Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Sub 4.40 40s:

Houston 32
Landry 35
McCauley 38
Hall 39

Last edited:
I don't get it, sub 4.0 40's? Please explain what I am missing. Thanks.

I don't get it, sub 4.0 40's? Please explain what I am missing. Thanks.

I had to go to the official site to sort it out...here's how I translate that post:

Sub 4.40 40s:
Houston 4.32
Landry 4.35
McCauley 4.38
Hall 4.39

I require a little translation now and then. Thanks.

I'm surprised Hall ran that fast and ever more surprised that Nelson didn't.

Landry's time locks him in no worse then top 12.

Nelson and Merriweather might slip a bit.

I guess Leon Hall has "sexy" speed after all. Too bad Darelle Revis chose not to participate. He might have slipped into the back end of the first round or even into the second!!???

I like McCauley from the scouting reports I've read. Anyone else like him too?

I really like McCauley too, most people on this site don't seem to like him.

I really like McCauley too, most people on this site don't seem to like him.

They dont seem to like him because hes not first round talent anymore. hes measurables mostly ..he got benched last year at one point and that definatley hurt his stock..he didnt seem to care or maybe it was just that their whole D blew. Bottom line..he got benched at one point(even Senior Week) and didnt have anywhere near the YEAR people expected him to have. He'll stay around in round 2 possible early 3 because his measurables and upside.

i liked him a lot but i wouldnt want him in round 1

This seems like a good spot to post this even though he hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Fred Bennet was mentioned in another thread as a guy the Pats interviewed. According to his write up at Draft exchange I don't see why he'd interest the Pats at all. Sounds like a guy who lacks the build and inclination to help in run support.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2007/showplayer.php?key=Fred Bennett

This seems like a good spot to post this even though he hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Fred Bennet was mentioned in another thread as a guy the Pats interviewed. According to his write up at Draft exchange I don't see why he'd interest the Pats at all. Sounds like a guy who lacks the build and inclination to help in run support.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2007/showplayer.php?key=Fred Bennett

Actually I looked him up after the mention in Reiss' Blog. 6'1", 196 4.46 speed. good verticle jump. Practiced every day against Sidney Rice & Syvelle Newton and the rest of the fun n' gun squad. Scouts inc gives him an early 4th round grade & said he's good in coverage and reacts well to balls over the shoulder & in the air. Is his lack of aggressiveness in tackling due to his '05 shoulder surgery? Has it improved the farther he has gotten away from that surgery? I don't know. But the Pats have looked for DB help in the 3-4 range the past 4 drafts (okay, not last year), so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they are looking @ him.

It's too bad for us that Landry ran so well at the combine. Selfishly, I wish he had to wait until a visit to the Pats or an one on one talk at his school. Why? I don't have much memory of him playing - saw LSU only twice this year - but he had the 'look' of a star at the combine. Not just his speed, but the way he runs with very sure and nimble feet, under a perfectly positioned, squared up torso. He had a forceful yet smooth and flowing appearance. I bet he's a team changing player ala Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed. Certain guys just exude that confidence/leadership 'thang' which can't be taught, coached, or forced. Landry is one of those.

Considering Landry seems bound for stardom, maybe the Pats should consider a nearly anything it takes strategy to obtain this guy. You can plan for the future and try to maintain quality, and that's a fine plan, but the Pat's have the nexus of a SB team which may only last as long as Brady (or the Seymour/Wilfork/Warren trioka) is around. Blowing all the available cash to sign A. Thomas and trading both firsts to move up for Landry would instantly make us a dominant D, a crucial factor when viewing next year's schedule. (the offense is for another thread)

It's too bad for us that Landry ran so well at the combine. Selfishly, I wish he had to wait until a visit to the Pats or an one on one talk at his school. Why? I don't have much memory of him playing - saw LSU only twice this year - but he had the 'look' of a star at the combine. Not just his speed, but the way he runs with very sure and nimble feet, under a perfectly positioned, squared up torso. He had a forceful yet smooth and flowing appearance. I bet he's a team changing player ala Ronnie Lott or Ed Reed. Certain guys just exude that confidence/leadership 'thang' which can't be taught, coached, or forced. Landry is one of those.

Considering Landry seems bound for stardom, maybe the Pats should consider a nearly anything it takes strategy to obtain this guy. You can plan for the future and try to maintain quality, and that's a fine plan, but the Pat's have the nexus of a SB team which may only last as long as Brady (or the Seymour/Wilfork/Warren trioka) is around. Blowing all the available cash to sign A. Thomas and trading both firsts to move up for Landry would instantly make us a dominant D, a crucial factor when viewing next year's schedule. (the offense is for another thread)
eh didnt make a difference what he ran..he never would have reached us. once teams look at films fully..they'll realize even if hes not the playmaker Nelson is..hes much more polished and better overall player so he was top 15 no matter what imo

Bennett carried a first round grade coming into the previous season, but he really had a string of poor games and I doubt any of them were due entirely to the shoulder.

MCCauley also had a poor season, but it seems there could be other mitigating factors and distractions. Teams that fall apart and that lose a lot when expected to be decent, tend to go nuclear from the inside out.

There are two CB's that no one has really discussed but both of whom are intriguing on one level or another. Wade of UT and Wilson of Maryland. Wilson has blazing speed, is aggressive in run support, but is vertically challenged to say the least.
Wade reminds me a lot of a faster Samuel. Both should be available in the third or fourth round.

With Hall and Houston probably off the board by the time we pick, it's difficult to project any other CB's with 1st round grades. A lot of people are high on the Texas CB, but he played more like a third round pick.

Bennett carried a first round grade coming into the previous season, but he really had a string of poor games and I doubt any of them were due entirely to the shoulder.

MCCauley also had a poor season, but it seems there could be other mitigating factors and distractions. Teams that fall apart and that lose a lot when expected to be decent, tend to go nuclear from the inside out.

There are two CB's that no one has really discussed but both of whom are intriguing on one level or another. Wade of UT and Wilson of Maryland. Wilson has blazing speed, is aggressive in run support, but is vertically challenged to say the least.
Wade reminds me a lot of a faster Samuel. Both should be available in the third or fourth round.

With Hall and Houston probably off the board by the time we pick, it's difficult to project any other CB's with 1st round grades. A lot of people are high on the Texas CB, but he played more like a third round pick.

I really like Josh Wilson, he seems so much like a guy the Pats would like that I almost feel that he is a sure thing for us in the 2nd-3rd round range.

http://www.nflfans.com/x/2007/showplayer.php?key=Josh Wilson

BTW Ochmed, have you ever posted on another forum as "Lippett"?

Last edited:

Bennett's on my draft list as a safety. I'm much rather spend a third or fourth on Bennett to play safety than a first on Nelson or Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST