PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Curran: Patriots will be "extremely and uncharacteristically" aggressive in Free Agency

Hopefully this is true, and it means we get Hunter Henry and a top flight WR as part of this aggression. If we just end up signing a few reclamation projects, it wouldn't matter who is the QB.
How about Corey Davis, Rashad Higgins, Henry or Jonnu Smith, AND a top-end DT? They can afford all of that.

How about Corey Davis, Rashad Higgins, Henry or Jonnu Smith, AND a top-end DT? They can afford all of that.
I don’t know if I’d trust the longevity of Henry’s remaining years to give him the contract he’d want. He’s a monster. Don’t get me wrong. But he’s logged a LOT of touches over the last two years and those legs have taken their fair share of shots.

I can accept losing seasons and no playoff seasons as long as there's a plan and they stick to it. I do not think there was much of a plan going into 2020. It needs to start now and if the plan is they're going to be aggressive and rebuild fast - great.

No reason why they can't rebuild a team in 3 seasons or less. The Rex Ryan Bills in 2016 were us now - and look where they are.
The plan was to try to coach up a decimated team despite having no resources to add players with. Pretty much all they could do. The piper always has to be paid eventually.

I don’t know if I’d trust the longevity of Henry’s remaining years to give him the contract he’d want. He’s a monster. Don’t get me wrong. But he’s logged a LOT of touches over the last two years and those legs have taken their fair share of shots.
Being aggressive doesn’t mean buying over valued guys on the way down.
They will still want value but they will get a lot of players.

With Brady gone, and the team facing a major rebuild in a division with two young teams already ahead of them (Buffalo being way ahead), New England is not exactly going to be a destination for a lot of free agents. Especially too with beLichick getting pantsed by Brady. Currently the team doesn't have a quarterback either, not one, that's not exactly where you want to start off talks with Allen Robinson or Corey Davis.
Bill belichick and 60 million to build with is about as attractive as it gets.

We should resign guy, Andrews, bethel, Byrd and slater!

we should sign 3 free agents - wr Samuel, wr Reynolds and a veteran qb (tbd).

in the draft, we load up on defense and not just defensive backs.

At the end of the day money talks with players. I doubt very much they care where they go.

We'll see what the roster looks like next fall. Hopefully this season was a major kick in the ass for Belichick. Frankly he had it coming. Now he needs to start with the position he f*cked up worst of the all... quarterback. I think the team will be fortunate to compete for a wild card spot next season. But if they're not contending for the division again by 2022 then Belichick is going to be taking A LOT of heat.

The team has a million holes but that WR group you're putting together is not even close to good enough. According to you their WR depth chart would be Edelman, Harry, Meyers, Byrd, and Samuel or Reynolds (they're not signing both). What franchise FA quarterback is going to sign up for that?

Let's not prioritize Slater either. If he won't take a significant hometown discount then see ya later. They can find someone else to call the coin toss and give post-game speeches.

I think Belichick has always been a defense first team builder so you don't have to concern yourself with him "loading up on defense." Especially now that he's looking out for his son.

I think we should do the exact opposite. Defense isn’t really the problem. Gave up the 7th least points, they were #8 against the pass. 7th worst against the run. Need to concentrate on run stoppers. Don’t need great draft capital or FA capital to fix that.

OFFENSE is where this team needs to concentrate. EXPLOSIVE weapons are needed more than anything. Samuel would be a nice piece, but I would aim higher. And I would get AT LEAST 2 Explosive WR’s in the FA/Draft. I don’t think Reynolds is that explosive. Sign a good FA TE so the team doesn’t have to rely on the young TE’s to be the focus. Bridge QB is the way to go, and the draft their franchise QB in the 1st round, and from rounds 2-4, nothing but explosive offensive weapons. You can hit on effective defenders later on.

I agree on one thing, I would like to see them sign some of their own FAs.

Here's what BB should do:

Free Agency:
-Sign Hunter Henry
-Sign Curtis Samuel
-Sign Corey Davis
-Sign Fitzmagic as a bridge QB

Draft:
-Mac Jones at #15
The rest of the draft should be defense
i agree on the FA list,maybe add dalton or if he becomes available jameis winston.draft i would go defense the first 2 rounds,then take a flyer on QB jamie newman

Last edited:
The Patriots have to be aggressive just to fill out their 53 man roster. In addition
to weaknesses at many spots, they have more than 20 additional free agents
in March to replace.

Bert breer said on toucher and rich the Patriots are aggressively going to go after Matt Stafford.

And if they don't get him will be in on every other QB like Jimmy G etc.

Kind of uncharacteristic for Bill. But at his age and brady's success I think he wants to compete now to show he can win without brady.

Bert breer said on toucher and rich the Patriots are aggressively going to go after Matt Stafford.

And if they don't get him will be in on every other QB like Jimmy G etc.

Kind of uncharacteristic for Bill. But at his age and brady's success I think he wants to compete now to show he can win without brady.
Man, I don't like it at all but I understand I guess. Forget the rebuild, just try to win now which goes against everything the Pats have been about for the last 20 years. The Patriot Way is officially dead it seems. The worst part is if they trade the draft picks for a loser like Stafford, it just pushes the rebuild down the road which means mediocrity for a long time.

The plan was to try to coach up a decimated team despite having no resources to add players with. Pretty much all they could do. The piper always has to be paid eventually.
That's not a Real plan, at all.

Being aggressive doesn’t mean buying over valued guys on the way down.
Mo' Snuze and Fat Thor say hello.

Not without TFB it isn't.

Belichick views himself in the vein of Tom Landry and Paul Brown: the "system" and "scheme" is more valuable than the player.

He thinks every player is expendable. Plus, he has an ego. He probably looks at last year and thinks they simply lost a few close games.

So I doubt they improve next year.

Man, I don't like it at all but I understand I guess. Forget the rebuild, just try to win now which goes against everything the Pats have been about for the last 20 years. The Patriot Way is officially dead it seems. The worst part is if they trade the draft picks for a loser like Stafford, it just pushes the rebuild down the road which means mediocrity for a long time.
To have any chance to compete, the Patriots need a much better veteran quarterback than Cam Newton.
As you mention, the draft picks that you forfeit may cause the loss of a good wide receiver or tight end.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back