PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DE and LB - No Injuries Allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else remember beuharinis(sp?) wearing the dot during preseason? He didn't look all that bad in the one game I remember either...I think he is a dark horse in LB discussion (mind you I don't expect the kid to start) and may be part of the reason Fletcher left with so little discussion.

Belichick has been systematically upgrading this team this offseason and he's not done yet. Another rotational player for the DE's and LB, as well as interior OL and the 2nd TE are still to be addressed. Scott Crichton (DE), Ryan Shazier (LB), Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (TE), and Xavier Sua-Filo (OG) should all be on the board when they pick in the first, and while i would take Crichton out of that group i would be happy with any of them as all could step right in and help them next season.

The issue is that the #4 LB does indeed need to be able to start, as Collins did last year.

Yes, Beauharnais could be one of our two ST/LB's if he is good enough to play reps at linebacker and a top special teamer, as Fletcher was. Note that the #5 LB played lots of reps last year (Fletcher).

We also need a 4th LB, the first linebacker off the bench.

After all, we lost Fletcher AND Spikes.
======

LINEBACKERS (6)
-------------
starters (3) - Mayo, Collins, Hightower
backup (1) - ?????
ST and #2 backup (1) - ????? (could be Beauharnais)
STer and emergency backup (1) - White

THIS IS A MAJOR WEAKNESS
We are counting on

1) Collins as a starter
2) someone new to be the #4 LB (this is a lot to ask of a late round rookie)
2) Beauharnais as a backup and STer

CONCLUSION
We will add a couple of JAG linebackers from free agency, and could consider using a pick in the first 3 rounds on a linebacker or DE/OLB.

Anyone else remember beuharinis(sp?) wearing the dot during preseason? He didn't look all that bad in the one game I remember either...I think he is a dark horse in LB discussion (mind you I don't expect the kid to start) and may be part of the reason Fletcher left with so little discussion.

The issue is that the #4 LB does indeed need to be able to start, as Collins did last year.

Yes, Beauharnais could be one of our two ST/LB's if he is good enough to play reps at linebacker and a top special teamer, as Fletcher was. Note that the #5 LB played lots of reps last year (Fletcher).

We also need a 4th LB, the first linebacker off the bench.

After all, we lost Fletcher AND Spikes.
======

LINEBACKERS (6)
-------------
starters (3) - Mayo, Collins, Hightower
backup (1) - ?????
ST and #2 backup (1) - ????? (could be Beauharnais)
STer and emergency backup (1) - White

THIS IS A MAJOR WEAKNESS
We are counting on

1) Collins as a starter
2) someone new to be the #4 LB (this is a lot to ask of a late round rookie)
2) Beauharnais as a backup and STer

CONCLUSION
We will add a couple of JAG linebackers from free agency, and could consider using a pick in the first 3 rounds on a linebacker or DE/OLB.

Beauharnais was actually the #10 ranked ILB in the 2013 draft class. His measurable(s) were actually very good, even better than this year #1 ILB Mosely in some metrics. He was a solid player in college and Belichick felt it necessary to keep him on the 53-man roster to protect him so he must have seen something in him he liked.

I would also add Adrian Wilson into the mix at LB, specifically as a cover LB.

Collins was the most productive defensive front seven player we had during the 2013-14 playoffs so it is not a stretch to rely on him. I do agree we need to add a LB, but I think that happens in the draft.

Belichick has been systematically upgrading this team this offseason and he's not done yet. Another rotational player for the DE's and LB, as well as interior OL and the 2nd TE are still to be addressed. Scott Crichton (DE), Ryan Shazier (LB), Austin Sefarian-Jenkins (TE), and Xavier Sua-Filo (OG) should all be on the board when they pick in the first, and while i would take Crichton out of that group i would be happy with any of them as all could step right in and help them next season.

I would probably trade back into the mid to late 30s if you were going to draft Crichton, he should be available later than #29. I do like the pick of Crichton; Kareem Martin is also a very intriguing DE prospect.

I agree with you that Belichick is not done; he will draft at least 1 DE and 1 LB in my opinion. Rounds 3-4 offer many intriguing LBs with Telvin Smith, Christian Kirksey, and Jordan Tripp. I would also mention that with Armstead (hopefully healthy) Belichick could opt to use the 4-3 under more often and that would free Ninkovich up to play the SAM LB position.

I look at it like this they can rotate players at the following positions –

SOLB – Hightower, Collins, Ninkovich
MLB – Mayo, Hightower
WOLB – Mayo, Collins, Hightower
Coverage LBs – A Wilson, Browner, T Wilson
Depth LBs – Beauharnais, Davis, White (Davis has not been mentioned but he was on the 53-man roster to end the season)

Who needs pass rushers when we have this beast:

sack.gif

Yeah, let's draft a defensive end in a draft class that stinks for defensive ends aside from Jadeveon Clowney. Brilliant idea.

Just like drafting safety Tavon Wilson in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft. The 2012 NFL Draft was a lousy draft for safeties aside from Mark Barron and Harrison Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back