PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Darryl Stingley dead at 55...

I never had the pleasure of watching Daryl Stingley play as he was injured when I was 5 and about 5 years prior to my starting to follow the Patriots.

However, Everything I have read and from all the stories I have heard, he was one of the classiest acts in ALL of football.

May he rest in peace.

ImgDyn.jpg

RIP Darryl Stingley 1951-2007​

I hope wherever you are you have been able to find peace.

Great Player....Better Person

RIP Darryl

wow I just heard.....too bad......Tatum will never get the chance to apologize now not that he was going to the Ahole that he is.

Very, very sad, and it is truly a beginning for Darryl.

Actually, the WR tandem going into 1978 was to be Darryl Stingley and Stanley Morgan. Imagine what they could have become together.

**** You Jack Tatum...scum of the earth

Last edited:
A must read...

From Reiss:

The Patriots have compiled comments from former coaches and players regarding Darryl Stingley:
---

Thanks to the Pats FO for making these comments available to the fans -- it's much appreciated. It warms the heart to read the thoughts and emotions of Coach Fairbanks, John Hannah, Sam Bam, and Mike Haynes.

I will always remember when in 1979 at the opening game against Pittsburgh and the Patriots introduced him to the crowd. I bet the game was delayed 15 minutes because of the cheering for him. Very emotional, one of the great sport moments. RIP Darryl and god speed.

I used to work in the Prudential Ctr in Boston.

One day I was leaving work and went next door to the Sheraton Hotel.

Sitting in his wheelchair,all alone,was Darryl Stingley.
He was dressed in a suit,holding a red rose in his lap.

I went up to him and said hello and he gave me a bright smile and said "thanks,man".

To this day,it is an incredibly sad moment.

I am very saddened by this news and a bit angry that his condition in all likelihood cut his life short. Such an enormous tragedy.

**** Jack Tatum, indeed. :mad:

I used to work in the Prudential Ctr in Boston.

One day I was leaving work and went next door to the Sheraton Hotel.

Sitting in his wheelchair,all alone,was Darryl Stingley.
He was dressed in a suit,holding a red rose in his lap.

I went up to him and said hello and he gave me a bright smile and said "thanks,man".

To this day,it is an incredibly sad moment.

Glad you told us this, italia !

Hello, a Denver Bronco fan here. Just wanted to stop in and give my condolenses to all Pats fans and the family of Darryl Stingley. From what little I know of him he faced his disability with stoic bravery. His family and the Patriot organization will be in my prayers. RIP Darryl.

RIP Darryl.......that team was never the same after you went down.

Much of the so called "innocence" of the game was lost that day (if you can understand what i mean).

Rather than the hit though, I prefer to look at a man that overcame one of life's roughest moments and went on to inspire many.

You'll never be forgotten Darryl Stingly......and will always be admired.

I would be extremely dissapointed if we did not have Darryls name or initials embroidered into the uniforms this year or a sticker on the helmets.

He may have ended up as one of the best Patriots WRs ever if not for that horrific hit.

God Bless Darryl..We will miss you and may you rest in peace and hope you will be catching some passes again up there in heaven where no one has disabilities.

This years 2007 team is for you Darryl,May we take it all the way in your memory.
:rocker:

knowing the krafts i wouldnt be surprised if they have some kind of dedication for him in our first home game

Interesting reads:

"I've thought about that throw over and over the years. Could I have changed anything or done anything differently?" Steve Grogan, the Patriots quarterback who threw the pass, said Thursday. "That hit probably was not necessary in a game with no meaning."
Gene Upshaw, who played for the Raiders in that game, got to know Stingley well after the injury. Now executive director of the NFL Players Association, he helped push owners to provide benefits for disabled players: US$48,000 in Stingley's time; $225,000 now.

"After the game, when we found out that Darryl was paralyzed, John told him that from now on he was a Raider and we should treat him as one," Upshaw said.

During his induction last summer to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Madden's thoughts weren't far from Stingley when he said, "We all like to see hard, aggressive play, but you always want the guy to get up."

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/football/070405/f040513A.html

Often obscured by images of his wild rantings on the sidelines during games was Madden's concern for players. One of the prime examples of this attitude came in the weeks following a Raiders' preseason game against the New England Patriots on August 13, 1978. New England receiver Darryl Stingley was permanently paralyzed by a hit from the Raiders' Jack Tatum, with Madden offering his family's home to Stingley's wife, who stayed there while waiting to be transferred to Chicago to begin rehabilitation..

http://en.allexperts.com/e/j/jo/john_madden_(football).htm

There is a soft side to Madden, too. When New England wide receiver Darryl Stingley was paralyzed by a hit in a 1978 exhibition game at Oakland, Madden spent a lot of time visiting Stingley in the hospital.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/29/SPGO9GVE7I1.DTL

Yeah, if there's a heaven, he's up there running routes...

PFnV

...and if there's a Hell, then I hope I see him suffering there when I die.

Stingley may very well have become the most prolific WR in Patriots history; who knows, maybe he catches that TD pass from Eason in the 1st series of SB XX, and Don Blackmon catches that sure INT-TD a few minutes later...

Posted on the Raiders board:

As a Patriot fan, I hold no ill will against the Raiders for what Tatum did that afternoon. It was a legal hit that no fan should have to defend. Ask Patriot coach Chuck Fairbanks and he will tell you himself that it was a legal hit, albeit a vicious hit.

"I saw replays many, many times, and many times Jack Tatum was criticized," Fairbanks said. "But there wasn't anything at the time that was illegal about that play. I do think probably that play was a forerunner for some of the changes in rules that exist today that are more protective of receivers, especially if there is head-to-head-type contact. I think that probably pre-empted some of the things that happened today."

Unfortunately a young man's career and life was cut short. Raiders and Patriots alike have been directly effected. Steve Grogan questions the throw and what he might had been able to do differently to avoid the incident. Upshaw and Madden went out of their way to befriend Stingley and his family. It was a sad unfortunate incident that occured and even an apology could help everyone affected.

As football fans, we want to see the big hits. But as Madden said in his induction into the Hall of Fame, we want to see them get up.

Hits happen and there are dirty players out there that proud themselves on punishing their opponents. Some players need to be in that mindset to go out there day in and day out. Rodney Harrison has long been one of those guys and I am sure I am not the only Pats fan to have to defend his hits with opposing fans that always want to scream foul. Do I want to see him lay out Marvin Harrison? Sure. Do I want to see him demolish Rod Smith? Absolutely. Is that wrong?

Quote:

"After the game, when we found out that Darryl was paralyzed, John told him that from now on he was a Raider and we should treat him as one," Upshaw said.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/football/070405/f040513A.html

I remember listening to the game on WBZ Radio. It was late east coast time since it was at Oakland. It was in the middle of my football camp my senior year in HS. You knew he was seriously injured by Gil's description. Didn't
really find out the severity until the next am. Definately, changed the way you looked at things.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back