape and a chance to close out the half with points and to leave no time left on the clock for us.) The Chargers turnovers stopped drives, to be sure. But otherwise, they weren't very expensive. The Asante pick, on the other hand, was the play of the game.

I thought Cromartie was foolish to run it out of the end zone.

It wasn't the pick, it was the ridiculous decision to run it out of the endzone.

If it was any other player I might agree but this is Cromartie we are talking about. For him that wasn't a ridiculous decision at all. A big play could have turned this close game and when you have chances to make a game changing play on the road you take it. Cromartie is one of the most dangerous players in the league with the ball in his hands in that type of situation. If you watched the game last week you also saw him make another big return for a touchdown that was called back on a bogus holding call. He has three touchdowns this season including an NFL record 109 yard return. It was a risk worth taking considering the player.

Last edited:
You would think that as a SD guy, I would have hated the decision. I have no regrets about it. We still got a first down after the pick so it wasn't like we were completely backed up. This guy is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. I would say it was a stupid move if it was any guy other than Cromartie. Our offense only picked up 1 first down. That's what hurt us, not the pick.

cant fault him. hes made that play before and why not try to make a play for your team? Its the offense's fault they didnt make something out of it.

You would think that as a SD guy, I would have hated the decision. I have no regrets about it. We still got a first down after the pick so it wasn't like we were completely backed up. This guy is a threat to score every time he touches the ball. I would say it was a stupid move if it was any guy other than Cromartie. Our offense only picked up 1 first down. That's what hurt us, not the pick.
FWIW, as BB would say, I'd have to watch the tape (specifically, the back of the end zone view). If he saw a clear running lane, then I agree it was a good gamble that just didn't pay off. But if he was just gambling that he could make something happen, then it was a bad gamble that really didn't pay off.

And BB would certainly agree that sometimes what looks like the right thing to do really isn't. So would Marlon McCree. :D

Now, if Cromartie just takes a knee in the end zone instead of attempting the dumbest play in football (the int return out of the middle of the end zone) it's a whole different can of cabbage.
yep, it was a great steal of a td but when he brought it out i thought to myself, man you better hope your ass takes it back for a pick 6 or that's a horrible decision lol

*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*

Last edited:
And BB would certainly agree that sometimes what looks like the right thing to do really isn't. So would Marlon McCree. :D

OUCH!!!!! haha, don't bring that up NOW!! No, in all seriousness, it didn't hurt us in the long run, so I don't have any problem with it. As for the McCree thing, it was 4th down in the 4th quarter with minutes left and we were winning, while this was just a guy trying to make a play for us. I don't think you could compare the two. But you're definately right that if he didn't see a lane, it was probably not a good idea.

*ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding* *ding*

On the nose, not a good decision at all. What won this game for that pats was there defense in the red zone, no team will ever beat this pats team by kicking fg's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST