PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Defense vs. Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brady6

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
The defense is obviously going to look different tomorrow in terms of who plays and where, this is what I am envisioning:

43 Base:

LDE – Rob Ninkovich
LDT – Chris Jones
RDT – Joe Vellano
RDE – Chandler Jones
SLB – Jamie Collins
MLB – Brandon Spikes
WLB – Dont’a Hightower
LCB – Alfonzo Dennard
RCB – Kyle Arrington
FS – Devon McCourty
SS – Steven Gregory

34 Base:

SOLB – Rob Ninkovich
LDE – Chris Jones
NT – Joe Vellano
RDE – Chandler Jones
WOLB – Jamie Collins
SILB – Brandon Spikes
WILB – Dont’a Hightower
LCB – Alfonzo Dennard
RCB – Kyle Arrington
FS – Devon McCourty
SS – Steven Gregory

Nickel:

LDE – Rob Ninkovich
LDT – Joe Vellano/Chris Jones
RDT – Chandler Jones
RDE – Michael Buchanan
SLB – Jamie Collins
WLB – Dont’a Hightower
LCB – Alfonzo Dennard
RCB – Devin McCourty
SCB – Kyle Arrington
FS – Duron Harmon
SS – Steven Gregory

Dime:

LDE – Rob Ninkovich
LDT – Joe Vellano/Chris Jones
RDT – Chandler Jones
RDE – Michael Buchanan
MLB – Dont’a Hightower
LCB – Alfonzo Dennard
RCB – Devin McCourty
SCB – Kyle Arrington
SCB – Logan Ryan
FS – Duron Harmon
SS – Steven Gregory

Re: Defense verse Jets

Your envisioning Kelly might play? Shouldn't your visions be more definitive? :)

Kelly's been ruled out since yesterday.

Do you mean defense versus Jets ?

This seems reasonable enough, other than expecting Kelley to be back. I have 2 questions.

1) Will Ryan really be sitting in the nickel defense? I think that I'd rather have Ryan on the field than Harmon.

2) Perhaps Fletcher still has no role in the defense; perhaps he will have some role.

Kelly's been ruled out since yesterday.

Thank you for the information I missed the report of Tommy Kelly being confirmed out, my OP has been edited to reflect the information you provided.

This seems reasonable enough, other than expecting Kelley to be back. I have 2 questions.

1) Will Ryan really be sitting in the nickel defense? I think that I'd rather have Ryan on the field than Harmon.

2) Perhaps Fletcher still has no role in the defense; perhaps he will have some role.

Its a tough call between Ryan and Harmon. If the Jets had outside receivers to speak of I might expect McCourty to take Talibs place, but leaving him at safety may make more sense this week.
I also think the expectation of how long Talib may be out might have an impact. The sooner he should be back the more likely they would be to just leave McCourty in his safety spot.

I think none of us know where the team stands on whether Collins or Fletcher is the next man up, and it is possible they split duties.

I missed the report on Kelly being ruled out, but I corrected my OP to reflect his absence.

Reasonable question, I based what I wrote in my OP on what I saw at the end of the Saints game. I personally have been more impressed with Logan Ryan than Duron Harmon but I am not sure if they’re comfortable with Ryan at the outside cornerback spot yet, I would actually prefer they go with what you’ve mentioned as dime set which would be:

LCB – Dennard
RCB – Ryan
SCB – Arrington
FS – McCourty
SS – Gregory

In the dime they could move bring in Harmon, move McCourty to RCB and slide Ryan inside to dime CB.

I think Fletcher will have a role as the 4th LB, I was actually thinking when I was writing my OP that Fletcher would fit better in the 34 at the WILB so I toyed with this projection for the linebackers:

SOLB – Ninkovich
SILB – Spikes
WILB – Fletcher
WOLB – Hightower

That said I think this is a great opportunity to let an extremely talented Jamie Collins see significant reps, and if he can put it together on the fly this is a player that has game changer potential, short of Von Miller there are not a lot of players who offer the physical talent that Jamie Collins brings to the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back