PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Denver Run Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, I know they've faced good RB. But we have good RB.

@ St. Louis, Stephen Jackson was 22-121-5.5 vs. Denver
vs. KC, Larry Johnson was 27-126-4.7 vs. Denver

Working with a tiny sample size, Johnson's other game was at Cincy where he got 17-68-4.0 and Jackson's other game was 22-103-4.7.

So although they've faced good RB, both Jackson and Johnson did noticeably better vs. Denver than vs. their other opponent.

Meanwhile, Dillon and Maroney are averaging a nice 4.3 and 4.6 respectively. Admittedly again blase defenses.

Based on how Denver has defended the run, we should be able to average 4.5 YPC - let's do it and stick with it. Then throw off it.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:
Yes, I know they've faced good RB. But we have good RB.

@ St. Louis, Stephen Jackson was 22-121-5.5 vs. Denver
vs. KC, Larry Johnson was 27-126-4.7 vs. Denver

Working with a tiny sample size, Johnson's other game was at Cincy where he got 17-68-4.0 and Jackson's other game was 22-103-4.7.

So although they've faced good RB, both Jackson and Johnson did noticeably better vs. Denver than vs. their other opponent.

Meanwhile, Dillon and Maroney are averaging a nice 4.3 and 4.6 respectively. Admittedly again blase defenses.

Based on how Denver has defended the run, we should be able to average 4.5 YPC - let's do it and stick with it. Then throw off it.

Without letting your facts get in the way of a good opinion.... I don't recall St. Louis or KC putting up significant points on Denver. Denver historically has had a great run D and I can't think of anything that's changed that would change that. I think they're poor offensive game is their biggest concern. Luckily for them our DBs forgot how to tackle.

Any good team can stop our --- or anyone's --- running game if they want to. It's just hard to do so while also defending the passing game adequately. Denver can keep the lid on our running if they decide to. Normally, we would then proceed to score 27 by passing on them, but with this set of WRs at an early developmental stage in our system, Denver might stop our running and proceed to reasonably control our passing game too. Hope I'm all wet here....

Good post, I was wondering about their effectiveness. I think the lack of opposition scoring is a reflection on the other teams, especially KC with a conservative game plan and Huard at QB. Don't know what the Rams problem was but they must have moved the ball ok, they got about 6 FG's

jeffd said:
Without letting your facts get in the way of a good opinion.... I don't recall St. Louis or KC putting up significant points on Denver. Denver historically has had a great run D and I can't think of anything that's changed that would change that. I think they're poor offensive game is their biggest concern. Luckily for them our DBs forgot how to tackle.

and if their Offense struggles it means their Defense may tire in the 4thQ.

found this note on Rod Smith

-- Broncos WR Rod Smith took hard hits in the first and fourth quarters and was taken out of the game with a concussion. He didn't want to discuss his injury.

Depending on how bad ... he may not ... that would be a loss for Denver.

I think PAts will be able to run on them. I don't think they will run on PATs.
Denver will need it's passing game if they have a chance.

I would expect Plummer is still trying to get in sync with Walker like
Brady and his new WRs. Their Offense could struggle.

Their defense in pretty good. Lot of same players with experience. Their
secondary is pretty good. Bailey is probably looking at film right now
seeing how Brady had been struggling with his WRs and is Licking his lips. :)
If PATs have success running against Denver they should stick to it and
force Denver to come play tighter. Then let loose the deep weapon ....
Chad Jackson. :D

Last edited:
shakadave said:
Any good team can stop our --- or anyone's --- running game if they want to. It's just hard to do so while also defending the passing game adequately. Denver can keep the lid on our running if they decide to. Normally, we would then proceed to score 27 by passing on them, but with this set of WRs at an early developmental stage in our system, Denver might stop our running and proceed to reasonably control our passing game too. Hope I'm all wet here....

Shakadave,

That was a great analysis; its precisely the issue too.

But I think we win this week. Why?

1) The game is home at the Razor not at MileHigh.
2) The revenge factor from last season Divisional game. Pats want it more.
3) The fight for the HFA.
4) RAC's rejects on the DL are reverting to form.
5) Plummer is reverting to form from the pressure of the new QB
6) Javon Walker is only 12 or so months returned from his ACL.
7) Gibbs is now three years gone & it shows on the O-line.
8) The Denver LBs are very fast, but too small without D-Line protection.
9) The Pats passing game is a work in progress but (most importantly)
10) The receiving building blocks are there in Caldwell, CJ , Gabriel & Brown

Last edited:
shakadave said:

I don't think our WR are as important to opening the running game as our TE's. TE's keep the safeties and LB's honest. If a safety bites on a play action he won't catch up to Watson. I think Jackson will have an oportunity for a huge first half. I'd look for Denver to make our WR's beat them. Given how poorly Brady has thrown the ball for the past two weeks and the inexperience of our WR's and how effective our RB's and TE's have been I would expect the WR's to get their chances.

I was checking on the bronco run defense, and I liked what I saw.

They sold out on the run against kc because green was out, and they still gave up yards.

With our running game, we should be able to hold the advantage. A relentless pounding from Dillon and Maroney (with a little bit of Faulk) will leave them exhausted.

Our passing game will be adequate until everyone gets on the same page. Then the whole offense will be scary!

Denver has given up an average of 4.4ypc. We can take advantage of that.

And believe me, while it will be one of the toughest games we play this year, we will score some TDs! :rocker:

Gopats!!! said:
I was checking on the bronco run defense, and I liked what I saw.

They sold out on the run against kc because green was out, and they still gave up yards.

actually, the denver defense never once sold out on the run. they never loaded up on the line, the LBs were almost always four to five yards off the line.

I've watched both bronco games and their run defense is fine. They had Jackson contained for a large part of the game (at one point had stopped him for a loss or no gain on about seven consecutive carries), but tired as the game progressed.

Stopping Larry Johnson behind that interior line is almost impossible, but i was bewildered that the broncos did not put eight in the box.

I think we have a good enough run attack to be productive against them though, especially if C. Brown is still out. but the broncos have not given up a touchdown this year, so it will be a challenge. Also, as Al Michaels pointed out last night, the broncos started last season in almost identical fashion, before getting into gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call