Welcome to PatsFans.com

Cut Down Day Request

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by shmessy, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shmessy

shmessy Maude Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

This is the day. Going from 75 to 53.

These young men put their bodies, souls and financial welfare on the line for the past few months.

It always turns my stomach when I see posts celebrating a player being cut. Let's try to keep a human and humane perspective today. No one would celebrate reading about layoffs at a factory (unless it's in Tehran!).

Thanks.
  2. shmessy

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

......and my second request is that Marquice Cole makes the team!
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  3. smg93

smg93 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Good post.
  4. patchick

patchick Moderatrix Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Thanks, Shmessy. There are a lot of dreams on the line today across the league...some of the guys cut will get other chances, but for many it's the last day in the game that has been their whole lives. No laughing matter, that.
  5. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

I've never seen someone openly celebrate about a cut like this: :rocker: or :singing: or even :D.

What I have seen is people state that they thought that person would get cut and, for the most part, state their reasons.
  6. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Well said. I've never understood the disdain for players that don't make the team, as though it's something they're doing wrong (as opposed to be being beaten out by superior talents). Now, if it's a Haynesworth type situation where the guy should be better but clearly doesn't have the work ethic, that's a different story. But most of the time (and on this year's team especially with all the positional battles), the guys getting cut are hard working and talented, just not talented enough to beat out the top 53.
  7. patchick

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Really? You've never seen the likes of "It's about time! See you in the Taco Bell checkout line!!!" I suspect that's the kind of celebration the OP was thinking of.
  8. MoLewisrocks

MoLewisrocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Then you're not paying attention because it happens a lot here. Same with critiques that like debates here get needlessly ugly and personal. Ian used to remind posters periodically when player performance discussions get really pointed and nasty that players and their families and friends routinely lurk here.

Would have been nice to couple this request with one that all cuts be limited to one thread or at least individual threads be merged as a matter of course. And discussion of individual cuts or non cuts would probably be best served with one of DI's kneejerk discussion threads...
  9. patsfaninpittsburgh

patsfaninpittsburgh Banned

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

"I've never seen....."

Yup, somebody put their Captain Obvious briefs on this morning.
  10. goheels22002

goheels22002 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

What if Bernie Pollard or Santonio Holmes gets cut?
  11. Joey007

Joey007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

I mean, that's the exception, right?? :D
  12. Joey007

Joey007 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Where were you when we cut Ochocinco?? :confused:
  13. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

I was on a hiatus. But this is true. I withdraw my original contention.
  14. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

15. patchick

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Good thought...how about I make 3 omnibus threads: Pats cutdowns news, Pats cutdowns discussion, and an around the league cutdowns thread?
  16. Sicilian

Sicilian Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

That would be helpful, as having one thread just for the news would help me (and a lot of posters I think) keep up with the cuts without having to track down links through a huge discussion thread.
  17. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

There's already an around the league cutdowns thread. It should be on Page 2. Just bump that one and you save yourself five minutes.
  18. jlu52

jlu52 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There are exceptions to every rule. IMHO, you have mentioned two. Karma be a lady tonight if Pollard were ever to get the axe. That said, I hope Ebner makes the Patriots 53. He is raw, but he makes plays and never quits for a millesecond.
  19. tatepatsfan

tatepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

What time are cuts expected to be announced? I know they are due by 9:00 pm, but was wondering if they might trickle in over the course of the day.
  20. KontradictioN

Ratings:
    +94 / 2 / -2

#24 Jersey

Ebner isn't going anywhere. He adds too much special teams value and has the opportunity to ride the pine while being coached up on the defensive side of the ball.
  21. patsinthesnow

patsinthesnow PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

#87 Jersey

Always got to think on the opposite end for cut down days. You have guys like Nate Ebner who will be ecstatic after thinking themselves as longshots to make the team back in May.
  22. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

They are trickling in for other teams already even if not official or announced. Depends on who is talking (players, agents, insiders...). Pats tend to hold off 'til the deadline has passed on formally announcing anything.

FYI that should be included in any thread.

Adam Caplan‏@caplannfl

Players waived Thursday and Friday are eligible to be claimed off waivers on Saturday (12 p.m. ET).

I believe that makes 'noon on Sunday the time PS signings can commence.

And a reminder that making it to the 53 today doesn't guarantee you're still there on opening day. Lots of guys will celebrate this afternoon only to be cut in the coming days, week or first few weeks of the season as other options or situations arise. 46-53 are never really etched in stone.
  23. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

What we often forget is how exceptional all these guys are as athletes. To get an invite to any major sports tryout identifies you as an exceptional athlete.

We often forget this when they are not as good as the best in the world at their sport.

How many kids play HS football each year and what % ever get an invite to try out for a NFL roster?

The coaches see how hard these guys work and it must be brutal for them to have to cut guys they know are good people who care and give their best effort everyday.
  24. betterthanthealternative

betterthanthealternative Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I appreciate the direction of this, but would disagree in that anyone who is even invited to an NFL camp is one of the best in the world at their sport. They are in the top 1% of all the people playing it. 99th percentile pretty much makes you "one of the best in the world."
  25. patfanken

patfanken Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -2

#91 Jersey

I appreciate this sentiment. Twice I have been a victim of the feeling, though only once when I thought there was actually a chance I could make the team. Even when you KNOW its coming it doesn't make it any easier, or less awkward, and uncomfortable. You say quick good byes to several former good friends, who are both sorry to see you go, and thrilled that its not them.

In the end all you have are some great stories from this small brush with fame, And as the years fly past the "only if" stories seem to grow more elaborate, even though you understand that you probably really never had a chance. Altogether over 2 summers I spent close to 4 steaming months banging my head against bigger and better athletes pursuing a dream I knew from the start was very unlikely. 2 of the best summers of my life,

See Shmessy. You've taken me down a maudlin memory lane. Now I feel guilty and I'm going to have to call and cancel the caterer for that party I was going to have to celebrate Serio Brown getting cut today. Probably just as well since he spoiled the party anyways by playing his best game as a Patriot against the Giants. :)

Truth be told, I'm probably jealous. Back in the day, I WAS Sergio Brown, just as bad, but only I didn't have the 2 year career at the bottom of a roster. Damned that 45 man roster. ;)
  26. shmessy

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Wow. That's exactly the kind of thing I had in mind when posting this thread. Thanks for sharing that, Ken.
  27. MoLewisrocks

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

Turns out there is a short waiver wire in effect for players released today, and a long one for players released yesterday. Claims must be made by 'noon Saturday and at THAT time PS players can begin to be signed.

Here is a listing of the other significant days and times to wrap up the march to the regular season.

28. borg

borg Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I think as a group, PatsFans members should head down to Gillette and be ready to console those unfortunate 22. Group hugs and muffin baskets will surely be needed.
  29. Mike the Brit

Mike the Brit Minuteman Target PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +18 / 1 / -0

Just use the search function on "Taco Bell". No names named, but patchick and shmessy are dead on.

You could also look for rude and not very funny distortions of Ihedigbo's name and stuff about Sergio Brown that must be hurtful for them and their families. I wonder how many posters had parents who pushed supermarket trolleys collecting the empties outside frat house parties so as to put food on their table like Ihedigbo's did.

For those who think that mocking people's failure is funny, we have an excellent thread on the Jets.

Anyone can root for Brady or The Gronk. Part of being a real fan is to appreciate everyone who pulls on the jersey and gives his best effort in a really brutal sport. All credit to them!
  30. ctpatsfan77

ctpatsfan77 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -1

FWIW, I don't think successful late-round players really view themselves that way. As an example, consider TFB's comments to Kraft back in 2000.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.