PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defensive Player of the Year candidates?

NG Pats Fan

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
who is your vote?

Arizona’s Chandler Jones has to be in consideration...

Entering this week’s play, Jones leads the NFL in sacks (14), tackles for loss (24) and quarterback hits (27)

He’s playing like a super stud this year. Very physical at setting the edge, he has been great against the run this year. The usual December plunge Chandler seems to take hasn’t hit him yet. He has been dominant.

Any other recommendations?

Last edited:
I opened this thread thinking it would be a really cool discussion. Instead it's pining after a player who isn't even dominant enough to help his team make the playoffs. There's no question that Jones is pretty good. But we put his salary to use elsewhere, and we've gotten excellent returns (Mitchell was 100% instrumental to the Super Bowl victory; Thuney has been one of the best guards in the NFL, regardless of a poor performance in Miami where the entire team fell apart). This could have been an actual topic, instead of just a thread full of salt. ;)

NFL Playoff Picture - NFL.com

If you want a sexy passrusher, how about someone like Calias Campbell? He's had an enormous impact on the Jaguars, who are slated to make the playoffs for the first time in forever.

I opened this thread thinking it would be a really cool discussion. Instead it's pining after a player who isn't even dominant enough to help his team make the playoffs. There's no question that Jones is pretty good. But we put his salary to use elsewhere, and we've gotten excellent returns (Mitchell was 100% instrumental to the Super Bowl victory; Thuney has been one of the best guards in the NFL, regardless of a poor performance in Miami where the entire team fell apart). This could have been an actual topic, instead of just a thread full of salt. ;)

NFL Playoff Picture - NFL.com

If you want a sexy passrusher, how about someone like Calias Campbell? He's had an enormous impact on the Jaguars, who are slated to make the playoffs for the first time in forever.

I asked the question “whose your vote”. My opinion has nothing to do with your vote. Discuss any candidate you want. It can be a cool discussion, but you seemed to have turned this thread into something it’s not.

And make no mistake, a player who is leading the nfl in sacks, qb pressures and tackles for loss is absolutely a candinate for DPOY regardless of how bad his QB is which hurts his teams record. Jones is far more than a sexy pass rusher. He is fantastic against the run this year, he sets the edge completely.

Calais Campbell is a good choice

Last edited:
Aaron Donald hands down
(11 sacks as a DT/ 87 & counting QB Pressures!!!!!)

Calais Campbell
Bobby Wagner
Everson Griffen
Cam Jordan

All of these guys have their teams either in or on the cusp of a playoff berth & make MAJOR impacts on the field weekly.

Last edited:
Calais Campbell
Bobby Wagner
Everson Griffen

All of these guys have their teams either in or on the cusp of a playoff berth & make MAJOR impacts on the field weekly.

All three play on teams with a lot of talent which is why they are on a cusp of playoff berth. There are a few highly productive defenders out there who play on teams with no other impact players.

Chandler Jones could win the triple crown for a D Lineman. How many times has that been done?

Chandler Jones is a second tier player who collects mostly pointless stats but somehow never really changes games. He is the worst kind of player to have on the second contract. Production seems high enough to demand a big contract but rarely makes game changing plays. Since we are talking players that actually made an impact to their teams success I dont think he even qualifies to be discussed.

Bobby Wagner.

In the right defensive scheme a player who flounders in one situation can flourish in another.. see Vrabel, Ninkovich et al.

Jones did OK here, but seem to remember problems with "keeping the edge"..

I wonder how much that shirtless/synthetic marijuana incident with the police factored into Bill's decision to move on from Chandler. If that didn't happen, would he still be here today? Probably not, based on the amount of money top DEs get. But part of me wishes he was still here.

As for DPOY candidates, I'd have to go with Campbell. Both Jaguars corners deserve some mention, but Campbell has had an impressive season for one of the best defenses in the league.

Jones has the individual stats, but his team's defense is still not that dominant. Mack won last year with a similar argument and an even worse team defense but there weren't a lot of dominant seasons and the vote was extremely close (Mack beat out Miller by one vote).

So Jones is definitely deserving of being in the conversation, but I think Campbell will win it.

I wonder how much that shirtless/synthetic marijuana incident with the police factored into Bill's decision to move on from Chandler. If that didn't happen, would he still be here today? Probably not, based on the amount of money top DEs get. But part of me wishes he was still here.

As for DPOY candidates, I'd have to go with Campbell. Both Jaguars corners deserve some mention, but Campbell has had an impressive season for one of the best defenses in the league.

Jones has the individual stats, but his team's defense is still not that dominant. Mack won last year with a similar argument and an even worse team defense but there weren't a lot of dominant seasons and the vote was extremely close (Mack beat out Miller by one vote).

So Jones is definitely deserving of being in the conversation, but I think Campbell will win it.
Because of their position flexibility, I firmly believe Bill focused on High and Collins as more of a priority to retain than Jones.

Im sure the the pot episode didn't help but his future with the team had already been determined.

Got to go with either Chandler Jones, Jalen Ramsey, or Joey Bosa. All three are worthy.

All three play on teams with a lot of talent which is why they are on a cusp of playoff berth. There are a few highly productive defenders out there who play on teams with no other impact players.

Chandler Jones could win the triple crown for a D Lineman. How many times has that been done?
Ehh. These 3 players are the BEST players on their respective teams. Maybe Jalen Ramsey could be argued in regards to the Jags, but no; Chandler Jones...NAH. I could care less if he played here before.

I still like Chandler Jones, so I'm not gonna trash the guy like some are here.

Overall, I think he did well here and made some awesome plays. (Blocked kick in Minny, the INT vs. Denver.) Probably the best pure pass rusher we've had in the last decade.

But yes, I agree with the sentiments that he'd disappear down the stretch of the season, and that was definitely one big problem I had with him.

Overall he's a nice guy to have on your roster, but not a guy I'd unload the brinks truck to.

Where does DeMarcus Lawrence fall on the sack leading chart these days? I know that he was leading there for awhile.

The race may be pretty wide open with 3 games to play.

DeMarcus Lawrence from the Cowboys.

Has led the league in sacks this year for awhile. Now has 13.5 plus 4 forced fumbles. He’s been a beast all season. Seems to have recently lost the lead to Chandler Jones, who now has 14.0.

OBJ would get my vote. He's pretty defensive about things.

Here's another one I'd consider that might be surprising: Yannick Ngakoue.

He won't win, but the guy has 11 sacks with a whopping 6 FF.

Always a big proponent of FF's in a players stats.

To this day, I still think that Peanut Tillman should've won the award in 2012 for forcing 10 in one season. Holy moly. Not to mention he had 3 Defensive TD's as well.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back