PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DBs Big and Tall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bostonian1962

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was looking at the Patriots schedule recently and couldn't help but notice the height opposing teams have at WR.

A few cases in point:

Miami's Brandon Marshall 6'-4" and Hartline 6'-2"
Jets add Burress @ 6'5"
Bills Steve Johnson is 6'-2"
Austin and Bryant of the Cowboys are both 6'-2"
Floyd and V. Jackson of the Chargers are both 6'-5"
Bowe of KC is 6'-2"
Giants have Nicks at 6'1" and Manningham a 6 footer

Today, the Patriots dropped CB Butler, after surprising many when they dropped Sanders and Merriweather.

Then you look how the direction BB took in molding the defensive backfield, and what jumps out at me is the height. I mean talent wins out first, in that arguably our two best DBs in Chung and McCourty just miss being 6 footers, but check out some of the others:

Safety Josh Barrett at 6'-2" (and 225 for that matter)
CB Leigh Bodden at 6'-1"
Safety Sergio Brown at 6'-2"
CB Ras-I Dowling at 6'-1"
Safety Ihedigbo at 6'-1"
CB A. Molden at 6'-1"

I am not saying they chose height over talent, but does anybody remember having more height in the defensive backfield, and do you think it is a coincidence? This just in, Bellichick is a genius.

It was one of my pet peeves since the days of Ellis "the hobbit" Hobbs. I am glad they went this route, which incidentally goes back to a style they used back in the SB years. This crop is much more Ty Law-esque than Samuel-esque.

I was looking at the Patriots schedule recently and couldn't help but notice the height opposing teams have at WR.

A few cases in point:

Miami's Brandon Marshall 6'-4" and Hartline 6'-2"
Jets add Burress @ 6'5"
Bills Steve Johnson is 6'-2"
Austin and Bryant of the Cowboys are both 6'-2"
Floyd and V. Jackson of the Chargers are both 6'-5"
Bowe of KC is 6'-2"
Giants have Nicks at 6'1" and Manningham a 6 footer

Today, the Patriots dropped CB Butler, after surprising many when they dropped Sanders and Merriweather.

Then you look how the direction BB took in molding the defensive backfield, and what jumps out at me is the height. I mean talent wins out first, in that arguably our two best DBs in Chung and McCourty just miss being 6 footers, but check out some of the others:

Safety Josh Barrett at 6'-2" (and 225 for that matter)
CB Leigh Bodden at 6'-1"
Safety Sergio Brown at 6'-2"
CB Ras-I Dowling at 6'-1"
Safety Ihedigbo at 6'-1"
CB A. Molden at 6'-1"

I am not saying they chose height over talent, but does anybody remember having more height in the defensive backfield, and do you think it is a coincidence? This just in, Bellichick is a genius.

I'm sure it's not a coincidence. I understand they always preferred the quicker CBs with lower center of gravity (maybe not the best way of putting it). they always kept a tall backup for those big receivers (Chad Scott being a good one).

There were always lots of busts among big CBs and BB resisted them, but if the league and offenses have changed, he'll keep changing until he's got the right players.

That's why I love Bodden, it seems like a no compromise acquisition, as he can seriously cover at his size.

As far as the rest, I'm sure the jury is still out. It's still about the player, not the size.

Last edited:
It was one of my pet peeves since the days of Ellis "the hobbit" Hobbs. I am glad they went this route, which incidentally goes back to a style they used back in the SB years. This crop is much more Ty Law-esque than Samuel-esque.

I'm glad they did too. With all the big receivers on their schedule, it seems to make alot of sense.......if they can play. :)

Looks like more press off the line with Safety help and some 1:1 from McCourty and Bodden. Less soft zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents