PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Devin McCourty mulling retirement?

I thought it was a forgone conclusion that he was done.

there were a few links where in the news section of the site that said McCourty was not going to make a decision to play/retire for a while now...

not 100% sure i am on board with this... kinda would like to know prior to free agency starting to see if Free Safety should be a position that is addressed... there are a few good players that will be (potentially) available in free agency, but they will be gone by the end of day 1, 2 at the latest...
He said he’ll make a decision before free agency, but not much before free agency.

He said he’ll make a decision before free agency, but not much before free agency.
by the time free agency hits most of the free agent negotiations have already been completed behind the scenes.. with a wink wink nod nod deal done...

by the time free agency hits most of the free agent negotiations have already been completed behind the scenes.. with a wink wink nod nod deal done...
Maybe he's waiting to see if the Pats can get a proper replacement for him in free agency and if not, see how much Bill is begging him to come back.

Maybe he's waiting to see if the Pats can get a proper replacement for him in free agency and if not, see how much Bill is begging him to come back.
if thats the case, then he's already gone... you don't wait to see who your replacement is then make your decision...

He had a good run here but it is time to turn the page. I feel the same way with Slater too even though he is apparently coming back. The old guard needs to step aside so some younger leaders can emerge and start to push our way into the post dynasty era.

if thats the case, then he's already gone... you don't wait to see who your replacement is then make your decision...
True, but there are those retirees that Bill has on speed dial in case of injury.

His contract voided but still has a 2023 cap hit of $9.7 million! The Pats have paid him a whopping $92.5 million dollars over his career. He wasn't worth half of that! He has been a drain on the salary cap and the secondary for years. The last impact play I can remember was his TOL after the Julio Jones spectacular catch in SB 51. So that was six years ago!

If he plays again this year, you will have to roll that 9.7 mil into whatever you are going to pay him and add more void years to spread out the cap hit. Finally cut bait with him, get him off the payroll.

Hopefully he's gone.

He is unique in that he doesn't make plays. He usually has his back to th he ball and lets receivers catch it and then tackles them. So many times he'd have s pick if he could just turn around.

Just make your mind up one way or another , its not as if he did not know this day/time would occur.....sounds like a soap opera........and get off my lawn grrr

He had a good run here but it is time to turn the page. I feel the same way with Slater too even though he is apparently coming back. The old guard needs to step aside so some younger leaders can emerge and start to push our way into the post dynasty era.
If there were apparent replacements sure. But there really isn't in either case. It's not a case of McCourty leaving and a younger improvement coming in. It's a case of him leaving and we just lose whatever little he still did contribute. So I'm not sure him leaving is in our best interests at the moment. I'd rather him play out the contract this year and get safety somewhere to see if we can groom him for year. We don't have that now.

If there were apparent replacements sure. But there really isn't in either case. It's not a case of McCourty leaving and a younger improvement coming in. It's a case of him leaving and we just lose whatever little he still did contribute. So I'm not sure him leaving is in our best interests at the moment. I'd rather him play out the contract this year and get safety somewhere to see if we can groom him for year. We don't have that now.
I would rather re-sign Peppers and have him play there over McCourty at this point. Bring in Peppers on another short deal and see if Bledsoe can beat him out. If not I am sure we draft another safety this year and give him a chance to compete as a starter next year. I don't have anything against McCourty but it seems like his play has dropped off to the point where we don't get much from him on the field. He has been a locker room leader for years but it is time for the younger guys to start stepping into those team leader roles. Dugger, Bentley, and maybe Uche. Those guys need to start to fill the role of homegrown locker room leaders but they will never be able to if we keep bringing back the old guard.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back